The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tory88
That's excellent news! Even if you do decide to leave teaching it's still great to know it was definitely your choice, and that you obviously made a lot of progress over the year. Well done!

Pick on or two things that you really care about - if I were you it would be talking when someone else is talking (my pet hate). Start the lesson by saying you were really unhappy with how much it happened last time, and that you don't expect it to happen at all in the lesson. If it does (and it will), give on verbal warning and then come down as hard as possible - either throw the pupil out or give them a short detention (just something like "e'll have to have a discussion after school about why you think that's acceptable). The verbal warnign should give a choice - "if you do that again we're going to have to have a chat after school". I also find it useful to run informal 10-minute detention after the lesson if it runs into break, lunch or after school - they're way more effective than it feels like they should be.

That's how I approached a year 8 class I'd completely lost in my first placement anyway - it took 3 or 4 lessons where I had an awful lot of pupils in detention, but then they got the message.

Thanks Tory. I am gonna do more detention from now on. If I don't I will have more trouble in the long run.
Original post by laura.a.c265
I always found the service premium an odd one, my daughters junior school claimed hers as we were both serving RAF but she was miles ahead of her class and never had any issues settling in when we moved around. I found that to be the case with 99% of service kids. I guess at least there was extra money in the pot to help out the ones who did need it.

There isn't any gap in academic achievement but some service children apparently need additional pastoral support and have problems forming friendships. I don't tend to do anything meaningful with our SP budget.
When you're completing a description of your duties for applications, what do you include?
Eurgh, last day of the holidays today! I've also still not planned anything for this week so tomorrow should be interesting!

It's gonna be so tough waking up at 530 tomorrow!
Original post by Samus2
Eurgh, last day of the holidays today! I've also still not planned anything for this week so tomorrow should be interesting!

It's gonna be so tough waking up at 530 tomorrow!

Ive managed to sort tomorrow so having a quiet evening with my husband and some netflix before the madness starts over again.
My husband has pointed out that every day now is one day closer to the end, 23 days and counting.....
The busier i am the faster time will go, so going to bury myself in the remainders of this course and my final essay and prey it flies by!
Original post by Ratchit99
Ive managed to sort tomorrow so having a quiet evening with my husband and some netflix before the madness starts over again.
My husband has pointed out that every day now is one day closer to the end, 23 days and counting.....
The busier i am the faster time will go, so going to bury myself in the remainders of this course and my final essay and prey it flies by!

I recommend a countdown widget on your computer.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I recommend a countdown widget on your computer.

I think that might be a countdown too far. I have an academic wall calendar where I mark my classes deadlines, homework etc as well as uni deadlines and ive been striking through weeks as theyve gone by.
On friday i have a literal month left...hoorah
I have 38 working days but 5 of those are spent on primary placement. I can see the end :biggrin:
I think that might be a countdown too far. I have an academic wall calendar where I mark my classes deadlines, homework etc as well as uni deadlines and ive been striking through weeks as theyve gone by.

Not for me. 75 days left until I retire.

I strike out my days on my uni calendar :P

40 working days left for me. It doesn't sound like much but then I remember it is mid/late June I finish which sounds ages off!
Original post by Airfairy

40 working days left for me. It doesn't sound like much but then I remember it is mid/late June I finish which sounds ages off!

Yeah we finish our second placement at half term then have 6 days enrichment afterwards so just sorting out where to go for that, then its all uni based with break up mid-june, so i have saturday day tickets to download festival to celebrate :smile:

Mid-June sounds like no time at all when you remember we have half term and bank holidays too to make things more interesting.

Yeah we finish our second placement at half term then have 6 days enrichment afterwards so just sorting out where to go for that, then its all uni based with break up mid-june, so i have saturday day tickets to download festival to celebrate :smile:

I have tickets to go and see Wicked the evening I finish :biggrin: I usually work at download but I think this year I might just sleep right through it.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Mid-June sounds like no time at all when you remember we have half term and bank holidays too to make things more interesting.

I have tickets to go and see Wicked the evening I finish :biggrin: I usually work at download but I think this year I might just sleep right through it.

I love wicked, such a great show :smile:
I love wicked, such a great show :smile:

We've only ever seen a bootleg copy but absolutely love the songs. I finish uni for the very last time at 3pm and get straight in the car to drive for three hours to see it :biggrin:
We've only ever seen a bootleg copy but absolutely love the songs. I finish uni for the very last time at 3pm and get straight in the car to drive for three hours to see it :biggrin:

Awesome, you seeing it on the west end because thats the best version! Just amazing, excellent, love it! You are very lucky!
Original post by bellylaugh
Well done on getting an interview! I had my first NQT interview a few weeks back so I thought I'd tell you how I structured mine. Might be of some help?

Introduction - your name, what you're there to do (i.e.: teach them about ...)
Behaviour management - you need to do this straight away, before you start teaching them. Lay out your expectations up front. When you're talking, they're silent. When you clap your hands/count down to zero/ring a bell (whatever technique you use to get their attention) then they need to stop talking, put their pens down and look at you. Once you've got your expectations out there, they'll know where they stand with you.
Brief intro/starter - Introduce the topic - Afl - what do they already know? How confident do they feel in that subject etc? This will help you know how to differentiate. Model anything you need to model.
Main task - about 10-15 mins I'd say. Mini-plenaries if necessary. Show clear differentiation and have a challenge for those that might finish early.
Plenary - ask them how they felt about the task, what strategies did they use, how would they do it different next time etc.

Feel free to DM me if you want any more detail on my lesson plan or questions I got asked at the interview.

Thanks for the reply :smile: and to others who have also replied!
oh that's a good idea, I never thought to set out behaviour expectations before the activity other than don't be too loud. I was just going to correct behaviour as I go along.
My timetable has just increased to 15 lessons per week. Going from 8 lesson in last placement to 15 in new school.

How do you all plan for so many lessons per week? Any tips would be great :smile:
Is it inappropriate to ask out the ict technician at my placement school? :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it inappropriate to ask out the ict technician at my placement school? :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, do it.

It'd be weird to ask mine out - I have to walk through their offices to get out of mine but if you don't have that issue then do it.
Nope, do it.

It'd be weird to ask mine out - I have to walk through their offices to get out of mine but if you don't have that issue then do it.

Well I want to but he shares his office with someone else so don't know how to get him on his own to ask him. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending