The Student Room Group

Applying for New York University?

Hey everyone,
I'm planning on applying to NYU from the UK and was just wondering if anyone has applied before or if anyone goes there and could give me any sort of tips? Any help would be appreciated such as anything to do with SAT prep or ACT or anything like that, or the equivalent A level grades? I've been finding it hard to somewhat analyse exactly what they're looking for such as a certain grade or something.

Any help would be appreciated about any of it, thanks!
Why do you want to study there, as opposed to a university in the UK? Just curious
Reply 2
Original post by Smug Life
Why do you want to study there, as opposed to a university in the UK? Just curious

NYU has appealed to me for years, and I do actually quite like what the course I want to do entails (English Lit) whereas in the UK it's different, particularly at the universities i've considered here such as UCL. I think experiencing a whole new atmosphere is interesting as well, and New York is such a lovely place imo!
Reply 3
The first step is figuring out whether it's affordable. NYU is extremely expensive and notoriously stingy with financial aid even with American students.
Reply 4
I'm not the OP, obviously, but thank you for all this information, it was really helpful! One question though - what do you mean about studying at NYU Paris for the first part? I haven't seen anything about the possibility of doing this on NYU's website, please could you explain? Also, I thought that when studying at NYU Paris you still had to pay the normal NYU fees so it wouldn't actually be any cheaper? But if it would be I would love to do it.
Reply 5
Original post by devil09
The first step is figuring out whether it's affordable. NYU is extremely expensive and notoriously stingy with financial aid even with American students.

This is true, however they give out a LOT of academic and sport scholarships
Reply 6
Which one gives a better experience Columbia, or NYU? Are they in the same area of NY? And is it practical to study in NYC?
Original post by jakepds
Which one gives a better experience Columbia, or NYU? Are they in the same area of NY? And is it practical to study in NYC?

Columbia is the better uni, NYU is good but Columbia is better. They're both in NY (NYU is at Washington Square Arch and Columbia is at Morningside Heights). It's practical too study anywhere.
Reply 8
Original post by tehFrance
Columbia is the better uni, NYU is good but Columbia is better. They're both in NY (NYU is at Washington Square Arch and Columbia is at Morningside Heights). It's practical too study anywhere.

What I meant about the practicality was how much it costs to live there. If you have any experience, could you please break down the living costs of living in NY as a student?
NYU Estimated Expenses. Columbia Estimated Expenses. Do your own research, how do you expect to cope at uni without looking things up yourself?
Reply 10
Thats crazy! If you go to UCL or another London university, I get the impression that you can get a catered room for £7000-9000 per year. I wonder where the extra cost comes from considering they are both similar cities.
Did you say that the housing in NY wasn't very nice as well? Was it you that said you lived in an apartment during your time there?
Reply 11
Wait, so in an apartment, there is a bedroom (with two beds I hope :wink:) and a kitchen? Where do you work? And do you have any choice in who you can share with?
Can you remind me what you did, didn't you go into an apartment block?
I'm not complaining about accommodation here ever again..
Reply 13
Original post by Okorange
I'm not complaining about accommodation here ever again..

Which uni do you go to?
Original post by jakepds
Which uni do you go to?

If you turn on signatures in the settings you would see it in my signature. I go to St Andrews.
Reply 15
Original post by Okorange
If you turn on signatures in the settings you would see it in my signature. I go to St Andrews.

I can't see where it says to switch on signatures?
It says on your profile that you go to the uni of Edinburgh or something along this lines. Is St. Andrews joined with Edinburgh or something?
Original post by jakepds
I can't see where it says to switch on signatures?
It says on your profile that you go to the uni of Edinburgh or something along this lines. Is St. Andrews joined with Edinburgh or something?

I'm going to Edinburgh next year.
hey,,,do they accept A levels only ? or gcse only ?or both together ?
hey its been 5 years did u get in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending