The Student Room Group

Veiws on capital punishment?

I recently wrote an essay in English about capital punishment, I started the essay with a view that it was completely wrong but after researching I fought my opinion is completely different and that it's a justifiable thing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So..

What exactly is your question?
I'm all for revenge but capital punishment is too dangerous as innocent people could die, therefore it's ruled out for me.
It costs more, doesn't cut crime and has not the capacity to rectify mistakes. I'm completely against it.

http://www.economist.com/node/13279051

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2011/09/22/death-and-taxes-the-real-cost-of-the-death-penalty/
(edited 9 years ago)
Capital punishment is unnecessary.

It is a throw back.

The Government must maintain the moral high ground over the criminal.

I would not live in a country where the Government could kill me.
And call that justified and faire .
Reply 5
I've always been against capital punishment because I always live by the quote 'two wrongs don't make a right', there are people out there who commit the most unforgivable crimes but I always feel that killing them will make you just as bad. Life imprisonment without parole should be what they get instead of death sentence
I was watching a documentary about the burj al arab and a guy from Birmingham had moved to Dubai to work as a manager there and him and his wife were talking about how happy and safe they were living the high life. He said they didn't even have to lock the doors. I think Dubai has some form of capital punishment but I'm not sure.

I think this is a good case for capital punishment.
Generally, I'm opposed to capital punishment but perhaps rapists deserve some form of mutilation imposed on them as many people say rape is worse than death.
No thanks Jeff.
Completely against it. I haven't heard a convincing argument for it in a long time.
Original post by Anjum - Yasmin
I was watching a documentary about the burj al arab and a guy from Birmingham had moved to Dubai to work as a manager there and him and his wife were talking about how happy and safe they were living the high life. He said they didn't even have to lock the doors. I think Dubai has some form of capital punishment but I'm not sure.

I think this is a good case for capital punishment.
Generally, I'm opposed to capital punishment but perhaps rapists deserve some form of mutilation imposed on them as many people say rape is worse than death.

But what if you're falsely accused? Dubai has been in breech of human rights etc. in the past, I'm pretty sure. It's not all pretty behind the facade of money and honor.

Mutilation for rape? Again, what about those falsely accused?...
Original post by hellodave5
But what if you're falsely accused? Dubai has been in breech of human rights etc. in the past, I'm pretty sure. It's not all pretty behind the facade of money and honor.

Mutilation for rape? Again, what about those falsely accused?...

Yeah not sure about Dubai - I was just offering OP an alternative anecdote.
Yes being falsely accused would be a huge issue, but again that was just a suggestion. Perhaps if technology ever advances so much we can be 100% sure of the rapist?
Tbh death row results to nothing, but I would still like to see harder action taken again rapists and paedophiles so I agree with the poster above who calls for life long sentences.
An eye for an eye is what I believe.

You kill someone, you get killed.
You rape a child, an old man rapes you.
You steal money from a bank, the bank steals money from you. Oh wait, that already happens.

Eh, I guess prison isn't that bad of an idea after all.
And so TSR has moved back onto the capital punishment phase of the cycle...

What purpose does capital punishment serve? What reason is there to endorse state killings?

Does it reduce crime? No.
Does it cost less? No.
Can it guarantee no innocents are killed? No.
It seems hypocritical that the state can kill it is own citizens but citizens who kill others for revenge are condemned.
It is a classist system as the appeals process is long and expensive so only those with a high enough income can afford to fight convictions for a meaningful amount of time.

there are many arguments against it. What is a convincing argument for it?
Original post by Anjum - Yasmin
Yeah not sure about Dubai - I was just offering OP an alternative anecdote.
Yes being falsely accused would be a huge issue, but again that was just a suggestion. Perhaps if technology ever advances so much we can be 100% sure of the rapist?
Tbh death row results to nothing, but I would still like to see harder action taken again rapists and paedophiles so I agree with the poster above who calls for life long sentences.

There is already a maximal prison sentence for punishment, which seems apt. Sentences are already practically a significant part of ones life.
I'm not sure technology will ever be able to identify 100%. What machines can measure, can often be manipulated by people seeking to falsify, unless incredibly complex that it would not be possible - but that I doubt.
That is crazy. I believe if someone kills another person then they should lose all human rights and die. Its no point keeping them alive, they may as well be put down!!!!
In an ideal world I would be in favour of it in cases without mitigation. The trouble is that the media would pile pressure on the police and the police hierarchy being instutionally weak would prosecute the person of least resistance.
Off the top of my head without going to Google I could name nearly 30 people, later proven innocent, who would be in the ground now had we had capital punishment.
So regrettably no.we shouldn't have capital punishment.
The law can't even handle the power to stop and search without abusing it.
Reply 17
Capital punishment it a waste of money and is prone to irreversible injustice. There are plenty of cases in the United States of innocent people being put to death. The populist line is that it's cheaper to execute a convicted murderer but it's actually not. Tax payers in Arizona have spent over $2.7 million on defense costs for convicted murderer Jodi Arias. What a massive waste of money that could have been spent on more important things like better education or health care.
Original post by hellodave5
There is already a maximal prison sentence for punishment, which seems apt. Sentences are already practically a significant part of ones life.
I'm not sure technology will ever be able to identify 100%. What machines can measure, can often be manipulated by people seeking to falsify, unless incredibly complex that it would not be possible - but that I doubt.

Yes it's true about the technology but nobody knows how crime will be treated in, lets say 2050. Or even if there will be crime.
I don't feel maximum prison sentences are enough at the moment and enough isn't done to rehabilitate criminals properly after their sentences are served so they can merge into 'normal' society properly.
But I don't understand how a rapist can do a couple of years in prison and then just be let out. It takes a certain mentality to commit a horrible crime like that and it can't be 'fixed' with a decade in prison. They need more help from psychologists/ longer time in prison before they can be gradually let into normal society again.
It is absolutely abhorrent that we even have to discuss this in 2015. You are going to punish someone for the crime of murder by committing the same crime? The person carring out the execution is just a murderer as well, how would it be OK for that person to kill someone but not OK for the person who's being executed? Very amusing that a lot of people who support this are the same far right wingers who value life so much that they wish to ban abortions yet would have no problem having someone executed, including innocent people. This practice belongs in the Middle Ages.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending