The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by DelphiDeWitt
I'm finding getting work experience and volunteering in London pretty difficult. I have zero contacts up here!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Email consultant's secretaries. Loads of hospitals in London. I sent 10ish emails and got 2 shadowing placements out of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liam__
Email consultant's secretaries. Loads of hospitals in London. I sent 10ish emails and got 2 shadowing placements out of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, where would I find secretary's contact information? I haven't had luck on NHS websites.
Reply 382
Hi everyone :smile:

I'm new to the thread. I'm currently in my second year for BA English Lit & Linguistics at QMUL, and I'm going to begin revising for the GAMSAT in the next few weeks. Just out of interest, have I left it really late? I've read a couple of other threads and some people say that 3 months is enough, others have prepared for a year.

Any comments?

Also, how is everyone doing on extra-curriculars? I wanted some advice on how this sounds;

- Scouts group leader
- Employment doing admin at a childcare facility, so understand healthcare policies, etc
- Volunteered for a few cancer charities
- Volunteered at a government hospital in Pakistan for 2 weeks
- Experience looking after an ill family member

I feel like that's not enough, but that may just be because St George's (which is my focus) has a Hell of a list regarding work experience.

All comments and advice welcome! And as for any study groups in London, I'm definitely up for that :smile:
Original post by hen_bee
Hi everyone :smile:

I'm new to the thread. I'm currently in my second year for BA English Lit & Linguistics at QMUL, and I'm going to begin revising for the GAMSAT in the next few weeks. Just out of interest, have I left it really late? I've read a couple of other threads and some people say that 3 months is enough, others have prepared for a year.

Any comments?

Also, how is everyone doing on extra-curriculars? I wanted some advice on how this sounds;

- Scouts group leader
- Employment doing admin at a childcare facility, so understand healthcare policies, etc
- Volunteered for a few cancer charities
- Volunteered at a government hospital in Pakistan for 2 weeks
- Experience looking after an ill family member

I feel like that's not enough, but that may just be because St George's (which is my focus) has a Hell of a list regarding work experience.

All comments and advice welcome! And as for any study groups in London, I'm definitely up for that :smile:

Hey, I'm part of a GAMSAT specific London study group in its infancy. Fancy joining? We're meeting this Saturday.

I actually spoke with SGUL earlier today and they said they really want experience in care settings and roles. But at the same time, a variety of experience. So regarding work experience, you're looking really good. Probably best to make sure however that you are continuing to volunteer in a care setting now and will be regularly until your interview to show committment (e.g. a few hours per week).
Reply 384
Ah, where would I find secretary's contact information? I haven't had luck on NHS websites.

The internet? Seriously, be resourceful. Nobody's going to spoon feed you. The GMC has a register of every doctor in the UK, so find some local ones and get Googleing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liam__
The internet? Seriously, be resourceful. Nobody's going to spoon feed you. The GMC has a register of every doctor in the UK, so find some local ones and get Googleing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fantastic how patient you are. I did not know GMC had a register. So bloody chill. Idiot.
Reply 386
Fantastic how patient you are. I did not know GMC had a register. So bloody chill. Idiot.

I need to chill? All I was alluding to is that you should do some research before coming on here asking silly questions. Literally googling "consultant secretary email London" brings up numerous results, but you weren't even capable of doing that!? Despite this I still gave you the info you were looking for, and was called an idiot in return. Charming.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 387
Hey, I'm part of a GAMSAT specific London study group in its infancy. Fancy joining? We're meeting this Saturday.

I actually spoke with SGUL earlier today and they said they really want experience in care settings and roles. But at the same time, a variety of experience. So regarding work experience, you're looking really good. Probably best to make sure however that you are continuing to volunteer in a care setting now and will be regularly until your interview to show committment (e.g. a few hours per week).

Ooh, I do like the sound of that! Whereabouts in London? I'm based East way :smile:

That's nice to hear someone say! I'm definitely going to keep at it until I graduate from QM, so here's to hoping it's enough...
I'm finding getting work experience and volunteering in London pretty difficult. I have zero contacts up here!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're not in full time study/employment then I would definitely recommend getting a HCA job. Voluntary work is near impossible if you don't already have previous care work experience and consultants rarely ever reply back to emails - but if you can get some shadowing work you'll definitely stand out.
Reply 389

Posted from TSR Mobile

GP surgeries! So long as it's not in your area, you can register it as "work experience" and shadow GPs. Or volunteer at NHS hospitals. I've heard that old-age communities are received well on apps too, and for that you just walk into one, express interest in volunteering and go from there. Usually you need a DRB done, but they can do it through the company :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hospital+volunteering+london

No need to thank me...
Reply 391
Hi everyone! I am also new to this thread! Is anyone here re-doing any A-Levels to get into a specific University? I really want to go to Southampton but they want an A Level in Chemistry or Biology. Unfortunately, (I won't bore you with the details) I got a D for Biology and did not even do Chemistry. However, I am predicted a 1st for my degree in Psychology :smile:
Thanks man but I've written applications to many of these places already. Finding volunteering itself isn't hard, it's hearing back and securing something that doesn't clash with daytime work hours. Maybe I'm just being impatient haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just be patient. Also red cross etc are good too. But make sure its something you want to do and can put the hours into as nothing worse than someone doing something haphazardly! Kings have a recruitment one in June and I know they let volunteers after 3-6 months apply for work experience. If not call local hospices and nursing homes!

On the plus side.. Alex Vause :perv: :sexface:
Original post by sjla94
Hi everyone! I am also new to this thread! Is anyone here re-doing any A-Levels to get into a specific University? I really want to go to Southampton but they want an A Level in Chemistry or Biology. Unfortunately, (I won't bore you with the details) I got a D for Biology and did not even do Chemistry. However, I am predicted a 1st for my degree in Psychology :smile:

I did a classics degree and took a chemistry a level after I finished purely to apply to Southampton. However, I hadn't done it the first time around, which may make a difference. Best to call them and ask about their policy on resits I reckon!

Edit: I just realised you didn't do Chem the first time around. In which case it may be worth doing (although if it's just for Southampton it may be a bit of a waste of time/money). Southampton only require a c at Chemistry a level, no other science required at a level, so don't worry about your biology result!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lcsurfer
Just be patient. Also red cross etc are good too. But make sure its something you want to do and can put the hours into as nothing worse than someone doing something haphazardly! Kings have a recruitment one in June and I know they let volunteers after 3-6 months apply for work experience. If not call local hospices and nursing homes!

On the plus side.. Alex Vause :perv: :sexface:

Vause is the sex. Can't wait until S3!

Are you at Kings? I'm planing to finish my application for there tonight (the online application is ball ache long!) I'm keen to go there as they apparently have the best reputation for treating liver disorders in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 395
Original post by JenniB22
I did a classics degree and took a chemistry a level after I finished purely to apply to Southampton. However, I hadn't done it the first time around, which may make a difference. Best to call them and ask about their policy on resits I reckon!

Edit: I just realised you didn't do Chem the first time around. In which case it may be worth doing (although if it's just for Southampton it may be a bit of a waste of time/money). Southampton only require a c at Chemistry a level, no other science required at a level, so don't worry about your biology result!

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you were studying for Chemistry - were you a self-taught candidate? or did you apply through a college? I am just thinking that it would probably be beneficial to do Chemistry because I haven't really done much of it for my degree. But I am still thinking about it. I also need an AS in chemistry to get in to Barts :dry: So it may be worth doing!

So are you in a GEM course now? :smile:
Original post by sjla94
When you were studying for Chemistry - were you a self-taught candidate? or did you apply through a college? I am just thinking that it would probably be beneficial to do Chemistry because I haven't really done much of it for my degree. But I am still thinking about it. I also need an AS in chemistry to get in to Barts :dry: So it may be worth doing!

So are you in a GEM course now? :smile:

Kind of, I was an independent candidate, but I had some help from a friend from uni who's doing a DPhil in Chemistry. I went back to Oxford for 2 hour lessons with him pretty much every weekend for about 9 months and learned it fairly easy in that time without much extra study. Once you've done a degree A Levels are not too difficult to be honest.

Don't do it just because you think it would be beneficial for doing medicine; if unis don't ask for it then it won't confer any advantage! I would only do it if the unis specifically require it, like Barts or Southampton, yes :smile: Apart from anything else, it can cost quite a lot of money....

I'm starting GEM at Southampton this September, really exciting!!
Reply 397
Original post by JenniB22
Kind of, I was an independent candidate, but I had some help from a friend from uni who's doing a DPhil in Chemistry. I went back to Oxford for 2 hour lessons with him pretty much every weekend for about 9 months and learned it fairly easy in that time without much extra study. Once you've done a degree A Levels are not too difficult to be honest.

Don't do it just because you think it would be beneficial for doing medicine; if unis don't ask for it then it won't confer any advantage! I would only do it if the unis specifically require it, like Barts or Southampton, yes :smile: Apart from anything else, it can cost quite a lot of money....

I'm starting GEM at Southampton this September, really exciting!!

Oh that's amazing! Can I ask what kind of volunteering and work experience you did prior to applying?

Also, where did you do your controlled assessments for Chemistry? Im finding it really hard to find a place lol.
Original post by sjla94
Oh that's amazing! Can I ask what kind of volunteering and work experience you did prior to applying?

Also, where did you do your controlled assessments for Chemistry? Im finding it really hard to find a place lol.

I had a week of shadowing anaesthetists and I did St. John Ambulance for about 6 months. Plus volunteer tutoring for kids in London.

It kind of depends where you live. Basically you'll need to google colleges/schools that will take external candidates and then work out which ones will do the right exam board (they don't all offer all of them) and also where you can do the practicals, because most colleges don't do it. I ended up doing mine in a private college in South Kensington, because I needed somewhere not too far from me that would do the practicals. They did the Chemistry practicals over a weekend and it was very handy, but it cost an absolute bomb. I had to ask my parents to pay for it because I simply couldn't afford it....
Vause is the sex. Can't wait until S3!

Are you at Kings? I'm planing to finish my application for there tonight (the online application is ball ache long!) I'm keen to go there as they apparently have the best reputation for treating liver disorders in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes.
Im on my liver rotation in a few weeks too. joy of clinics!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending