The Student Room Group

the climate change debate

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I hope more and more people will see the fraud of 'global warming' or what ever the establishment now wants to call it like they really care for the environment. No, just more taxes and control by government and just another justification for the EU to exist.
Original post by SeaPony
I hope more and more people will see the fraud of 'global warming' or what ever the establishment now wants to call it like they really care for the environment. No, just more taxes and control by government and just another justification for the EU to exist.

I hope one day you'll realise that over 97% of climate scientists (that is, the people who actually know what they're talking about), aren't just making up a global conspiracy for the lulz.
Reply 3
Of course the 'scientists agree' argument... typical naive leftist.
Original post by SeaPony
Of course the 'scientists agree' argument... typical naive leftist.

Mate, it's better than your argument which is... nothing. Of course scientists agree is my argument, because they are the people that actually study it. If we were talking about the finer points of quantum physics would you call me naive because I go with what the scientists agree?
Reply 5
Okay the establishment scientists agree... if they disagree with the narrative you are excluded form the scientific community and your funding would most likely be cut so yes you are probably right.
Original post by SeaPony
Okay the establishment scientists agree... if they disagree with the narrative you are excluded form the scientific community and your funding would most likely be cut so yes you are probably right.

If you can provide me a link to a peer reviewed paper providing solid evidence against climate change from someone who isn't related to the people who lose out on action against climate change, I'll be most impressed. "Plot idea: 97% of the world's scientist contrive an environmental crisis, but are exposed by a plucky band of billionaires and oil companies"
Original post by SeaPony

CLIMATE CHANGE (just because the earth is getting hotter doesn't mean everywhere will receive warmer weather) is happening whether you like it or not.

The sólheimajökull glacier in Iceland has been retreating 100m a year for the last decade because of climate change.

Global warming is not a fraud.
Reply 8
Just the fact that I have argued with your type before and opinions don't change on either side. Just remember when they said London would be under water by now:wink:
Original post by King Hotpie
I hope one day you'll realise that over 97% of climate scientists (that is, the people who actually know what they're talking about), aren't just making up a global conspiracy for the lulz.

This 97% of climate scientists figure is totally bogus.

97% of climate scientists agree that the Earth has warmed over the past 100 years, not that humans are the main factor causing it as you would want us to believe.
Reply 10
Original post by SeaPony

What do you mean "now wants to call it"?

If governments really cared about global warming, they'd have done a lot more by now. In actual fact, it's the fossil fuel companies who have pumped tens of millions of dollars into funding global warming denial.

There isn't a 150 year old conspiracy by scientists to invent global warming, and I'm afraid Alex Jones and the fossil fuel companies aren't exactly truth-seekers.
Original post by SeaPony
Just the fact that I have argued with your type before and opinions don't change on either side. Just remember when they said London would be under water by now:wink:

erm, yes actually... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2520867/New-map-shows-London-underwater-city-Thames-Barrier-built.html

(When I'm going to the Daily frigging Mail for evidence you know it's less a left-right debate and more just plain logic)

Regardless, scientists are very open about the fact it's impossible to predict exactly how the climate will change, the Earth is a very complex system. What is irrefutable though, is that we are affecting it, and not for the better. We are potentially already seeing the effects of this with things like the recent floods.
Original post by King Hotpie
If you can provide me a link to a peer reviewed paper providing solid evidence against climate change from someone who isn't related to the people who lose out on action against climate change, I'll be most impressed. "Plot idea: 97% of the world's scientist contrive an environmental crisis, but are exposed by a plucky band of billionaires and oil companies"

Here's more than 1350+: http://www.populartechnology.net/2009/10/peer-reviewed-papers-supporting.html

Plus the argument that "deniers" are financed by oil companies is a totally absurd one when you look at the actual differences in financial weight between the two sides and we can see that the pro AGW side have far more money. Plus WWF take loads and loads of money from oil companies but don't let those facts get in the way of your political crusade.

At least the anti-AGW side don't force people to pay for them.
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush

97% of climate scientists agree that the Earth has warmed over the past 100 years, not that humans are the main factor causing it as you would want us to believe.

Wrong.

"Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities"
-NASA

And it isn't just them, I just can't be arsed to copy and paste things from Google.
Original post by viddy9
What do you mean "now wants to call it"?

If governments really cared about global warming, they'd have done a lot more by now. In actual fact, it's the fossil fuel companies who have pumped tens of millions of dollars into funding global warming denial.

This is one of the typical tactics of the environmentalist extremists. Say that the people who disagree with you are financed by "Big Oil" or "Big Tobacco" or whatever other nonsense to hide the fact that the pro AGW side get more from big oil than the anti-side do! Look into how much these companies give WWF.
Original post by BasicMistake
Wrong.

"Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities"
-NASA

And it isn't just them, I just can't be arsed to copy and paste things from Google.

Nope, you are wrong.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/11/20/the-97-consensus-myth-busted-by-a-real-survey/

The Oreskes study that this figure comes from actually only says 75% support what you say 97% support.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16

No, more than 97% of climate scientists agree with the theory of anthropogenic global warming, namely that humans are the major cause of global warming.

Original post by SeaPony

Who said that London would be underwater by now?

This is the website of a single man who is strongly against the idea of climate change.

And even if you find a few more, I feel that this is a non-argument. Those who deny climate change are playing a dangerous game. The costs of ignoring it are far too high.
Original post by BasicMistake
This is the website of a single man who is strongly against the idea of climate change.

And even if you find a few more, I feel that this is a non-argument. Those who deny climate change are playing a dangerous game. The costs of ignoring it are far too high.

Yes, so?

Going along with it is far more dangerous because to the true believers doing something about it basically means communism.
Yes, so?

Going along with it is far more dangerous because to the true believers doing something about it basically means communism.

You have lost all credibility with that statement. Communism? How on Earth is propelling technology to preserving the planet as we know it, Communism? Do you look at the Green Party and think that that is the model on which all groups who campaign for the environment is based? Your profile picture also shows you have some sort of hate for Communism and so your opinion is probably so warped that it isn't even coherent.

EDIT: Can you expand on 'Yeah, so?'. I'd like to hear you say that when your grandchildren have to be evacuated due to a flood.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest