The Student Room Group

TSR Indian Cinema Society

Created this thread so all Indian movie lovers can discuss their recent favorite Indian movie and also find out about the upcoming ones. Also find out about the latest songs and news too.
Let's discover wonderful movies, songs and talents in all the different languages of India.

:smile:--Hindi (Bollywood), Punjabi, Malayalam, Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, etc.--:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Nice one. I have only seen one for Bollywood, I'm glad this includes for Tamil, Malayalam and Telugu too.
Reply 2
Original post by DrWasRaz
Nice one. I have only seen one for Bollywood, I'm glad this includes for Tamil, Malayalam and Telugu too.

Yeah I know... There are wonderful movies in Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam too.. :smile:

What are you looking forward too?
Reply 3
We share all our thoughts on Hindi films over on TSR Bollywood Society - worth a read if you're interested! :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=263939&page=350

As for other regional films, I watch Punjabi films every now and then, although they don't release very often. Some examples of ones I've seen are Jatts In Golmaal, Jatt & Juliet, Best Of Luck and Munde UK De. The best Punjabi films are usually slapstick comedies which are extremely funny if done well. :smile:

I've only seen a handful of films in other languages though. The only Tamil film I've seen is Thuppakki which I actually enjoyed quite a bit despite not understanding a word of the language. However, that was remade in Hindi as Holiday (starring Akshay Kumar) which I enjoyed more because I'm just better acquainted with Hindi cinema than South Indian films. Mostly, if a film releases in multiple languages then I will opt for the Hindi version but sometimes it's interesting to explore what the other industries have to offer. I hear that the Tamil version of Lingaa was quite good. On the other hand, I've seen one Telugu film (Naayak: The Leader) which I thought was rubbish and completely nonsensical. :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by asif007
We share all our thoughts on Hindi films over on TSR Bollywood Society - worth a read if you're interested! :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=263939&page=350

As for other regional films, I watch Punjabi films every now and then, although they don't release very often. Some examples of ones I've seen are Jatts In Golmaal, Jatt & Juliet, Best Of Luck and Munde UK De. The best Punjabi films are usually slapstick comedies which are extremely funny if done well. :smile:

I've only seen a handful of films in other languages though. The only Tamil film I've seen is Thuppakki which I actually enjoyed quite a bit despite not understanding a word of the language. However, that was remade in Hindi as Holiday (starring Akshay Kumar) which I enjoyed more because I'm just better acquainted with Hindi cinema than South Indian films. Mostly, if a film releases in multiple languages then I will opt for the Hindi version but sometimes it's interesting to explore what the other industries have to offer. I hear that the Tamil version of Lingaa was quite good. On the other hand, I've seen one Telugu film (Naayak: The Leader) which I thought was rubbish and completely nonsensical. :frown:

Oooh ok. Will check that out. Thanks for the link:smile:
I've never seen Punjabi movies, but might give those a try and I do quite like slapstick comedies too.

Thuppaki was awesome! I love Vijay- a big fan of his even.:biggrin:
Lingaa was ok, it wasn't amazing but hey that's my opinion- You might enjoy it. I love Telugu movies- there are really good movies made in Telugu- I'm Tamil myself, but Telugu movies are sometimes way better than Tamil ones. I haven't watched Nayak, as it didn't sound good.
I didn't understand Telugu before, but I watch movies with subtitles and can now understand Telugu more.
Same goes for Hindi, I watch with subs. Recently watched Bang Bang! and loved it so much!!

What kind of genres films do you watch/prefer? I can suggest some good Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam movies.
Reply 5
Original post by Meddabee
Oooh ok. Will check that out. Thanks for the link:smile:
I've never seen Punjabi movies, but might give those a try and I do quite like slapstick comedies too.

Thuppaki was awesome! I love Vijay- a big fan of his even.:biggrin:
Lingaa was ok, it wasn't amazing but hey that's my opinion- You might enjoy it. I love Telugu movies- there are really good movies made in Telugu- I'm Tamil myself, but Telugu movies are sometimes way better than Tamil ones. I haven't watched Nayak, as it didn't sound good.
I didn't understand Telugu before, but I watch movies with subtitles and can now understand Telugu more.
Same goes for Hindi, I watch with subs. Recently watched Bang Bang! and loved it so much!!

What kind of genres films do you watch/prefer? I can suggest some good Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam movies.

Share some of your opinions with us on TSR Bollywood Society! Would be great to hear from you on there. :smile:

I enjoy everything but I prefer action, romances and comedies as Indian cinema has produced some excellent films in those genres. Like I say, I know Hindi films really well but I don't know a great deal about Tamil films. I'm probably gonna watch the Hindi versions of Lingaa, I and Kochadaiyaan if I get a chance but I know there are a couple of Tamil films which I might enjoy just by themselves, without having to watch the dubbed versions! I hear that Padikathavan and Maryan are quite good too, and Dhanush is a fantastic dancer so I shall check out some more of his films.

Which other Tamil films would you recommend? And do you know any good Telugu films? Naayak was awful so I don't want to watch another one like that - it should be worth my time, lol. :smile:

Bang Bang was excellent! I love Hrithik Roshan but he doesn't make anywhere near enough films to keep himself relevant. He's a brilliant dancer and a great actor but I'm disappointed that we don't see him on screen more than once a year. :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by asif007
Share some of your opinions with us on TSR Bollywood Society! Would be great to hear from you on there. :smile:

I enjoy everything but I prefer action, romances and comedies as Indian cinema has produced some excellent films in those genres. Like I say, I know Hindi films really well but I don't know a great deal about Tamil films. I'm probably gonna watch the Hindi versions of Lingaa, I and Kochadaiyaan if I get a chance but I know there are a couple of Tamil films which I might enjoy just by themselves, without having to watch the dubbed versions! I hear that Padikathavan and Maryan are quite good too, and Dhanush is a fantastic dancer so I shall check out some more of his films.

Which other Tamil films would you recommend? And do you know any good Telugu films? Naayak was awful so I don't want to watch another one like that - it should be worth my time, lol. :smile:

Bang Bang was excellent! I love Hrithik Roshan but he doesn't make anywhere near enough films to keep himself relevant. He's a brilliant dancer and a great actor but I'm disappointed that we don't see him on screen more than once a year. :frown:

Oooh will defo try and share. I have seen the thread, I can see people there know and share quite alot about Bollywood movies- very informative.
Same, I love those genres too but I also like thrillers. However I don't mind the genre, as long as the film is good.

'I' was really nice, you should deffo watch it. Padikathavan is an old one, but yes it's a funny one. Maryan was ok but a little slow. Dhanush's Kutty(a cute movie), Uthama Puthiran(a funny family entertainer) and a recent one called VIP (Vella illatha Pattathari- a masala, so a mixture of everything) are good ones to watch. VIP was really nice and because of the success they may do a sequel, VIP 2, too.
I watched Ennakul Oruvan yesterday, it was a nice thriller. Ambala is also a good action masala movie. Aaha Kalyanam is nice romantic comedy. Surya's Anjaan was also a good one.

Yes, Telugu has really nice movies. I quite like Attarintiki Daredi (Hindi Dubbed version-Daring Baaz), Manam, Greeku Veerudu (HDV- America Vs India), Brindavanam (HDV- The super killadi), 100% Love and Arya 2 (HDV- Arya: Ek Deewana)

Also Julayi(HDV -Dangerous Kiladi), Dookudu (HDV- The real tiger), and Mr Perfect (HDV- No.1 Mr Perfect) are quite good too.
(HDV- Hindi Dubbed Version).

Those are good to watch as a start to Telugu movies, haha, I guess I have recommended alot for a start, but I feel they are really good and are blockbuster hits, so couldn't miss any out. :biggrin: - You can also watch these in HD with subtitles on einthusan.com - this is where I usually watch Telugu and Malayalam movies. But the Hindi dubbed versions are on Youtube too.

I love Hrithik too... Like you said, it is such a shame he doesn't do movies often, as he is a superb actor and so immensely talented. But it is good he picks out really good movies when he does.
Can you recommend any good recent Hindi movies?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
I too like tamil, malyalam and telgu movies very much. The list of favourite movies is very long but the most loved telgu movie was bombrillu and arundhathi. And bangalore days of malayalam was also nice.
Oooh will defo try and share. I have seen the thread, I can see people there know and share quite alot about Bollywood movies- very informative.
Same, I love those genres too but I also like thrillers. However I don't mind the genre, as long as the film is good.

'I' was really nice, you should deffo watch it. Padikathavan is an old one, but yes it's a funny one. Maryan was ok but a little slow. Dhanush's Kutty(a cute movie), Uthama Puthiran(a funny family entertainer) and a recent one called VIP (Vella illatha Pattathari- a masala, so a mixture of everything) are good ones to watch. VIP was really nice and because of the success they may do a sequel, VIP 2, too.
I watched Ennakul Oruvan yesterday, it was a nice thriller. Ambala is also a good action masala movie. Aaha Kalyanam is nice romantic comedy. Surya's Anjaan was also a good one.

Yes, Telugu has really nice movies. I quite like Attarintiki Daredi (Hindi Dubbed version-Daring Baaz), Manam, Greeku Veerudu (HDV- America Vs India), Brindavanam (HDV- The super killadi), 100% Love and Arya 2 (HDV- Arya: Ek Deewana)

Also Julayi(HDV -Dangerous Kiladi), Dookudu (HDV- The real tiger), and Mr Perfect (HDV- No.1 Mr Perfect) are quite good too.
(HDV- Hindi Dubbed Version).

Those are good to watch as a start to Telugu movies, haha, I guess I have recommended alot for a start, but I feel they are really good and are blockbuster hits, so couldn't miss any out. :biggrin: - You can also watch these in HD with subtitles on einthusan.com - this is where I usually watch Telugu and Malayalam movies. But the Hindi dubbed versions are on Youtube too.

I love Hrithik too... Like you said, it is such a shame he doesn't do movies often, as he is a superb actor and so immensely talented. But it is good he picks out really good movies when he does.
Can you recommend any good recent Hindi movies?

Have you watched Anegan?:colondollar:
Reply 9
Original post by Aahilyan
I too like tamil, malyalam and telgu movies very much. The list of favourite movies is very long but the most loved telgu movie was bombrillu and arundhathi. And bangalore days of malayalam was also nice.

Oooh yes, Bommarillu was good, but watched it in Tamil which was called Santhosh Subramanium.
Have you watched Nuvvostanante Nenoddantana (Something Something Unnakum Ennakum in Tamil), it has Siddarth and Trisha. It was such a cute and lovely movie. And yes, Arundathi, loved it!
I quite liked Bangalore Days too, the songs were nice too. I quite like Dulquer, Nivin and Nazriya, so it was a nice watch. Have you watched ABCD (American-Born Confused Desi) it's a malayalam movie with Dulquer in it. It's quite funny and nice movie to watch too.
Reply 10
Original post by TheHonestMisty
Have you watched Anegan?:colondollar:

Yes!!:smile::smile: Have you? Did ya like it?
Yes!!:smile::smile: Have you? Did ya like it?

No I actually haven't! Missed it when it came on tv :frown: Did you like it?
Reply 12
Original post by TheHonestMisty
No I actually haven't! Missed it when it came on tv :frown: Did you like it?

Oooh I see. Yeah it was not a bad film. My sister really liked it, she's watched it atleast 5 times. You can watch it online, it's on most of the major tamil websites.
Oooh I see. Yeah it was not a bad film. My sister really liked it, she's watched it atleast 5 times. You can watch it online, it's on most of the major tamil websites.

hahaa yeah I will watch it after exams!
Thanga Magan?
Let's revivd this
GOLD akshay kumar great film

Quick Reply

Latest