The Student Room Group

Celtic in the EPL - where would they finish?

Poll

Where would Celtic finish in the EPL?

Celtic in the EPL - where would they finish?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
On the current squad? Bottom three.

Given a pre-season and some better signings? Anywhere between West Ham and Aston Villa.

Longer-term, with the right recruitment? Top seven.
Hopefully this never happens.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Hopefully this never happens.

This.

They'd struggle massively in the PL due to the sheer competitiveness that they never experience
Reply 4
Original post by TornadoGR4
This.

They'd struggle massively in the PL due to the sheer competitiveness that they never experience

Didn't they beat Barca last year or the year before?
Original post by studyworm

MK Dons beat Man Utd in the League Cup this season too. Guess upsets happen quite often.
Reply 6
MK Dons beat Man Utd in the League Cup this season too. Guess upsets happen quite often.

MK Dons are not in the Champions League every year.
MK Dons are not in the Champions League every year.

How is that even relevant?
Reply 8
How is that even relevant?

Celtic kept Messi and Co. out for 90 minutes.
Celtic kept Messi and Co. out for 90 minutes.

And MK Dons kept Falc-

Okay, fair point
Bottom half.
They would finish in the bottom 4 but that is only in the short term I mean they are a massive club and if they were in the premier league then presumably they would gain some spending and pulling power. I could see them being a comfortable prem side like stoke with the right investment. However I don't want it to happen I mean first we had the welsh teams and now these what next.
Reply 12
Original post by neal95
They would finish in the bottom 4 but that is only in the short term I mean they are a massive club and if they were in the premier league then presumably they would gain some spending and pulling power. I could see them being a comfortable prem side like stoke with the right investment. However I don't want it to happen I mean first we had the welsh teams and now these what next.

Celtic are better than Swansea, and the latter should be playing in Wales.
Reply 13
Celtic are better than Swansea

Well, they aren't.
Celtic are better than Swansea, and the latter should be playing in Wales.

The Liberty Stadium is in Wales.

#js
With their current squad I'd say bottom half and even then I feel that is being generous.

Hilarious that you think that Celtic could hold their own in the EPL because they beat Barca in the CL one time a few years ago. By that logic, MK Dons could fight for a Champions League spot in the EPL because they beat Utd and Bradford could challenge for the league because they beat Chelsea in the FA Cup.
And MK Dons kept Falc-

Okay, fair point

Falcao hadn't signed at that point. Think our squad from that game only actually retains De Gea (possibly a CB).
Reply 18
The current team would get relegated, however within a few years they would be top 4 and challenging for the title.

Long term success in football in largely driven by money, which is driven by fanbase and marketability. Celtic have one of the biggest fanbases in the UK (60,000 crowd most weeks, at least until recently) and huge global appeal due to the Irish links, and branding. Historically they are probably the biggest club in the UK behind Man Utd and Liverpool, and their decline during the last 15 years has really been due to the collapse of Scottish football. If you put them in the EPL they would be huge.

Rangers would also do well for similar reasons but they don't have the same global appeal that Celtic do, so they would probably be around the level of Spurs.
Original post by Depleted
Falcao hadn't signed at that point. Think our squad from that game only actually retains De Gea (possibly a CB).

I believe Smalling also played that game iirc. Just shows how well Van Baal has done to turn it into a team that beat Liverpool, Spurs, City & took Chelsea all the way

Quick Reply