The Student Room Group

Edexcel iGCSE English Language exam June

Scroll to see replies

Anjum - Yasmin
x

Hey Anjum - Yasmin, is this thread any use to you? :smile:
Reply 61
Would like to apologise for bumping this thread, but it seemed the most logical to use.

I'm studying for English Language A this summer, I just wondered - it may sound like a stupid question - but do I need to study all the texts or do I choose myself what I will answer from? Im guessing by the posts on this thread that its the former.

And will they give you the texts in the exam or do they expect you to know it all by memory?
Original post by hogree
Would like to apologise for bumping this thread, but it seemed the most logical to use.

I'm studying for English Language A this summer, I just wondered - it may sound like a stupid question - but do I need to study all the texts or do I choose myself what I will answer from? Im guessing by the posts on this thread that its the former.

And will they give you the texts in the exam or do they expect you to know it all by memory?

Hi. You need to study all 20 anthologies for section a and b. The ones from jan 2014, june 2014, jan 2015 you probably don't need to study in detail but still do so anyway. They could, for some weird reason throw a curve ball and its good to practice because it helps with the unseen anthology question.

Also apparently the textbook is worthless so I didnt buy it. Not saying that you shouldnt but it could be a waste of money
Reply 63
Original post by Ambrosia_angel
Hi. You need to study all 20 anthologies for section a and b. The ones from jan 2014, june 2014, jan 2015 you probably don't need to study in detail but still do so anyway. They could, for some weird reason throw a curve ball and its good to practice because it helps with the unseen anthology question.

Also apparently the textbook is worthless so I didnt buy it. Not saying that you shouldnt but it could be a waste of money

Cheers.

Well, I got the textbook off Ebay for a Fiver, and as I self-study, I find a textbook useful whether or not it's just piled full of rubbish - it gives me a bit of critical feedback on the situation.
help! test paper B in 9 days, any idea on what is going to be about? x
Hi
Original post by hogree
Cheers.

Well, I got the textbook off Ebay for a Fiver, and as I self-study, I find a textbook useful whether or not it's just piled full of rubbish - it gives me a bit of critical feedback on the situation.

How is studying going?
Reply 67
How is studying going?

Great thanks. Well, to an extent. Running through past papers, but I'm struggling with giving myself a full 45 minutes for the 20-mark question in Paper A. I always seem to cut that one a bit short.

A question for ya. The "In your own words" question. What does that exactly mean? Are you allowed to refer to what the writer writes? Or just no quotations?
Original post by hogree
Great thanks. Well, to an extent. Running through past papers, but I'm struggling with giving myself a full 45 minutes for the 20-mark question in Paper A. I always seem to cut that one a bit short.

A question for ya. The "In your own words" question. What does that exactly mean? Are you allowed to refer to what the writer writes? Or just no quotations?

I struggle with that too. Esp paper 1. My hand hurts so bad. I'm okay with with paper 2 though. I always choose the C to question 2. Fiction is a strong point for me.

No quotations. Pretty much asks for your opinion on the text without directly quoting or using words from it.
Reply 69
I struggle with that too. Esp paper 1. My hand hurts so bad. I'm okay with with paper 2 though. I always choose the C to question 2. Fiction is a strong point for me.

No quotations. Pretty much asks for your opinion on the text without directly quoting or using words from it.

Cool cool. Would you mind an example of your answer to an "In your own words" question for guidance? Cheers.

Yeah. Paper 1 gets long, I don't get on with the two middle questions because I normally go a bit over on them. I like persuade questions in Paper 2 but yeah story can be good sometimes.

Tell you what. What'd be cool is if you sent me one of your past papers for one and I sent you mine.... And we can feed and judge each other? Good idea?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hogree

Hey, the "In your own words" question basically means what is says on the tin... So in your own words, describe the character of_____ or describe how _______.

All you do is list about 5/6 things (in a paragraph) explaining, what YOU think about ________.

Our teacher recommended us to not use any quotes, and, make sure you do not copy out words from the text! I know it sounds odd, but trust me. E.g. the word "ambush" is used. Replace that with "attack" etc. :smile:
Original post by Stellina7
help! test paper B in 9 days, any idea on what is going to be about? x

We did that as our mock... It was on Explorers or boy's messing about wasn't it? We only did Section A, but i found out Section B was king schahriar.

My exams are in June... Count down begins! It's likely to be the follow:
Section A Anthology:
- A Passage to Africa
- Climate Change: The Facts
- Climate Change Webpage.
Section B Anthology:
- Veronica
- An Unknown Girl
- The Necklace
Original post by GCSEStudent903
We did that as our mock... It was on Explorers or boy's messing about wasn't it? We only did Section A, but i found out Section B was king schahriar.

My exams are in June... Count down begins! It's likely to be the follow:
Section A Anthology:
- A Passage to Africa
- Climate Change: The Facts
- Climate Change Webpage.
Section B Anthology:
- Veronica
- An Unknown Girl
- The Necklace

If climate change doesn't come up this year I'd be really surprised. I'm preparing for those two mainly

I'm thinking veronica too. I know this jan was the first exam series that they did an anthology that already appeared. So anything could come up I guess..
Original post by hogree
Cool cool. Would you mind an example of your answer to an "In your own words" question for guidance? Cheers.

Yeah. Paper 1 gets long, I don't get on with the two middle questions because I normally go a bit over on them. I like persuade questions in Paper 2 but yeah story can be good sometimes.

Tell you what. What'd be cool is if you sent me one of your past papers for one and I sent you mine.... And we can feed and judge each other? Good idea?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Check out the resources on the edexcel website. It has top grade exam examples from June 2012. They also have one from either a 2013 or 2014 exam there too. Looks at all levels though. It can give you an idea of "in your own words" plus how much you should write

Thats a really cool idea PM and we can discuss it.
Reply 74
If climate change doesn't come up this year I'd be really surprised. I'm preparing for those two mainly

I'm thinking veronica too. I know this jan was the first exam series that they did an anthology that already appeared. So anything could come up I guess..

Yeah. Would struggle if we got the website to be honest... Any tips for it? Don't have a teacher and it isn't in the old textbook so at a bit of a loose end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hogree
Yeah. Would struggle if we got the website to be honest... Any tips for it? Don't have a teacher and it isn't in the old textbook so at a bit of a loose end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have some notes in my anthology? I hate climate change and the webpage with a passion. Climate change is so dull, along with the webpage. A Passage to Africa is okay...

Veronica is great though! :biggrin:

Which anthology already appeared that they did again?
Reply 77
I have some notes in my anthology?

Would you mind PM'ing them? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which anthology already appeared that they did again?

Explorers or boys messing about
Explorers or boys messing about

Ah okay

Quick Reply

Latest