The Student Room Group

Endings of Enduring love, The great gatsby and Robert browning poetry

I'm making revision notes on the aspects of narrative for all three texts AND I am stuck on Endings, I need some quotes and ideas or advice on how to answer a question on ending e.g. what to include

So the question is: Write about the significance of 'endings' in the three texts: Enduring love, the great Gatsby and Robert Browning
Original post by yolostudent
I'm making revision notes on the aspects of narrative for all three texts AND I am stuck on Endings, I need some quotes and ideas or advice on how to answer a question on ending e.g. what to include

So the question is: Write about the significance of 'endings' in the three texts: Enduring love, the great Gatsby and Robert Browning

Heya, I'm going to put this in the English forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=82
Reply 2
For The Great Gatsby - you should mention that the ending draws significance to the green light. Readers are left with a final image of Gatsby as a powerful presence who lives on despite the destruction of the dream and the decay of the estate. The final quotation I think is potent to the novel the idea that 'Gatsby believed in the green light', 'so we beat on boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past' the final quote is a metaphor for boats against the current, and how when a current pushes a boat back it then continues forward at a slow pace. Therefore, symbolically linking to Gatsby's obsession with the green light and his love for Daisy.
Reply 3
Original post by geolu
For The Great Gatsby - you should mention that the ending draws significance to the green light. Readers are left with a final image of Gatsby as a powerful presence who lives on despite the destruction of the dream and the decay of the estate. The final quotation I think is potent to the novel the idea that 'Gatsby believed in the green light', 'so we beat on boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past' the final quote is a metaphor for boats against the current, and how when a current pushes a boat back it then continues forward at a slow pace. Therefore, symbolically linking to Gatsby's obsession with the green light and his love for Daisy.

But are the readers really left with a powerful presence of Gatsby? because in the end although he was rich and was known by many people, no one came to his funeral even Woflsheim refused and Daisy was off having a holiday. Doesn't this show that he was just stepped on by Daisy and other people who came to his party to just drink, eat and be reckless. I thought he just seemed pathetic and just a guy with a big dream and sorta makes you sympathise with him, especially when his father says he would would have become a great man like James J hill.

These are just my thoughts, if you would like to reply back with your thoughts on these-it would be great ! but other than that thanks for your reply :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending