The Student Room Group

As a student who would you vote for and why?

2 weeks to go until the general election and I'll be a virgin voter (first time to vote).

I guess im slightly skeptical about the policies of the major UK parties and how they'll actually help students like me (bearing in mind I'll be starting uni from September this year).

The tories say they'll be with us through every stage of our life - yet they haven't got any clear cut policies on helping students compared to other parties.

Labour want to cut tuition fees from 9K to 6K - but that's almost nothing. They also want to increase the minimum wage to £8 an hour, with the Greens looking to boost it up to £10 whilst banning exploitive zero hours contracts.

So I guess the real question that remains is do we vote to aid ourselves as students (I.e Labour, Greens) or do we vote for what's best for the whole country (Tories)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Vote UKIP my friend:wink:
Reply 2
Original post by Gazzaaa
2 weeks to go until the general election and I'll be a virgin voter (first time to vote).

I guess im slightly skeptical about the policies of the major UK parties and how they'll actually help students like me (bearing in mind I'll be starting uni from September this year).

The tories say they'll be with us through every stage of our life - yet they haven't got any clear cut policies on helping students compared to other parties.

Labour want to cut tuition fees from 9K to 6K - but that's almost nothing. They also want to increase the minimum wage to £8 an hour, with the Greens looking to boost it up to £10 whilst banning exploitive zero hours contracts.

So I guess the real question that remains is do we vote to aid ourselves as students (I.e Labour, Greens) or do we vote for what's best for the whole country (Tories)?

Wouldn't increasing minimum wage just increase inflation? I thought being a student was expensive already
Reply 3
It would also increase immigration as well. Now they will be paid 11 times more than they would in their home country.
Reply 4
Original post by SeaPony
Vote UKIP my friend:wink:

Giving you a great chance to sell your party here, why UKIP?
Reply 5
Original post by Gazzaaa
Giving you a great chance to sell your party here, why UKIP?

As Nigel says-
'We want our country back'
Reply 6
Original post by SeaPony
As Nigel says-

Sounds like empty words at the moment mate..
Original post by SeaPony
As Nigel says-

Out of interest, what do you think about their policy to legalise guns?
Reply 8
Original post by NekoNoKoi
Out of interest, what do you think about their policy to legalise guns?

Before replying to that

Where does it say in the 2015 manifesto?
Original post by SeaPony
Before replying to that

Where does it say in the 2015 manifesto?

Gimme a minute, I'll try find it again.

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/ukipdev/pages/1103/attachments/original/1429295050/UKIPManifesto2015.pdf?1429295050 Page 55, "UKIP will seek to introduce new personal weapons legislation to reflect progressmade on knife crime and combat the many different kinds of items now used to injure,disfigure or kill"
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Sounds good. People being shot all of the time where I live about time we gave weapons to the good guys and shop keepers.
Original post by SeaPony
Sounds good. People being shot all of the time where I live about time we gave weapons to the good guys and shop keepers.

Classic UKIP, no idea whats even in their manifesto

10/10 Banter
Reply 12
Original post by LordPhylogeny
Classic UKIP, no idea whats even in their manifesto

10/10 Banter

I did actually read the manifesto but in reading the crime and punishment page in reference to legalizing guns in which it did not even mention the word 'gun'. It hardly went into great detail.
Original post by SeaPony
As Nigel says-

Apart from this, may I ask, what else interests you in UKIP?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SeaPony

You should watch 'Bowling for Columbine', good documentary.
Original post by SeaPony

Two wrongs does not make a right.
Reply 16
Original post by NekoNoKoi
You should watch 'Bowling for Columbine', good documentary.

Michael Moore the anti-gun pro establishment hippo?

No thanks. Give weapons to shop owners maybe it will deter yobs from robbing them repeatedly.
Reply 17
Original post by German123
Two wrongs does not make a right.

So... somehow guns are wrong? A gun in the hands of a criminal is wrong but a gun in the hands of a good person is good. People kill people not guns.
Original post by SeaPony

When was the last time someone was shot in your area? Can you link to a news article?
Original post by SeaPony
Michael Moore the anti-gun pro establishment hippo?

No thanks. Give weapons to shop owners maybe it will deter yobs from robbing them repeatedly.

I guess if you watched the documentary you'd see how well that works out, but okay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending