The Student Room Group

Female CEO critiques the Premier League model - how dare she?

Carolyn Radford, is a CEO of a professional football club. She's stuck her head above the parapet to blow the whistle on the default Premier League.

Go Carolyn, go :biggrin:

http://www.touchline-tv.com/#!premierleague/cewk

Scroll to see replies

I'm not gonna watch all of it as after three minutes it's nothing I haven't heard before many times over but she is of course spot on.

The fact she's a woman is irrelevant though, unless people are slating her for this based off that then there is no need to point it out.
Reply 2
Original post by punditgal999
Carolyn Radford, is a CEO of a professional football club. She's stuck her head above the parapet to blow the whistle on the default Premier League.

Go Carolyn, go :biggrin:

http://www.touchline-tv.com/#!premierleague/cewk

29yo gold digging woman marries 50 odd owner of a league 2 club, who makes her ceo.

This gives her zero credibility. She knows nothing about the premier league, or the game.

Get an interview out of Katharina Liebherr and I'll listen and take notes.

She talks bs too; 'we need a competitive open pl for a successful national league, the top 4 isn't enough' - because spain/italy/germany needed that :lol:
Reply 3
Original post by samba
29yo gold digging woman marries 50 odd owner of a league 2 club, who makes her ceo.

This gives her zero credibility. She knows nothing about the premier league, or the game.

Get an interview out of Katharina Liebherr and I'll listen and take notes.

She talks bs too; 'we need a competitive open pl for a successful national league, the top 4 isn't enough' - because spain/italy/germany needed that :lol:

Wasn't she just made owner because her dad died?
Reply 4
Original post by difeo
Wasn't she just made owner because her dad died?

Well she inherited the club when he died yes. Not her own fault. Didn't even like football and still steered it clear of very choppy waters because it was her dads legacy. Learned about the premier league, operated with integrity. Has as much money as Abramovich but instead runs the club sensibly (it makes and spends its own profit)

She's also put her own money into it.

She's earned a seat at the table imo, and probably has very good knowledge of the ins and outs of the PL. I'd find an interview with her fascinating.

Having said that, she's not 30, not attractive, not mouthy, and hasn't been arrested for threatening behaviour at a football game. So it's less interesting I suppose.
Reply 5
The Championship is garbage what is this blonde bimbo talking about.
I'd actually never heard of her before this btw and the national team thing was the only thing I'd argue against (watched it all in the end).

However I don't care how she got her job, what she's saying in the first few minutes is stuff many fans have had concerns over for a while now and it will be interesting to see which supporters of which clubs agree/disgree with those comments.
Original post by al_94

Congratulations on totally missing the point.
Reply 8
Original post by Wilfred Little

She is saying Championship teams should be given a chance to compete in the PL and I'm saying the league is garbage that's why they can't. If I'm missing the point then correct me instead of being sarcastic.
Reply 9
I'm not gonna watch all of it as after three minutes it's nothing I haven't heard before many times over but she is of course spot on.

The fact she's a woman is irrelevant though, unless people are slating her for this based off that then there is no need to point it out.

I think the fact she's a woman does matter. There's hardly any females in the male dominated world of football. It wasn't meant to be disrespectful to Carolyn. I've nothing but total admiration for her. She's got the courage to have her say. I'm sure many will think.. sssshh.. keep quiet... Don't blow the whistle.

Appreciate your point though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by al_94
She is saying Championship teams should be given a chance to compete in the PL and I'm saying the league is garbage that's why they can't. If I'm missing the point then correct me instead of being sarcastic.

The first point she made was about predictability/the fact that the Championship is less of a closed shop (meaning anyone can win it) unlike the PL which is unless you're in that select group at the top and it's only getting worse because of the TV rights. It's a valid point.

Obviously the PL will be of a higher quality -- only a complete idiot would think otherwise.

She's not saying the Championships is great. She's suggesting, it's competitive. Everything the Premier League isn't.

The top teams in the Premier aren't world beaters. They just enjoy a year-after-year advantage of stock-piling a huge squad of overseas' players. This over the course of a long season, defaults them into their usual top four positions.

It's like the ole wrestling format. Fixed and we know the winners every year but it remains popular :biggrin:
Reply 12
I'd actually never heard of her before this btw and the national team thing was the only thing I'd argue against (watched it all in the end).

However I don't care how she got her job, what she's saying in the first few minutes is stuff many fans have had concerns over for a while now and it will be interesting to see which supporters of which clubs agree/disgree with those comments.

yea, but there's nothing new there is there? She's just regurgitating old information.

I think the fact she's a woman does matter. There's hardly any females in the male dominated world of football. It wasn't meant to be disrespectful to Carolyn. I've nothing but total admiration for her. She's got the courage to have her say. I'm sure many will think.. sssshh.. keep quiet... Don't blow the whistle.

Appreciate your point though.

wtf. blow the whistle on what?
Reply 13
She's not saying the Championships is great. She's suggesting, it's competitive. Everything the Premier League isn't.

The top teams in the Premier aren't world beaters. They just enjoy a year-after-year advantage of stock-piling a huge squad of overseas' players. This over the course of a long season, defaults them into their usual top four positions.

It's like the ole wrestling format. Fixed and we know the winners every year but it remains popular :biggrin:

The same as every other big sport in the world then?

Name one top league that is competitive for all in European or even South American football. There is none.
Original post by samba
yea, but there's nothing new there is there? She's just regurgitating old information.

Agreed.
Original post by al_94

The Championship is actually better than the PL
Original post by TornadoGR4

I was waiting for you, knew you would post that :biggrin:
I was waiting for you, knew you would post that :biggrin:

I can't help it :moon:

Look at the Championship table going into the final 2 games:

Now look at the Prem Title & Top 4 battle with 5/6 games remaining

Sky can't even flog a good top 4 battle this year. The top of the PL has nothing, the relegation scrap is the most interesting part behind the Championship promotion battle. God, I do love the Football League.
Reply 18
Original post by TornadoGR4

Absolute garbage league, with garbage teams, garbage players and garbage managers.
Original post by al_94
Absolute garbage league, with garbage teams, garbage players and garbage managers.

Obvious trolling.

Quick Reply