The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by JenniB22
I had a week of shadowing anaesthetists and I did St. John Ambulance for about 6 months. Plus volunteer tutoring for kids in London.

It kind of depends where you live. Basically you'll need to google colleges/schools that will take external candidates and then work out which ones will do the right exam board (they don't all offer all of them) and also where you can do the practicals, because most colleges don't do it. I ended up doing mine in a private college in South Kensington, because I needed somewhere not too far from me that would do the practicals. They did the Chemistry practicals over a weekend and it was very handy, but it cost an absolute bomb. I had to ask my parents to pay for it because I simply couldn't afford it....

Oh dear! Is it okay if I pm you? I have so many questions lol!
Original post by sjla94
Oh dear! Is it okay if I pm you? I have so many questions lol!

Sure
Original post by sjla94
When you were studying for Chemistry - were you a self-taught candidate? or did you apply through a college? I am just thinking that it would probably be beneficial to do Chemistry because I haven't really done much of it for my degree. But I am still thinking about it. I also need an AS in chemistry to get in to Barts :dry: So it may be worth doing!

So are you in a GEM course now? :smile:

Both this units are still reliant on a high UKCAT. You are better off putting the time and money into the GAMSAT and opening up 3 other uni's. as well as doing the UKCAT which Newcastle and Warwick still accept.
Reply 403
Due to kings new criteria, I can only apply to Newcastle and Warwick without doing the GAMSAT, and I'm thinking of sitting chemistry to open Bart's etc up (I only want to do GAMSAT if I don't get in first round), but the more I think about I really don't think it's feasible for me to study in London anyway due to finances - I don't think I'll be able to afford it!!! Which means I'll only be applying to two places this year, if I don't apply to London unis.... Is anyone else considering just applying to two places?? I'm not in a place to be able to study for the GAMSAT this year...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tw781
Due to kings new criteria, I can only apply to Newcastle and Warwick without doing the GAMSAT, and I'm thinking of sitting chemistry to open Bart's etc up (I only want to do GAMSAT if I don't get in first round), but the more I think about I really don't think it's feasible for me to study in London anyway due to finances - I don't think I'll be able to afford it!!! Which means I'll only be applying to two places this year, if I don't apply to London unis.... Is anyone else considering just applying to two places?? I'm not in a place to be able to study for the GAMSAT this year...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in a similar boat however I've decided that although financially the feasibility of doing a full 5 year undergrad entry course is bleak I will fill my remaining options with such courses just in case I happen to pull a bank vault of money from behind my ear in the next year or so.
Original post by tw781

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you do chemistry A Level you can also apply to Southampton, which gives you a good non-London option!

I would say that applying to 2 places is a very risky strategy. It's hard enough getting 1 offer from 4 applications! You're likely to be putting yourself at an extreme disadvantage.

If I were you I would do everything I could to have 4 options.
Wow I pity those who are struggling to find voluntary work. My local hospital practically bit my hand off when I asked to volunteer and I get asked nearly every week if I have some other friends who would like to help out too!

Good luck to those finding work experience and voluntary work. Work experience is a challenge to get but really worth it, especially to make sure the career is right for you.

I am about to start work as a HCA and leaving the world of design and marketing behind me. If anyone has any questions about that process feel free :smile:
Reply 407
If you do chemistry A Level you can also apply to Southampton, which gives you a good non-London option!

I would say that applying to 2 places is a very risky strategy. It's hard enough getting 1 offer from 4 applications! You're likely to be putting yourself at an extreme disadvantage.

Oh god yes I forgot about Southampton! Looks like I'm doing chemistry then!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 408

Oh yes forgot about Southampton! Looks like I'm doing chemistry then!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 409
Original post by sjla94
Hi everyone! I am also new to this thread! Is anyone here re-doing any A-Levels to get into a specific University? I really want to go to Southampton but they want an A Level in Chemistry or Biology. Unfortunately, (I won't bore you with the details) I got a D for Biology and did not even do Chemistry. However, I am predicted a 1st for my degree in Psychology :smile:

:smile: I study psychology too
Reply 410
Original post by Ebuwa
:smile: I study psychology too

Me too 👏 where are you guys studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya,

I'm new to this thread and have been reading for a while on behalf of my husband Who's applying for Grad Medicine 2016.

His Profile:
-Mature student (probably older than quite a few of you at 33?)
-Bachelors Degree in BioMedSci with a 2:2
-Post Grad Diploma in Audiology
-Has worked in the NHS as an Audiologist for 10 years.
-Has worked in the NHS as a Senior Audiologist for the past 7 years.

In terms of experience he's hoping that his job as a Senior Clinician will help him quite a bit.
- he also does a clinic three times a week alongside Dr's in ENT
- He does hearing tests in theatre during surgeries one Thursday per month
- Every Thursday evening he works as a Locum in GP surgery with a Dr testing their hearing patients.

He doesnt have any volounterring so I'm hoping he has done enough In terms of what they want as he is applying to:

SGUL
Nottingham
Exeter
Plymouth

As a lot of you already know, there isn't much choice with a 2:2.

He's also sitting the Gamsat in Sept.

So I will be following this thread on his behalf.
Original post by Marathi
Wow I pity those who are struggling to find voluntary work. My local hospital practically bit my hand off when I asked to volunteer and I get asked nearly every week if I have some other friends who would like to help out too!

Good luck to those finding work experience and voluntary work. Work experience is a challenge to get but really worth it, especially to make sure the career is right for you.

I am about to start work as a HCA and leaving the world of design and marketing behind me. If anyone has any questions about that process feel free :smile:

Yes, I have a question. How easy was it to get a job as a HCA? Most of the vacancies I see on the NHS jobs portal require prior experience as HCA or at least a qualification. I could probably only work part-time as a HCA too, are you PT or FT?
Reply 413
Original post by tw781
Me too ������ where are you guys studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm studying in Roehampton - how about you?
Original post by DelphiDeWitt
Yes, I have a question. How easy was it to get a job as a HCA? Most of the vacancies I see on the NHS jobs portal require prior experience as HCA or at least a qualification. I could probably only work part-time as a HCA too, are you PT or FT?

I found it really easy but I did have some previous experience when I applied. However this was stated as preferred, not necessary.

I had a years worth of volunteering at the hospital as well as a years worth of part time support work (all this alongside my full time job!). Also one of my sisters is disabled so I included about learning to care for her whilst growing up.

The interview was probably the easiest I have ever had, it consisted of some straight forward group exercises, then a short panel interview. Not to brag but the three ward managers who interviewed me were practically fighting over me :/!

Edit - I will be starting full time and relinquishing my current volunteering role.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 415
Original post by tw781
Me too 👏 where are you guys studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In Yorkshire
Reply 416
Original post by Ebuwa
In Yorkshire

Do you mean York? I'm there too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 417
Original post by tw781
Do you mean York? I'm there too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol not York
This is from KCL's a102 page:

SELECTION PROCEDURE
Applications must reach UCAS by 15 October 2015. 28 places are available on A102 and applications from Channel Island and overseas fee paying graduates will be considered.

I'm sure they took on more applicants?!
Original post by PintoBeans
This is from KCL's a102 page:

SELECTION PROCEDURE
Applications must reach UCAS by 15 October 2015. 28 places are available on A102 and applications from Channel Island and overseas fee paying graduates will be considered.

I'm sure they took on more applicants?!

Nope it's quite a small course, as are most of the GEM courses. They told us at interview that they only make about 30 places as well, because most people don't turn them down....bear in mind also that they offer about 15 places on the A100 course to those applicants who just miss out on A102 offers. This happened to me this year :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending