The Student Room Group

GCSE retakes 2016 exam series

Hi,

I am sitting all of my GCSE qualifications (except for core science) this May/June, which is for the 2015 exam series/season. I was wondering about sitting exams again just in case I do not perform too well in my exams in 2015.

I understand that retakes on one particular unit has been abolished from 2014, but I still have an idea that I can use previous controlled assessment marks from the 2015 exam series towards the 2016 exam series if I ever had to retake an exam(s) in 2016 May/June.

My main question is: How can I retake an exam for the next series/season with the same exam board that I did my GCSEs with in year 11 (do I do it privately with a tuition, a sixth form, or with who and how)?

Also, what would the fee be for each qualification/exams?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by mnc61
I understand that retakes on one particular unit has been abolished from 2014, but I still have an idea that I can use previous controlled assessment marks from the 2015 exam series towards the 2016 exam series if I ever had to retake an exam(s) in 2016 May/June.

Yes, you can acarry forward the controlled assessment in almost all cases.

Original post by mnc61
My main question is: How can I retake an exam for the next series/season with the same exam board that I did my GCSEs with in year 11 (do I do it privately with a tuition, a sixth form, or with who and how)?

You can re-sit however you choose - my just teaching yourself or by getting a private tutor. Sixth forms normally only provide tuition in Maths and/or English for people who failed to get at least a C.

Original post by mnc61
Also, what would the fee be for each qualification/exams?.

You have to find a centre (any secondary school or college) willing to accept you and they can charge whatever they choose. The exam board fee for a GCSE entry is around £30 but the centre will add on a charge for setting you up as a private candidate, their admin and invigialtion. If you are still studying then where you are a student will be the cheapest option if they will accept you, if you go elsewhere expect to pay at least £60 and possibly £100-150. The entry deadline is 21 February.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you for the information.

You said that I can find any centre who are will into take me as a private candidate, but I am worried about this because how will I be able to the the specific exam boards for specific subjects.
For example, I am doing aqa geo and lit in year 11, so how can I do the same exam bosrds
And also I am doing edexcel business and french
Original post by mnc61

You said that I can find any centre who are will into take me as a private candidate, but I am worried about this because how will I be able to the the specific exam boards for specific subjects.
For example, I am doing aqa geo and lit in year 11, so how can I do the same exam bosrds

If retaking is appropriate, you should first approach your sixth form or go back to your previous school if you have moved and ask them. If not then you'll need to get on the phone and ring schools and colleges in your local area, speak to their exams officer, ask if they take private candidates and whether they would take you for the subject/examiner/paper that you want. There's advice for private candidates on each of the examiners web sites. Some have lists of centres that have taken candidates in the past and some you can email for centre suggestions. At the end of the day though it's down to you to do the work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by mnc61

Almost all centres in England are regsitered with AQA, Edexcel and OCR and so, if they take private candidates, they should be able to accept you for anything they want to do. If you can't find a centre that will accept you for everything then you can use more than one centre.
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
Almost all centres in England are regsitered with AQA, Edexcel and OCR and so, if they take private candidates, they should be able to accept you for anything they want to do. If you can't find a centre that will accept you for everything then you can use more than one centre.

Thanks for the reply! :biggrin::smile:
Since I will be entered as a private candidate, would I be sitting my exam with other people who are doing the same exam as me? (and same exam board paper). I'm quite confused about the concept of being entered as a private candidate.
Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by mnc61
Since I will be entered as a private candidate, would I be sitting my exam with other people who are doing the same exam as me? (and same exam board paper).Thanks

It depends - you might be with lots of other people taking the same exam as you, or you might be with a load of people taking something completely different. We often have 6 or different exams going on at the same time in the same room even though they are all internal candidates.
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
It depends - you might be with lots of other people taking the same exam as you, or you might be with a load of people taking something completely different. We often have 6 or different exams going on at the same time in the same room even though they are all internal candidates.

So in regards to sixth form, can I apply after my GCSEs in January and enroll for year 12 when I'm 17 because sixth forms are from age 16-19, but if I enrol at 17 then I will be leaving when im 19?
Also, do I have to do second year straight away, or do first year ie study with people 1 year/age below me?
Thanks, please can you answer both questions
Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by mnc61
So in regards to sixth form, can I apply after my GCSEs in January and enroll for year 12 when I'm 17 because sixth forms are from age 16-19, but if I enrol at 17 then I will be leaving when im 19?
Also, do I have to do second year straight away, or do first year ie study with people 1 year/age below me?
Thanks, please can you answer both questions
Thanks

You need to talk to the 6th form(s) you are thinking of applying to but I have known people start Year 12 when they were 17. It wouldn't be possible to go straight into the 2nd year of 6th form unless you had already taken ASs.
Reply 9
Sixth forms are for students aged 16-19, but people who start first year at 17 will leave at the age of 19? Were these people that you knew lucky to be accepted in regsrd to their age?
Reply 10
Original post by Compost
You need to talk to the 6th form(s) you are thinking of applying to but I have known people start Year 12 when they were 17. It wouldn't be possible to go straight into the 2nd year of 6th form unless you had already taken ASs.

Sixth forms are for students aged 16-19, but people who start first year at 17 will leave at the age of 19? Were these people that you knew lucky to be accepted in regsrd to their age?
Original post by mnc61

I have known a couple of people who left school at 16 and then decided they'd like to go to 6th form after all and some who have repeated Y12. I have no idea whetehr they were lucky or not.
Hey all,

Can you resit GCSE maths in Jan 2016 or is that not available? Does anyone have a website explaining resits?
Original post by simply_a_ Δ
Can you resit GCSE maths in Jan 2016 or is that not available? Does anyone have a website explaining resits?

For most boards you can re-sit Maths in November 2015 (entry deadline 4 October). Which exam board do you (think you) want to re-sit with?
Original post by Compost
For most boards you can re-sit Maths in November 2015 (entry deadline 4 October). Which exam board do you (think you) want to re-sit with?

Edexcel :smile:
Original post by simply_a_ Δ
Edexcel :smile:

Your nexxt chance would be November then. If you can't do November then you would have to wait until next Summer.
Original post by Compost
Your nexxt chance would be November then. If you can't do November then you would have to wait until next Summer.

Oh right that's ok then :smile: THANK YOU for sharing the information!
Reply 17
Hi there, I failed and got grade (D) for GCSE English. could anyone tell me where I can retake GCSE English in January or March in Birmingham or near by city?

Thank you very much for you help in advance.
Original post by Karzan
Hi there, I failed and got grade (D) for GCSE English. could anyone tell me where I can retake GCSE English in January or March in Birmingham or near by city?

Thank you very much for you help in advance.

Nowhere. Retakes for maths and English GCSE are only available in November or in the summer exam series.

You might find somewhere to sit igcse in January but the exams will be quite different from what you are used to so it is probably not a good idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
By repeating GCSE english, would i need to repeat all of the courseworks by november :O ???

Quick Reply

Latest