The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
Original post by jammy4041
Oh...okay...

I'll say this though. Leadership qualities, and determination if nothing else.

Tebowmania just gets to me. The national networks are already so all over it. Hype train guys are always flops. As soon as people start banding around 'he's going to change the game' etc. you know a guy is going to be horrible. Tebow might make the 75 as QB4; he can probably beat one of Barkley and that guy I haven't heard of for QB4 but whether he can take the QB3 spot to make the 53 I'm sceptical. I think it will fill out Bradford-Sanchez-Barkley and Tebow will be done again.
Original post by Wattsy
Tebowmania just gets to me. The national networks are already so all over it. Hype train guys are always flops. As soon as people start banding around 'he's going to change the game' etc. you know a guy is going to be horrible. Tebow might make the 75 as QB4; he can probably beat one of Barkley and that guy I haven't heard of for QB4 but whether he can take the QB3 spot to make the 53 I'm sceptical. I think it will fill out Bradford-Sanchez-Barkley and Tebow will be done again.

Of course...there is a hype train for Tebow, not really deserved, but, his leadership is outstanding. The way I see it, I'd rather Tim Tebow and others like him were back in the league, than have the likes of Ray Rice back.

I don't think it's as big as what it used to be. If a coach is patient with him, and uses his strengths, he can be effective in an offense. For what it's worth, I think he'll make the 53. The Eagles with their QB situation cannot afford to just have two QBs on the roster. Matt Barkley is well...Matt Barkley...and the other QB is probably going to the practice squad. And if there's anyone who can use his gifts (apart from Mike McCoy), it's Chip Kelly. Chip's either on a power trip because he can't get Mariota, or he's really seen something in Tim Tebow. The Eagles offense, with it's shotgun/HUNH approach and spread concepts should really suit him.

How well he does, it remains to be seen, but he's worked a lot with Tom House.

My original post was slightly tongue-in-cheek though, with all the Tebow! Tebow! Tebow! etc.
This Chip Kelly is crazy meme is kind of getting to me. He's not a mad zany genius, he's just a regular coach doing regular coach things. He upgraded at running back and linebacker because that's what he's supposed to do. He lost his most expensive wide out because that happens sometimes. He made a risky move at QB, kind of like the Niners did a couple of years ago, but that's it. He probably felt comfortable making it because he has one of the best back ups in the league and a good overall team, not because of some Mariota related conspiracy.
I have noooo idea how american football works, loool I only watched Super bowl once because Tom Brady was playing:tongue: he's cute haha
Today has been a good day. Ordered a Broncos jersey off ebay, in navy, ordered a Chris Harris Jr. jersey, and a snapback 59FIFTY hat.

And then, the scheduling. The Broncos have a brutal schedule, but Iron Sharpens Iron.

The thanksgiving games are good though. Bears @ Packers, for Brett Favre's shirt retirement ceremony.

Original post by SmashConcept
This Chip Kelly is crazy meme is kind of getting to me. He's not a mad zany genius, he's just a regular coach doing regular coach things. He upgraded at running back and linebacker because that's what he's supposed to do. He lost his most expensive wide out because that happens sometimes. He made a risky move at QB, kind of like the Niners did a couple of years ago, but that's it. He probably felt comfortable making it because he has one of the best back ups in the league and a good overall team, not because of some Mariota related conspiracy.

Chip has an unconventional style, but it's exciting to watch. Jettisoning Desean Jackson hurt that offense last season though. When healthy, Demarco Murray and Ryan Matthews do upgrade the running corps, but they're overpaid and could struggle to stay injury free. The Eagles have the o-line (#1 run blocking unit, despite all of the injuries, which really hurt the line), upgraded in the secondary. I think both the Bills and the Eagles have benefited from the McCoy trade since they address position of needs. But, if Kiko Alonso continues to be the second coming of Brian Cushing...well again, it wouldn't work out well.

Shady's more of a outside of the tackles RB, so he moves around a lot. He could lose 15 yards or gain 50, but that's the RB he is. Tebow's a slight risk, but he offers a lot in the Chip Kelly system. Oh, what I would give to be a fly on the wall in the Eagles' practice facility...
Oh god Tampa's schedule :eek:

If we didn't have a swiss cheese like offensive line to fix and no quarterback I'd suggest we might make 8-8. But we do, so another losing season will be even more painful to take.
Reply 846
Original post by ..DT..
Oh god Tampa's schedule :eek:

If we didn't have a swiss cheese like offensive line to fix and no quarterback I'd suggest we might make 8-8. But we do, so another losing season will be even more painful to take.

The Jags schedule actually looks like they could be 4-3 going into the week 8 bye! There's a chance they also make 8-8 which I think would be pretty awesome. The bar has to be 6-10 anything less than that and the staff are on the block in what is a crunch year for the franchise. The whisperings out of Jacksonville is that 7-9 is the minimum Shad will deal with.
Original post by Wattsy
The Jags schedule actually looks like they could be 4-3 going into the week 8 bye! There's a chance they also make 8-8 which I think would be pretty awesome. The bar has to be 6-10 anything less than that and the staff are on the block in what is a crunch year for the franchise. The whisperings out of Jacksonville is that 7-9 is the minimum Shad will deal with.

Honestly think Bortles needs 3 years before they fire the coaching staff. I know it's been a long wait for the Jags but Rome wasn't built in a day
Reply 848
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Honestly think Bortles needs 3 years before they fire the coaching staff. I know it's been a long wait for the Jags but Rome wasn't built in a day

I'd agree but Shad Khan is not known for his patient temperament in his other ventures. I think he's using it up with the Jags and I'm fairly certain he said he expected a season without double digit losses. I like Bortles temperament and attitude. If sheer power of will could make you the best QB in the game he might be second to Russell Wilson. Moving forward with that attitude he can only get better.

Rome wasn't built in a day and wasn't built out of a dumpster fire.

Original post by Khadijah489
I have noooo idea how american football works, loool I only watched Super bowl once because Tom Brady was playing:tongue: he's cute haha

Pop your head in here a few more times, watch a few games and you'll be well up to speed. Unless of course you only liked Tom Brady being cute. We're not much good for that kind of chat.
(edited 9 years ago)
Lol don't worry I'll be a pro about knowing everything about american football as soon as I watched it:smile: haha thats only if Tom Brady is playing:tongue: nah just kiddin lol
http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2015/04/17/rsp-film-room-no-42-qb-coach-will-hewlett-on-marcus-mariota/

This guy's blog is really interesting, I've been following him for a few years now and learnt a lot about evaluating positions (mostly how long it takes). Unlike most analysts I remember reading that he had Tannehill as a top 10 pick and Russell Wilson as an arguable top 5 pick while also saying Weeden would struggle. Those are obviously the most memorable "hits" and obviously he has had misses as well, but those are pretty accurate evaluations that apparently most NFL teams weren't able to make. His guest obviously has a ton of pedigree, so when he writes "Will and I both [discovered] that we have Brett Hundley ranked ahead of Mariota" that is very interesting to me.

I haven't watched the video yet (70+ minutes) but the other part I'm looking forward to is learning how Mariota's motion causes the high-low inaccuracy that I talked about a couple of months ago and thought was unexplainable when I first watched him play.
Oh awesome, an NFL thread :smile:

Really hoping we (the Giants) have a better season this year. The only thing to really be positive about last season was the emergence of ODB.

Really looking forward to the start of the season in general, really
i love american football....hope that england can beat america in one day at international series..he he...lol
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 853
Original post by AaronPeterHurst
Oh awesome, an NFL thread :smile:

Really hoping we (the Giants) have a better season this year. The only thing to really be positive about last season was the emergence of ODB.

Really looking forward to the start of the season in general, really

I've put you on thr fan board. I just want the draft to happen now! It's the beginning of the new season as far as I'm concerned
Very Anxious about tomorrow. Huge Pressure on tampa to get this right. Be interesting to see how it plays out.
Oh no.

Please don't go to the Factory of Sadness, Marcus.

The Factory of Sadness offered their 12 and 19 pick for the second overall pick, but they'll need to give up at least the first from next year.

Tennessee would be able to rebuild their defense, and get a difference maker on offense. The chance to get one of the top edge rushers or a real hog molly on defense **and** potentially Brandon Scherff or an elite tackle prospect would be a steal.
I think he would be pretty good in Cleveland. Their team is pretty good, it's just their reputation which stinks and that's only because they've drafted bad QBs. The trouble is he would start straight away there, neither McCown or Manziel are good enough to let him sit.
Reply 857
Original post by jammy4041
Oh no.

Please don't go to the Factory of Sadness, Marcus.

The Factory of Sadness offered their 12 and 19 pick for the second overall pick, but they'll need to give up at least the first from next year.

Tennessee would be able to rebuild their defense, and get a difference maker on offense. The chance to get one of the top edge rushers or a real hog molly on defense **and** potentially Brandon Scherff or an elite tackle prospect would be a steal.

They just need to trade all of that with the Jags at #3 instead and I will be dancing! Why trade with Tennessee when you only need to get above Washington at 5 and NYJ at 8, Oakland need a blue chip WR called Amari Cooper at 4. The Jags would be happy taking the best LB/DE left at 12, trade out of 19 for a 1st and something else next year, picking up Jay Ajayi, a top quality cover corner or one of the top 2 safeties if they're on the board in the 2nd.
Sad to hear of Quanterus Smith being cut, due to failing his physical. He had potential in a 3-4 scheme.
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2015/04/28/broncos-waive-defensive-end-quanterus-smith/33770/

Original post by ..DT..
Very Anxious about tomorrow. Huge Pressure on tampa to get this right. Be interesting to see how it plays out.

I like Jameis -- hands down, the best pro-prospect since Luck, and perhaps even better than Luck, in terms of on-field talent -- but, I would not take him first overall, due to the character concerns. I get that Franchises want to keep talent 'in state,' and that there'd still be huge demand for him, but it really bugs me that all the character concerns are swept under the carpet for a potential first overall pick. Meanwhile, Shane Ray and Randy Gregory are tumbling down draft boards, because well...they don't fit

If I'm Tampa, I'd take Leonard Williams first overall, and then move back into the first to get Brett Hundley, just to leapfrog the Titans. That second round pick and a fourth rounder, (although potentially, there will be a 'QB tax' for next year) would build a better team.

Maybe I'm a bit selfish since I want the Broncos to trade out of the first round, and Tampa is probably the best option to trade with.

Here's my final Broncos selections, with arguments:

1, #28: Cameron Erving, OL, Florida State
A versatile offensive linemen, who'd address any of the Broncos' needs at RT, G and C, although I believe in Paradis and his potential. Schofield is a little harder to slot in though. I'd be happy with Cedric Ogbuehi too, considering his experience accross the line. As a tackle, he's a better prospect, but there are concerns about his play strength and 'nasty.'

Also, expected to be the Broncos' pick at 28, if he's available, according to Mile High Report. http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/4/29/8515399/2015-nfl-draft-broncos-are-expected-to-draft-cameron-erving-at-no-28

2. Za'Darius Smith, Wade-Phillips 3-4 Special Agent
He's big for an outside linebacker, but with the way Wade Phillips uses his 3-4 OLBs as pass rushing defensive ends, a difference maker is required. Smith is strong against the run, and has pass rush potential. He's slower than ideal at the moment, but he has an excellent array of pass rush moves.

I am very high on Bud Dupree, but Za'Darius Smith was Kentucky's defensive star last year. He will be a steal at the bottom of the second. He's a weaker athlete, but he gives a ton of effort. He's only spent a year in a SEC-type conditioning program, so he has further to go in terms of raw athleticism, but admittedly not a whole lot. I'd ask him to cut to get down to around 265 to get more speed explosive ability. My main concern, that, despite his good length, and overall size, he's got t-rex arms at 32.5 inches. Ideally, an OLB/DE should have about 34 inch arms.

3. #92; Marcus Hardison, 3-4DE, Arizona State;
Looking at his college tape, he leaps out. Outstanding athleticism...I'd even say that he's an elite athlete in the mould of J.J. Watt. Xavier Cooper would be a good choice, but basically they're the same player. He's a natural 5 tech moved inside to a 3 tech, so he'd have the capability to play all across the line. At 270lbs, he ran a 4.7s 40 yard dash, and he's up to 300lbs running a 4.9s 40 yard dash.

4. #133 Derrick Lott, "NT"/DT, Tennessee-Chattanooga;
Outstanding prospect for the smaller, one gapping NT that Wade-Phillips will run; techincally sound, and very polished, and should be versatile to slot in at end if needed. Unfortunately, will be an older rookie at 24 years old.

5a. #143 Hayes Pullard, ILB ("Mo"), Southern California;
Of the inside LBs, Hayes Pullard does not get the respect he actually deserves. He's a tackle monster, with good functional football speed. The Broncos need some more help with the

5b. #164 Robertson Daniel, DB, Bringham Young;
A long rangy corner who would be an ideal fit to replace or spot Talib down the line. The Broncos have a great secondary, but improvements are always welcome. Kavon Webster or Bradley Roby may move to safety as well.

6. #203 Darryl Baldwin, RT/G, Ohio State,
How has this potential future left tackle been marginalized in this process is a mystery. A one year starter, in a ZBS of the National Champions, and a two year offensive lineman. Elite measureables and athleticism; 30 reps on the bench press, with long arms. If the Broncos go for Erving in round one, rather than say Ogbuehi, TJ Clemmings and DJ Humphries, well I'd like the pick up of Baldwin here. In a ZBS, with his athleticism, he'd be a steal. He did look a little raw at the beginning of the season, but he really improved towards the end of the season. He'd probably be about 24 as a rookie though, and well, his character is off the charts, he offers leadership and maturity. I really hope he lands with the Broncos.

7a. #251 Deiontrez Mount, OLB, Louisville
Tall, and with long arms, and elite straight line speed. Lateral agility is questionable, however, and well, he has a one year of real production. That year of production was last year after Louisville switched to a 3-4 scheme, and I really think he's a good scheme fit. He also brings outstanding leadership and maturity, and will be able to learn. With Gerald Rivers, Shaq Barrett, Lerentee McCray, Kenny Anunike, as well as Mount and Smith, should be good depth behind Miller and Ware. Not all will make it on the roster, but most should be able to stay either on the practice squad or on the final 53.

7b. #252– Cody Fajardo, QB, Nevada
A dual threat QB, who's like a shorter Alex Smith. He's an accurate QB, with a floor of being a solid backup, which is what the Broncos need with this pick. He has below average arm strength, but he takes care of the ball, and well, he'd fit in nicely with the new direction of the offense leaning on the ground game. Better QBs can be had in next year's draft, although, hopefully Kubiak trusts Osweiler, with his mobility and rocket arm. Chris Bonner of CSU-Pueblo, and Brandon Bridge of South Alabama, would be good at this point, although I'd probably take Brandon Bridge due to his arm strength and mobility. Blake Sims would be good too, with his mobility and experience in a pro-set.

7c. #253 Isaiah Johnson, S, Georgia Tech; 10
My favorite pure safety in the class, however, there are injury concerns. He managed to stay healthy and tore it up at his pro-day. He's not afraid to hit, showed good leadership, and has great size.

UDFA1: Jeff Luc, ILB, Cincinnati; 10.
One of the fastest linebackers in the draft, and he's fairly big, being closer to 250lbs. An athletic prospect who should contribute on special teams and provide depth at the bigger inside 'mike' backer position.

UDFA2: Corey Grant, RB, Auburn; 12
Speed kills. Corey Grant has speed in abundance. He also has some physicality, and despite his relatively small stature, is close to 200lbs, which makes him vunerable. CJ Anderson, Montee Ball and Juwan Thompson are basically the same type of running back. Hillman may be a free-agent casualty next year.

UDFA3: Jordan Leslie, WR, Brigham Young.
Interesting prospect, with elite size (6ft3, 212lbs), and good speed (4.44s 40yd dash at his proday), who would be worth a shot late. He describes run after the catch ability and his run blocking as his strengths, and he put two up 18 reps on the bar, which is good. Ideally, the Broncos need a slot receiver, but with less reliance on the slot position, the Broncos shouldn't have any fears about getting a bigger-bodied WR.

UDFA4: Dettrick Bonner, FS, Virginia Tech;
He has less than desired size, but, is a safety that should get consideration late, and would help solidify the free-safety position. Taks good angles and is a smart safety, who likes to hit.

UDFA5: Bradon Prate, DE, Illinois State; ps
His play against North Dakota State (better than a lot of FBS teams) speaks for itself. He lined up all across the three-man defensive front, consistently beat his man, and made plays. Big, high effort motor. Plus athlete for the position. Would juice up the interior pass rush and provide depth. Looked solid against the run. Overlooked because he comes from a smaller school, and isn't named Ali Marpet.

UDFA6: Brian Parker, TE, Albany, ps
Oh my goodness. Compares favorably to Gronk, athletically speaking. If he turns out to be just 70% of the player Gronk is, oh my, the Broncos would have an awesome TE. He's likely to spend a bit of time on the practice squad, but you can't teach 6ft5, 265lbs, 4.6s speed. He's not even scratched the surface of what he could do. Routes are sloppy though, but a coach would like to have him. No full backs, but the Broncos have a lot of the H-back types. Run after the catch ability, and high-pointing of the football look really good too.

UDFA7: DeAndre Carter, WR, Sacramento State.
Hands down, the best WR in the Big Sky conference. Solid catcher...and ELITE speed. An absolute jitterbug, with one-in-a-generation short area quickness, short shuttle. burst. Put up 17 reps on the bench press which is no mean feat, for someone who is only slightly bigger than Wes Welker sized. He's also the type of player that is easy to root for, (even as an ISU Bengal), as he wishes to fulfil a promise made to his dying brother that he'll succeed in the NFL. Excellent, and dangerous, kick returner. He had three recieving TDs against ISU, he's the real deal. Very coachable kid, a 'player's player,' and 'a coache's player.' Routes are crisp and well defined.

Also, here's Idaho State's most likely player to be drafted/make an NFL team. Justin Arias. No coincidence that he looks to emulate Brady in everything he does.
http://tinyurl.com/jarias18
Original post by SmashConcept
I think he would be pretty good in Cleveland. Their team is pretty good, it's just their reputation which stinks and that's only because they've drafted bad QBs. The trouble is he would start straight away there, neither McCown or Manziel are good enough to let him sit.

He'd be okay...it's not like Cleveland have a terrible o-line, when its healthy. The skill positions...are the worst in the NFL. The RBs may be servicable, but there's no difference maker, while their WRs are all #3 receivers at best.

Their defense is really over-rated as well. Elite back eight, but their defensive front is the worst in the league. When a team's defensive front is worse than Atlanta and New Orleans, well, they have a problem.

Selling the farm to get Mariota, is a laughable decision by a franchise which always looks in the short term. With the loss of those two first round picks for the second overall, Cleveland would lose the opportunity to draft Danny Shelton, Malcom Brown, Devante Parker, Jaelen Strong etc. Maybe, even Amari Cooper or Kevin White, depending on who falls. And they're going to have to even give up more that those two picks. It might be the original second rounder, and a pick in next year's first or second. If Cleveland moves up, everyone and their uncle will know it's for a QB.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest