The Student Room Group

Rate of Reaction-Catalyst

Hey guys, quick question!
Why does doubling the amount of catalyst not necessarily double the rate of reaction? What limiting factors affect this? Please be specific! ~Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Anyone?
I don't know exactly, but I would say that it has something to do with the fact that catalysts only reduce the activation energy needed for the reaction to occur. Therefore, doubling the amount of catalyst won't necessarily double the rate of reaction as the activation energy has already been lowered by the catalyst present (which doesn't get used up, either)
I hope that makes sense haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The catalyst ''effectively dobules the rate of reaction'' However this is BS, the catalyst lowers the activation energy of the reaction , it doesnt double the reaction rate , doubling the catalyst will not have any effect on the rate, the only things that have effect on the rate, are temperature, concentration etc..
Reply 4
Makes sense, thank you guys!
You can say that a catalyst INCREASES the reaction rate because it lowers the activation energy of the reaction by offering an alternative pathway.
Reply 6
For a heterogeneous solid catalyst, doubling the surface area of the catalyst could double the reaction rate. Having twice the mass, i.e. doubling the catalyst would not necessarily double the rate, unless it also lead to a doubling of S.A.

If you catalyst is homogeneous, then (depending on the rate equation) it would double the rate if you doubled the conc. of catalyst.
Reply 7
YES! Okay, why would having twice the mass not double the rate? That is what I meant!
Original post by Sam1B
YES! Okay, why would having twice the mass not double the rate? That is what I meant!

Reactions occur at the surface of a heterogeneous catalyst. Not all of the mass is in contact with the reactants

Quick Reply

Latest