The Student Room Group

My internet addiction is scaring me....

In the past few months I've forgotten to brush my teeth, neglected my body, and haven't put a comb through my hair. All this because I am hooked on my phone 24/7. Doing nothing but being on the internet.I've got exams in a couple of weeks and need ABB for my uni offer. What to do? This lifestyle is ruining me. :frown: I look like a mess right at this moment. My teeth have yellowed and my body has weakened. I am vitamin D and iron deficient. All because of this sick internet addiction. I need to be saved from this sickening lifestyle.:mad::redface:
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
In the past few months I've forgotten to brush my teeth, neglected my body, and haven't put a comb through my hair. All this because I am hooked on my phone 24/7. Doing nothing but being on the internet.I've got exams in a couple of weeks and need ABB for my uni offer. What to do? This lifestyle is ruining me. :frown: I look like a mess right at this moment. My teeth have yellowed and my body has weakened. I am vitamin D and iron deficient. All because of this sick internet addiction. I need to be saved from this sickening lifestyle.:mad::redface:

Ask your parents (I'm resuming you have wifi) to turn the wifi off so you can only use it at certain times, this makes it harder to spend all of your time on the internet. You could exlpain to them your problem and maybe even at first you could give them your phone whilst you do other things or try setting alarms on your phone to remind you to do things like shower, brush your teeth ect. Try to throw yourself into revision so you don't have time to think about your phone. It's hard but really only you can discipline yourself into stopping this really :smile: best of luck!
Reply 2
A change of scenery might help. Try doing some revision at your school's or the local library, at a friend's house, in a café, or wherever. Your body is probably conditioned to think that home = Internet time, so that'll help you to break out. Plus, you have to brush your teeth and get ready to go out, so that's two birds with one stone. Good luck!
I was the same not for the internet addiction but because of agoraphobia and other crap going on. I'm watching myself deteriorate like a fly on the wall. But dunno where to begin. Are you getting any mental health help?
Reply 4

Oh my god, that is me! Its been a month now that i havent combed my hair, it about to turn into dreadlocks. I hae skipped so many classes because i am over-sleeping in the morning. my sleeping pattern is ****ed up. I used to brush 2 times a day, its reduced to once a day or not at all. What is even revision?
(edited 8 years ago)

You just have to be strict with yourself(no phones, computer etc) because there is no other way of combating this internet addiction.
Reply 6
Original post by icdjabtjk
get rid of your computer. My laptop broke a while ago and I was really productive for 2 weeks or so until I got a new PC lol. Also you should get new hobbies that you can do outdoors. I bought an air rifle and have been going around through nearby forests with it. At least its outdoors and exercise and its more interesting than just going for a walk. Also been watching ray mears and identifying plants I can eat and things in the forests ha. How is your social life in real life? I guess it could be bad if you have an internet addiction. Try to see some real life friends more also. Get rid of your computer really just throw it in the bin. Or tell your parents you want them to look after it until after exams, or anything. You'll start being way more productive after that.

That sounds fun, the go to the forest part
Get yourself to your GP. You need to deal with the underlying issues of why you are neglecting your studies for the sake of this addiction.

Merely depriving yourself of what you're addicted to may not be enough to help you on its own. Your mindset needs to be changed first.

Quick Reply

Latest