The Student Room Group

Applied Science BTEC Level 3 (Forensic) - Could this get me into Pharmacy?

There is no medical applied science at my college, only forensic.
Will this stop me from getting into Pharmacy? I really want to do Pharmacy and they won't let me do A levels.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also, my college is trying to make me complete my old course that I had to leave due to an operation. I have no interest in continuing it but they're really, really pressuring me into completing it. Do I have to complete it?
Reply 2
Original post by Charles97
Will this stop me from getting into Pharmacy? I really want to do Pharmacy and they won't let me do A levels.

The best thing for you to do is to look at the entry requirements for Pharmacy through the websites of universities that you would consider going to. Generally, the degree would require the Chemistry A Level along with at least one other science related subject. You'd need to check with the university's requirements to see if they accept BTEC courses. Perhaps you could try finding somewhere else to do A Levels if you can't do them at your college?

This is pretty much a good summary:
http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/pharmacy/pharmacist/entry-requirements/

Also, my college is trying to make me complete my old course that I had to leave due to an operation. I have no interest in continuing it but they're really, really pressuring me into completing it. Do I have to complete it?

Again, it's probably best to talk to them directly. Most do this to ensure that their pupils leave with a good amount of qualifications, but it may still be possible for you to drop it.
Reply 3
Original post by Davalla
The best thing for you to do is to look at the entry requirements for Pharmacy through the websites of universities that you would consider going to. Generally, the degree would require the Chemistry A Level along with at least one other science related subject. You'd need to check with the university's requirements to see if they accept BTEC courses. Perhaps you could try finding somewhere else to do A Levels if you can't do them at your college?

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/pharmacy/pharmacist/entry-requirements/

Again, it's probably best to talk to them directly. Most do this to ensure that their pupils leave with a good amount of qualifications, but it may still be possible for you to drop it.

According to the tutor, 3 people from her old course got into a none foundation Pharmacy course. Whether or not they had A levels is beyond me. I know some of the lesser known universities accept BTEC without A levels (Portsmouth, Southampton, among others)
I was wondering how you got to know whether it was Forensic or Medical because I think my college is only doing Medical by the sounds of the 3 units in the sub diploma and I REALLY want to study forensics in the second year :frown: It really isn't fair, they should just split the class into 2 halves and give out both F and M assignments.
Reply 5
Original post by meganwalker
I was wondering how you got to know whether it was Forensic or Medical because I think my college is only doing Medical by the sounds of the 3 units in the sub diploma and I REALLY want to study forensics in the second year :frown: It really isn't fair, they should just split the class into 2 halves and give out both F and M assignments.

Wanna switch places lmao? It should say on the website whether its medical or forensic. For example: http://www.macclesfield.ac.uk/courses16-18/ft-course-detail.aspx?cic=0021
Reply 6
Original post by Davalla

Also you didn't really answer my question. But thanks again for the response:smile:
Wanna switch places lmao? It should say on the website whether its medical or forensic. For example: http://www.macclesfield.ac.uk/courses16-18/ft-course-detail.aspx?cic=0021

look http://goo.gl/2qtd0R
Reply 8

Definitely not forensic. Check some courses online though. If you get good enough results they should let you in. From what I've been looking at I'm gonna have to do an A level to get into anything I want to do :angry:

Hiya! I'm currently in my first year doing btec applied science medical pathway l3 extended diploma. I wouldn't mind doing alevel chem but u require bs at maths and science and I only achieved seven gcse at grade Cs. I'm also considering doing Pharmacy at university. Most accept btec with alevel however after researching I've noticed a few uni's which would take me in without alevel :smile:. I don't want to bring you down but I don't know if they would consider the forensic pathway but you could ask them. Good luck. Btw I'm a girl l; my username kinda contridict it. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Uz25
Hiya! I'm currently in my first year doing btec applied science medical pathway l3 extended diploma. I wouldn't mind doing alevel chem but u require bs at maths and science and I only achieved seven gcse at grade Cs. I'm also considering doing Pharmacy at university. Most accept btec with alevel however after researching I've noticed a few uni's which would take me in without alevel :smile:. I don't want to bring you down but I don't know if they would consider the forensic pathway but you could ask them. Good luck. Btw I'm a girl l; my username kinda contridict it. :smile:

I think after your first year of an Applied Science BTEC you can do Chemistry A levels because it gives you the qualifications needed. And safe, nice to see someone with the same passion as me! What unis do you know that don't require A level? I couldn't seem to find one. Most unis don't actually specify forensic or medical except for the top ones like Manchester or Birmingham, so I just assume they do... I hope..! Still waiting if anybody knows lmao
(edited 8 years ago)
I think after your first year of an Applied Science BTEC you can do Chemistry A levels because it gives you the qualifications needed. And safe, nice to see someone with the same passion as me! What unis do you know that don't require A level? I couldn't seem to find one. Most unis don't actually specify except for the top ones like Manchester or Birmingham, so I just assume they do... I hope..! Still waiting if anybody knows lmao

Aww aha I can't; don't have the qualification grades required to do alevel. To how far I remember Plymouth and keele does I think I'll research again
Reply 12
Original post by Uz25
Aww aha I can't; don't have the qualification grades required to do alevel. To how far I remember Plymouth and keele does I think I'll research again

Yeah, but if you finish your first year you will do.
Reply 13
Original post by Uz25

I can't even see a pharmacy course at plymouth university. Are you sure? :wink:
I can't even see a pharmacy course at plymouth university. Are you sure? :wink:

Ahah lol my bad! I confused it with optometry course lol. Ermm Kingston uni deffo does it. There's a couple more but that's the only one I remember at the top of my head :wink:
Reply 15
Original post by Uz25
Ahah lol my bad! I confused it with optometry course lol. Ermm Kingston uni deffo does it. There's a couple more but that's the only one I remember at the top of my head :wink:

If my tired brain remembers Kingston are redoing there intakes for BTEC. I think East Anglia takes without A levels. If you ever struggled to get into Pharmacy, Biomedical Sciences usually accept BTEC without any A levels and you could go on to Graduate entry Pharmacy, Medicine, Dentistry etc..
I did Btec level 3 in applied science.. basically it depends on what university you wanted to go to my my advice would be to send some emails out asking this exact question.. but in all fairness my knowledge when starting the course is it's good but if you want to go off and do a hard core science or topic like this at uni that this isn't the best course.

hope this helps and good luck
If my tired brain remembers Kingston are redoing there intakes for BTEC. I think East Anglia takes without A levels. If you ever struggled to get into Pharmacy, Biomedical Sciences usually accept BTEC without any A levels and you could go on to Graduate entry Pharmacy, Medicine, Dentistry etc..

That's a looooooooooong route. I use to plan on doing Biomedical Science but nah! I don't enjoy practical works now e.t.c.
Original post by hycurrie
I did Btec level 3 in applied science.. basically it depends on what university you wanted to go to my my advice would be to send some emails out asking this exact question.. but in all fairness my knowledge when starting the course is it's good but if you want to go off and do a hard core science or topic like this at uni that this isn't the best course.

hope this helps and good luck

Well i believe if i do this course and revise alevel biology and chemistry topics and try doing their past papers it would be alright? What are you doing at Uni?
Also you didn't really answer my question. But thanks again for the response:smile:

Sorry, which question- the first or the second?

For the Pharmacy question, I tried to give you a general description, and to inform you that you'd need to check university requirements separately to see whether your qualifications are acceptable; requirements can vary so you'll have to do your own research to see which ones you'd consider; I'm not going to go through all of them for you, if you understand :wink:.

Also, if you haven't already, perhaps you could try talking to your tutor about their previous students [the ones that have got into the degree] for more details.

For the second question: you probably wouldn't have to complete the course if you decided to drop it a while ago, but they may be pressuring you so that 'time wasn't wasted' when you were still doing it, etc. Ask them, if you haven't already.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending