The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8080
Original post by Dirtybit
There's meaning to the stories, why wouldn't you be interested in Carvalho? Not saying you will buy him, but surely it's believable that there is interest.

Sure, not denying that. We won't get him though. Tbh, these year long sagas mean nothing in terms of players coming to Arsenal. Rumours are usually shorter for the players we actually end up going for, the media just carry those stories on.

Tbf, we've expressed interests in way too many players (confirmed by Arsene himself on a few occasions) like Messi (when we signed Fabregas) Ronaldo (before he went united) Bale (we didn't because we had LBs at the time) Pogba (when he left united) etc etc..

So these are practically nothing stories, and I'm sure Wenger isn't interested in them anymore.

Wenger probably has his targets, it's just going to be interesting to see who they are.
Reply 8081
Doesn't feel like we'll get a marquee player this summer tbh, we don't need a major upgrade anywhere. A better GK perhaps but with Coq's emergence I can't see Wenger going all out for a DM.

The signings will be additions of squad players with potential imo.
Original post by SA-1
Doesn't feel like we'll get a marquee player this summer tbh, we don't need a major upgrade anywhere. A better GK perhaps but with Coq's emergence I can't see Wenger going all out for a DM.

would genuinly be delighted if our biggest signing was a new goal keeper.

Give me Lloris as our major signign, then a few other players in midfield/attack/RB etc. - and I would be happy with the summer.

(+ it would piss of spurs.. so even better.)
Reply 8083
Original post by fallen_acorns
would genuinly be delighted if our biggest signing was a new goal keeper.

Give me Lloris as our major signign, then a few other players in midfield/attack/RB etc. - and I would be happy with the summer.

(+ it would piss of spurs.. so even better.)

Lloris would be perfect, he's like 28 too. Got a good 5/6 solid years ahead of him at the very least. I don't get why we didn't get him before he went spurs, I'm sure he showed better signs of being a top keep than Shez did.

Also, spurs didn't even ****ing need him at the time.

Can't see it happening though :frown:
Arsenal set to wear their away strips during the FA Cup final, after Villa won the toss.
I'd be buzzing if we got Lloris or Cech (preferably Lloris), but neither will happen, we have 2 young keepers although I guess it's possible if Szs is sold. Add a decent 4th choice CB like Moreno who will actually challenge for a place at starting CB, keep Jenko, and bring in Milner and we would be much closer to challenging. Would still be a CDM and winger or striker short though imo
Original post by shawn_o1
^

dupe account alert

Not much gets passed you, does it?
is Depay any better than Chambo really?

obviously has better stats, but also plays in a weaker league..
Last year Sporting were asking for £37m. Wenger wasn't dumb enough to spend that much on him. Moyes was though, we agreed for him but when LVG came in he dis-allowed it.

Nah highly doubt that. From the reports near to the end of the window it was said that they wanted £24m and we wouldn't budge on a few £m odd

I think £37m (sure it was in Euros) was his release clause, which might be true, but I doubt Sporting were going to hold out for that mutch anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SA-1

Well the structure towards our approach to the window was revealed to be 1 marquee signing minimum each season. We didn't really need Ozil but if a player like him or similar is available that Wenger rates then I'm sure we'll sign some one. I don't think there'll ever be a signing as hyped as Ozil, simply because of how out of the blue it was and because of how big his previous reputation was too. It's likely we'll sign Pedro this summer though which wouldn't be a bad move at all, as we need a more efficient winger.

Carvalho though, I'd love Carvalho, but at the moment I'm still dubious to the validity of the reports.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by swirly
is Depay any better than Chambo really?

obviously has better stats, but also plays in a weaker league..

Well, can Chambo do this?

as nice as it is to be really relaxed about top4, it has made the end of this season really boring.

I mean there are properly few games that I am interested in watching outside of arsenal at the moment..

Probably try and catch city vs villa though - see if villa can do us another favour, and push city down even further
Reply 8092
Original post by AR_95
Well the structure towards our approach to the window was revealed to be 1 marquee signing minimum each season. We didn't really need Ozil but if a player like him or similar is available that Wenger rates then I'm sure we'll sign some one. I don't think there'll ever be a signing as hyped as Ozil, simply because of how out of the blue it was and because of how big his previous reputation was too. It's likely we'll sign Pedro this summer though which wouldn't be a bad move at all, as we need a more efficient winger.

Carvalho though, I'd love Carvalho, but at the moment I'm still dubious to the validity of the reports.

Yeah these were my initial thoughts but I don't Wenger will want to add too much given our recent form. Would be amazing to get a marquee player though, and if that's on the right wing (like Pedro) then our attack next season will be incredibly deadly.

Tbh all of these story's that are out are just pre-transfer window hype. Can you imagine what kinds of stories will be out between May 30th-July 1st? :lol:

no but Cheick Tiote can do one better

therefore Tiote > Depay ?

A free kick like that means nothing if there is no #consistency

United fans already got the "welcome to Manchester" yt videos up 2 months before the transfer window starts and he can join, what melts :biggrin:
Original post by leinad2012
United fans already got the "welcome to Manchester" yt videos up 2 months before the transfer window starts and he can join, what melts :biggrin:

That makes this one even more funny for Arsenal since it was put up December last year :wink:

That makes this one even more funny for Arsenal since it was put up December last year :wink:

You're right it's pathetic, although to be fair that was a month before the Jan transfer window, there's still 2 and a half months until the summer one starts
Original post by leinad2012
You're right it's pathetic, although to be fair that was a month before the Jan transfer window, there's still 2 and a half months until the summer one starts

Lol what does it matter, any deluded person can upload a video of Messi with the title, "Welcome to Stoke City... on a cold Wednesday night"
Lol what does it matter, any deluded person can upload a video of Messi with the title, "Welcome to Stoke City... on a cold Wednesday night"

Its just a tad cringey isn't it? How do people have time to make such ****. Plus Carvalho looked poor in that bid, would rather ciq based off that
Someone somewhere probably has a stash of about 200 'welcome to Arsenal' videos they made, just hoping one of them turns out to be true.

Latest