The Student Room Group

Why do White Countries 'need' immigrants but non-white countries do not?

Why have I not heard leftists clamouring for immigration into Japan? Japan is 98.5 % Japanese. Surely that means that they need more diversity? Everyone has a right to live wherever they want, right?

Scroll to see replies

Japanese society wasn't taken over by leftists like most western governments
Original post by aberdaber
Why have I not heard leftists clamouring for immigration into Japan? Japan is 98.5 % Japanese. Surely that means that they need more diversity? Everyone has a right to live wherever they want, right?

Japan has really tight immigration controls, even with a shrinking population. Technically it's not true that everyone has a right to live where they want.

Japan also has one of the best economies in the world, so it probably doesn't see the need for immigration to support it. The UK is an example of how immigration supports the economy, but in a country like Japan where the economy is strong as it is, they're probably quite content and patriotic about being an almost entirely Japanese nation. The Government probably has quite an insular attitude, liking to keep things as they are without corrupting what they know works for them.
Reply 3
Japan does need immigration, it just refuses to accept the fact. As a consequence, Japan's population is getting older and shrinking, and its economy is also shrinking.
This is one of the dumbest threads I've ever seen.
So places like Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, and Singapore are now white countries?
Nobody has a right to live wherever they want but people have a right to escape and not live in life-threatening conditions. Well they should anyway.

One of the interesting things about Japan is looking at their age related demographics. In Japan, like most developed countries, people are living a lot longer (especially as a traditional Japanese diet is pretty healthy). Due to relatively low birth rate and immigration, Japan has a massively aging population and low birth rate, and their population size has actually been falling since 2004.

This is actually a pretty big problem for the government- their pension bill is massive, and they need young workers coming in to keep the economy going at it's current strong rate.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/banyan/2014/03/japans-demography is a pretty good introduction to the issue.

So yeah, Japan has a massive need for immigration long term. Probably the reason it isn't discussed much is that we live in the UK- and most people are focused on UK and Europe related immigration issues.
Plenty of people have gone to non-white countries to live - Singapore, Hong Kong, Dubai etc.

And to take it even further - the US and Australia - that's immigration/genocide on an extreme level. It's not only non-white people coming to live in the Europe, you know.

It works both ways, always has. And the non-whites generally come off worse, historically speaking.
Original post by Arbolus
Japan does need immigration, it just refuses to accept the fact. As a consequence, Japan's population is getting older and shrinking, and its economy is also shrinking.

Japan needs what it's people and government decide on what it needs.

They've decided on no mass immigration

Lots of rightests immigrate to Japan. And it is simply the reverse of colonialism
What is the problem with non whites anyway?
Original post by Babada Boopy
Japanese society wasn't taken over by leftists like most western governments

Much immigration has happened in Japan etc since the 1800s- the government weren't leftist then. You have a serious problem with progress and people who are non white. Like what have you experienced to be like that
Original post by MatureStudent36
Japan needs what it's people and government decide on what it needs.

They've decided on no mass immigration

Realistically, though, something needs to change in Japan over the next 100 years or so, or their population size will be in free-fall. There are some groups in Japan that support changing their views on immigration.

Without an increase in the working age population, who is going to pay the ever increasing pensions bill? When the size of the workforce has halved, will their economy still be as strong?
Japan doesn't have immigration because it is very hard to get their. Also it isn't in the EU, didn't have a colonial Empire and doesn't need population for its defence. The thing you have to look at with Japan isn't its immigration numbers, but its emigration numbers. Very few Japanese people leave Japan, so they don't need to import people to replace them. Millions of Europeans have left and leave Europe every year, they need to be replaced. I mean 300,000 people left Britain last year, so 300,000 immigrants were need to replace them.

I think I have already made a thread about this, but nobody has taken on board what I said. The turnover of population is the important thing politically, not the numbers of immigrants.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Realistically, though, something needs to change in Japan over the next 100 years or so, or their population size will be in free-fall. There are some groups in Japan that support changing their views on immigration.

Without an increase in the working age population, who is going to pay the ever increasing pensions bill? When the size of the workforce has halved, will their economy still be as strong?

Or Japanese companies can move their production off-shore into Asia. As they did before the Sino-Japanese wars. Which is what I expect.
One of the interesting things about Japan is looking at their age related demographics. In Japan, like most developed countries, people are living a lot longer (especially as a traditional Japanese diet is pretty healthy). Due to relatively low birth rate and immigration, Japan has a massively aging population and low birth rate, and their population size has actually been falling since 2004.

This is actually a pretty big problem for the government- their pension bill is massive, and they need young workers coming in to keep the economy going at it's current strong rate.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/banyan/2014/03/japans-demography is a pretty good introduction to the issue.

So yeah, Japan has a massive need for immigration long term. Probably the reason it isn't discussed much is that we live in the UK- and most people are focused on UK and Europe related immigration issues.

No it doesn't. Some nations like Russia need a large population, other nations like Japan don't. It is actually good for Japan that its population is falling, it means it doesn't need to important as much.
Original post by william walker
Or Japanese companies can move their production off-shore into Asia. As they did before the Sino-Japanese wars. Which is what I expect.

Obviously that could be part of the solution, but society also needs people providing services- when the working age population is vastly exceeded by older people, providing all the necessary services could be a real problem.
Reply 17
Original post by Arbolus

I don't think that a decreasing population is a problem. Resources are becoming scarce and a country with a modest population will cope better than those with scary birth rates.
Japan has to wait for the baby-boomers to die and will do better.
As a white ex-resident of a large estate almost exclusively made up of British Blacks , British South and East Asians etc. , I can tell you that "immigrants" themselves are fine and invariably good people , in fact I've found Eastern European immigrants to be far more rude than "non-white immigrants" , not a particularly politically correct term I must say.

In my experience I've found the children and grandchildren of these immigrants to be the ones who cause problems , all of whom sharing a strange pseudo-ghettofied UK culture. I've seen "bare youts get shanked and shot" over things ranging from a girl to hardcore drug disputes. The police ( or "fedz" ) roamed the estate non-stop and stop-and-searched onsite. Everyone talked like they had jumped off the screen from Kidulthood. It was a terrifying and absurd experience. It's certainly not in the genes/culture of the immigrants , after all is growing weed plants part of Vietnamese culture , or misbehaving in school part of Nigerian culture? It is Second and third generation immigrants from impoverished backgrounds who cause these "problems" you associate with too much immigration , and I think the solution to such problems certainly isn't stopping immigration as a whole.
(edited 8 years ago)
Easier to learn English than Japanese imo

Quick Reply

Latest