The Student Room Group

OCR F581 Markets in Action - 11 May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Super199
Need some help with a past paper question.
Ocr June 2009. 2a and 2b. I put rate of tax on air travel as one or the demand determinants. Would that be wrong?
For 2b why does supply shift and not demand. Where in the question or how am I supposed to know supply shifts?

Tax is a factor affecting supply not demand. What is the question for 2b?
Original post by keynes24
Tax is a factor affecting supply not demand. What is the question for 2b?

ah right I get 2a now so it can't be tax because of what you said. For 2b it says " using a demand and supply diagram, explain how the growing number of low cost flights has affected the market for air travel in Europe"
It is supply because it means a rise in the number of firms
It is supply because it means a rise in the number of firms

sorry I don't understand
Original post by Super199
sorry I don't understand

More low cost airlines in the market indicates a rise in the number of firms in the industry. Any reference to a rise or fall in the number of firms is a factor affecting supply.
What do you think will be the essay this year?
Likely to be on subsidies
Not really, could be Tradable permits or regulation.
TBH
You cant really predict.
Original post by Maleeha121
Not really, could be Tradable permits or regulation.

Or you could learn how to answer any type of government intervention. January 2010 was an unusual question, it could come up again in terms of education. Also reduction in taxes or subsidies and consequences to a market.
Or you could learn how to answer any type of government intervention. January 2010 was an unusual question, it could come up again in terms of education. Also reduction in taxes or subsidies and consequences to a market.

Yes, we need to practice an essay question on each government intervention I.e. Regulation, indirect tax, subsidy, tradable permits and information provision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, we need to practice an essay question on each government intervention I.e. Regulation, indirect tax, subsidy, tradable permits and information provision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't bank on this, but june 2014 was tax so it's unlikely they'll do tax again. But again, keynes advice is best - do all 18 markers since 2009

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gladiatorsword
I wouldn't bank on this, but june 2014 was tax so it's unlikely they'll do tax again. But again, keynes advice is best - do all 18 markers since 2009

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah apart from tax, we need to do the rest.
Yeah apart from tax, we need to do the rest.

It could be a reduction in taxes on tobacco for instance. Also taxation could come up as a 6 marks question.
Omg that's what I'm saying. We have to do EVERYTHING but essay question will be anything APART from taxes.
Public goods hasnt been on a while, hm :s-smilie:
Can someone explain information provision and state provision.
For the January 2010 18 marker about the health service in the UK being government provided or private sector provided, it says that the private sector would exclude the very poorest, having "wider macro-economic implications on the supply side".

Could anyone enlighten me on what these implications would be please? Thanks
Original post by nectempus
For the January 2010 18 marker about the health service in the UK being government provided or private sector provided, it says that the private sector would exclude the very poorest, having "wider macro-economic implications on the supply side".

Could anyone enlighten me on what these implications would be please? Thanks

I would concentrate on micro issues such as inequality, demerit goods.......
By macro implications on the supply side I assume it refers to the lower availability of health care provision (not universal anymore) and the impact on the LRAS.
Can someone help me on the essay questions! I always get capped on 10 marks! Does anyone have any model essays I can look at?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending