The Student Room Group

Nottingham A100 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1200
[QUOTE=Nottie;55189487
Thanks Nottie, I am just taking it one step at a time, first my interview, now my exams and then if that goes well I will have to worry about the finance! I am in France. Where are you?
Original post by julianl
What do you mean when you say that the NHS covers our fees in the fifth year? Are you talking about NHS bursaries? Because I have looked at those and they are rarely available to non-UK students.

Also, how many international (non-UK) students are tippically doing this course? It seems like there are quite a few people on this thread that are from outside the UK.

no, I mean they pay to uni for our 5th year. Or sth like that. Well, the point is each person is allowed 36k from student finance to cover uni fees which lasts for 4 years only. So someone has to pay for our 5th year and this someone is NHS.

Hmm…including me there are I think 6 students from Europe and lots of people from Malaysia, China and Singapore. I can't really tell how many exactly cause there are also lots of British Asians on the course. But I'd say 10% of our year. You can ask the unknownone for possibly more details as he knows more people than I do :biggrin:.
Reply 1202
Original post by julianl
What do you mean when you say that the NHS covers our fees in the fifth year? Are you talking about NHS bursaries? Because I have looked at those and they are rarely available to non-UK students.

Also, how many international (non-UK) students are tippically doing this course? It seems like there are quite a few people on this thread that are from outside the UK.

I am from Bordeaux France but I do have British citizenship.
Original post by elly33
I am from Bordeaux France but I do have British citizenship.

if you are a British citizen you are entitled for higher student finance. You don't need to actually live there if you have British ID.
Original post by Nottie
if you are a British citizen you are entitled for higher student finance. You don't need to actually live there if you have British ID.

So does that means international students with a British passport are entitled to student finance too?: )
Original post by sharvarivadeyar
So does that means international students with a British passport are entitled to student finance too?: )

as far as I'm aware yes. But you may want to double check it :tongue:. It also means you can pay much lower fees
Original post by Nottie
as far as I'm aware yes. But you may want to double check it :tongue:. It also means you can pay much lower fees

Ahh cool I'll email them about it! thanks so much Nottie! :smile: looking forward to seeing you in September, thanks for all the help :smile:!
Ahh cool I'll email them about it! thanks so much Nottie! :smile: looking forward to seeing you in September, thanks for all the help :smile:!

I have a friend from HK that also has a British passport but I don't think she's entitled to student finance :frown:
By all means email and find out for sure though, I hope I'm wrong for your sake!
Just got an accomodation offer from Nightingale Hall. Any other medics there? I saw that it is fairly far from the medical school. Should I ask for reallocation?
Reply 1209
Original post by unknownone
I have a friend from HK that also has a British passport but I don't think she's entitled to student finance :frown:
By all means email and find out for sure though, I hope I'm wrong for your sake!

Hello If you go on the British Government website there is a part which explains the difference between English Citizens, English Nationals, Citizen by descent, ex colonies etc by completing a quick on line questionnaire... I found this really useful when checking (on the same site) which Finance I am eligible for. For example I have a British passport but reside in France so I can apply for a tuition fee loan but not a maintenance loan.
Reply 1210
Original post by elly33
Hello If you go on the British Government website there is a part which explains the difference between English Citizens, English Nationals, Citizen by descent, ex colonies etc by completing a quick on line questionnaire... I found this really useful when checking (on the same site) which Finance I am eligible for. For example I have a British passport but reside in France so I can apply for a tuition fee loan but not a maintenance loan.

SORRY REPLY MEANT FOR
sharvarivadeyar :smile:

Yeah, because of this girl I think hes entitled to firstly, lower fees and secondly, higher student finance :P
But again, not sure so he should double check it.

Original post by elly33
Hello If you go on the British Government website there is a part which explains the difference between English Citizens, English Nationals, Citizen by descent, ex colonies etc by completing a quick on line questionnaire... I found this really useful

Original post by Nottie
Yeah, because of this girl I think hes entitled to firstly, lower fees and secondly, higher student finance :P
But again, not sure so he should double check it.

Thanks so much you guys! I'll email them about it and also check out that questionnaire! :smile:
Thanks so much you guys! I'll email them about it and also check out that questionnaire! :smile:

Good luck :smile:
Can someone please explain what difference the BMedSci has on my FPAS points? I really don't understand! :confused:
Also, any tips from European students, as I am one myself. I have never quite understood the student finance component... I know I'm entitled to a student loan but I read something about the NHS covering fees for 5th years and was wondering whether that applies to us as well.
Thank you!! :smile:
Original post by kate1902
Can someone please explain what difference the BMedSci has on my FPAS points? I really don't understand! :confused:
Also, any tips from European students, as I am one myself. I have never quite understood the student finance component... I know I'm entitled to a student loan but I read something about the NHS covering fees for 5th years and was wondering whether that applies to us as well.

The BMedSci doesn't contribute to much on the FPAS tbh! If you get a first in your BMedSci, you get 3 points, a 2:1 will get you 2 points and a 2:2 will get you 1 point :smile:
The BMedSci doesn't contribute to much on the FPAS tbh! If you get a first in your BMedSci, you get 3 points, a 2:1 will get you 2 points and a 2:2 will get you 1 point :smile:

True, but if I didn't have the BMedSci I wouldn't have got into my 1st choice foundation school. It's free FPAS points just for showing up.
Original post by kate1902

The BMedSci points are discussed in more detail on the first post of page 119 of the thread entitled "Leicester Medicine Applicants 2015". Whether it makes a difference depends on what direction you want to take with your FY's and future career. Hope this helps.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
True, but if I didn't have the BMedSci I wouldn't have got into my 1st choice foundation school. It's free FPAS points just for showing up.

I didn't say it was totally worthless, just that it didn't contribute to much haha

But that's fair enough, congrats on getting your first choice man and best of look with your career!

I just didn't want to put across that it was worth loads, possibly giving the wrong impression of the BMedSci aspect of Notts
Original post by meddad
The BMedSci points are discussed in more detail on the first post of page 119 of the thread entitled "Leicester Medicine Applicants 2015". Whether it makes a difference depends on what direction you want to take with your FY's and future career. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending