The Student Room Group

HELP! Going to the Caribbean to study Medicine or going to Eastern Europe??

I have been studying Medicine in the Czech Republic for a couple of years now and am looking to transfer. Wanted to know what peoples opinions are on the idea of studying in the Caribbean vs studying in Eastern EU, under this criteria:

1) likelihood of passing?
2) Teaching standard?
3) General support?

For more clarity - I am looking at Caribbean Unis like Spartan Health Sciences University in St. Lucia/All Saints University in Dominica VS Koscice in Slovakia/Bulgarian Unis.
If you fail out of medicine in Czech Republic you should quit medicine. Stick with your current school or just stop. It sounds like you couldn't get into medical school in the UK, went to the Czech Republic and now you can't cope with their course and you want to go even easier. I sincerely hope you don't find a job as a physician.

Harsh words.... but needed
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Okorange,

Fair enough... if it makes you feel good about yourself to bash others that is up to you. Obviously, that is not why I posted for help, but maybe your not in a position to provide it. Ultimately I am looking for an easier experience studying Medicine elsewhere. I think that this is true of many students that arrive in the Czech Republic. Perhaps you have a hidden resentment towards those that do not get places in the UK... again that is not for me to say. Maybe you actually do have some knowledge about the field and/or studying outside the UK... or maybe you're just a simpleton, with limited knowledge of any of the subjects raised in this thread, and actually need recognise that others are not as judgmental as you. good luck nob head.
Reply 3
Original post by etc1
Okorange,

Fair enough... if it makes you feel good about yourself to bash others that is up to you. Obviously, that is not why I posted for help, but maybe your not in a position to provide it. Ultimately I am looking for an easier experience studying Medicine elsewhere. I think that this is true of many students that arrive in the Czech Republic. Perhaps you have a hidden resentment towards those that do not get places in the UK... again that is not for me to say. Maybe you actually do have some knowledge about the field and/or studying outside the UK... or maybe you're just a simpleton, with limited knowledge of any of the subjects raised in this thread, and actually need recognise that others are not as judgmental as you. good luck nob head.

Dont listen to him I know that the syllabus is much more intense in czech republic than most of the unis in the UK, so doesnt make you less able. Good luck :smile:
Original post by etc1
I have been studying Medicine in the Czech Republic for a couple of years now and am looking to transfer. Wanted to know what peoples opinions are on the idea of studying in the Caribbean vs studying in Eastern EU, under this criteria:

1) likelihood of passing?
2) Teaching standard?
3) General support?

For more clarity - I am looking at Caribbean Unis like Spartan Health Sciences University in St. Lucia/All Saints University in Dominica VS Koscice in Slovakia/Bulgarian Unis.

Caribbean has very commendable institutes, plus the weather is nice and people friendly. Czech you may have a problem due to language unlike in the Caribbean
Because it is medicine it will be hard to pass in both
Teaching standard may be equal- most may think czech but a lot of well trained teachers go to the Caribbean- called expats
support would be better in the Caribbean
Original post by etc1

Coincidentally, I read an article on this particular school a few weeks ago:

http://www.courant.com/hc-medschools-stlucia-1215-story.html#page=1

Tl;dr: It's a quack factory.

Why are you looking to transfer?
Reply 6
Original post by Democracy
Coincidentally, I read an article on this particular school a few weeks ago:

http://www.courant.com/hc-medschools-stlucia-1215-story.html#page=1

Tl;dr: It's a quack factory.

Why are you looking to transfer?

Thank you... I have seen a lot of negative info on the Caribbean, but it is mainly from US students who are comparing their undergrad schools to the Caribbean. I come from a different perspective as I am comparing Eastern EU Medical Schools directly with Caribbean ones.

I am looking to transfer because the drop out rate here is vv. high. This is because we have oral exams as the final part of testing. This gives all the power to the examiner. It can get tough when an examiner has a problem with you. Ultimately, being in year 6 and getting the boot is something i dont want to have happen to me so I'm trying to jump ship to gain a better clinical experience with hopefully better teaching ASAP.

Original post by Iwouldliketoknow
Caribbean has very commendable institutes, plus the weather is nice and people friendly. Czech you may have a problem due to language unlike in the Caribbean
Because it is medicine it will be hard to pass in both
Teaching standard may be equal- most may think czech but a lot of well trained teachers go to the Caribbean- called expats
support would be better in the Caribbean

I wonder if you know how some of the less well known Caribbean schools match up to some of the less well known Eastern EU schools? - I mean apart from not having to learn another language and use it during clinical years it seems like the Carib is a much more expensive option for limited benefits?
Original post by etc1
Thank you... I have seen a lot of negative info on the Caribbean, but it is mainly from US students who are comparing their undergrad schools to the Caribbean.

No, it's just poor standards of medical education full stop - doesn't make a difference what you're comparing it to. Did you not read the parts about the lack of a library and the poor quality of teaching?

Basically...are you just desperate to get a medical degree at any cost? Even if you're a badly educated and potentially unsafe practitioner?

There are probably better quality schools in the Caribbean - however, if you get a Caribbean MD you will need to do the PLAB if you're planning on practising in the UK. This would not be the case if you graduated from a medical school in the EU. Is that something you really want to go through?

I am looking to transfer because the drop out rate here is vv. high. This is because we have oral exams as the final part of testing. This gives all the power to the examiner. It can get tough when an examiner has a problem with you. Ultimately, being in year 6 and getting the boot is something i dont want to have happen to me so I'm trying to jump ship to gain a better clinical experience with hopefully better teaching ASAP.

Why would the examiner have a problem with you?
Ok that's enough guys. I've cleaned this thread up, please be civil to each other.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending