The Student Room Group

Why do immigrants regard England as a state rather than as an inheritance?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by G8D
Why's it bogus? Non-white British citizens are still 'British' for all intents and purposes.
You can't, however, make an asian person ethnically British.

So to be British and English is to be white ethnically. What is meant by white ethnically because if it means from Anglo Saxons that would make many white people who consider themselves English to be to her e.g
French or german
Original post by gladders
There's no such thing as an ethnically British person any more than an ethnically American person. It's a legal contruct,

actually its a social construct based around various things like language, culture, physical appearance, religion, dialect, dress, mythology, ancestry, historial heritage...
Original post by Iwouldliketoknow
So to be British and English is to be white ethnically. What is meant by white ethnically because if it means from Anglo Saxons that would make many white people who consider themselves English to be to her e.g
French or german

British is the nationality of the UK. English are an ethnic group whose identity comes from Anglo-Saxon invaders, they're white, they're seperate identities
Original post by G8D
Well a British person will be a white person with British heritage reaching back prior to mass globalisation. Not all British people will necessarily be citizens.

A British citizen is someone who has (and utilises) a right to live and/or work here.

who came up with this classification
does it mean british and english are interchangable.
Original post by Babada Boopy
actually its a social construct based around various things like language, culture, physical appearance, religion, dialect, dress, mythology, ancestry, historial heritage...

All of which over thousands of years has been altered and influenced by immigration waves.
All of which over thousasa of years has been altered and influenced by immigration waves.

Which is why we have English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish all as different British ethnic groups
Original post by G8D
Well a British person will be a white person with British heritage reaching back prior to mass globalisation. Not all British people will necessarily be citizens.

A British citizen is someone who has (and utilises) a right to live and/or work here.

How do you define 'British heritage'? At what point in history would they have immigrant blood that would disqualify them from being 'ethnically' British?
How do you define 'British heritage'? At what point in history would they have immigrant blood that would disqualify them from being 'ethnically' British?

Well when Britain was formed as a union it was between England and Scotland joining together, the native people in these countries were both white so
Which is why we have English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish all as different British ethnic groups

And all of these had both been intermingling with each other and with far-flung groups from across the waves for a very long time. So how do you define an ethnic Englishman, for example?
Well when Britain was formed as a union it was between England and Scotland joining together, the native people in these countries were both white so

So what about immigration before and after that point? Would it surprise you to learn that there were non-white people in this country then, and mingled their DNA in with the 'ethnic' groups?
And all of these had both been intermingling with each other and with far-flung groups from across the waves for a very long time. So how do you define an ethnic Englishman, for example?

They're all look the same so physically you can't. You'd define it by where they were born, who their parents were, their accent, where they grew up, what their surname is ect
They're all look the same so physically you can't. You'd define it by where they were born, who their parents were, their accent, where they grew up, what their surname is ect

So are you saying that physical appearance determines someone's character?

So what names would you consider soundly ehtnically English, then?
So what about immigration before and after that point? Would it surprise you to learn that there were non-white people in this country then, and mingled their DNA in with the 'ethnic' groups?

There was little immigration before the 20th century in this country so that what little there was just intermixed with the natives and were absorbed into gene pool.
There was little immigration before the 20th century in this country so that what little there was just intermixed with the natives and were absorbed into gene pool.

Immigration was, in spurts, enormous and varied, and people of those times whined about immigration just as much, if not more, than certain present-day people.
So are you saying that physical appearance determines someone's character?

So what names would you consider soundly ehtnically English, then?

Where did I say character? Ethnicity is a social identity, around belonging to a group of people, of course your race and looks is a factor in this, maybe that upsets some people but thats just how it is

Names with an English and Anglo-Saxon origin? lol
Original post by G8D
1950 is too modern, lol. But in terms of mass globalisation (as I mentioned) you're not that far off.

As I just said, immigration has occurred in great numbers to this country before, and without it, this country wouldn't be the way it is.

I don't see why immigrants would disagree with me, seeing as they are likely coming from their own country and have an ethnic identity. 2nd/3rd generation would have the necessary insecurity though.

Aren't you assuming that modern national borders follow ethnic lines?
Immigration was, in spurts, enormous and varied, and people of those times whined about immigration just as much, if not more, than certain present-day people.

Last year we received over 500,000 immigrants into this country. Do you have evidence we recieved similar numbers in such a small amount of time before the 20th century?
Where did I say character? Ethnicity is a social identity, around belonging to a group of people, of course your race and looks is a factor in this, maybe that upsets some people but thats just how it is

Not really, anecdotal I know, but I have some non-white friends born and raised here who are as English as roast beef. And that's a funny thing about roast beef: Sunday lunch is something that French immigrants brought to this country.

Names with an English and Anglo-Saxon origin? lol

You're saying there's none? So does that mean that there's no surname which hasn't been affected by immigration?
Not really, anecdotal I know, but I have some non-white friends born and raised here who are as English as roast beef. And that's a funny thing about roast beef: Sunday lunch is something that French immigrants brought to this country.

You're saying there's none? So does that mean that there's no surname which hasn't been affected by immigration?

Roast beef didn't come from France, and I'm sorry but they aren't English, they're British

There are tons of English and Anglo-Saxon surnames, what are you talking about?
Last year we received over 500,000 immigrants into this country. Do you have evidence we recieved similar numbers in such a small amount of time before the 20th century?

I didn't claim any such thing, but there's a view that, in proportion to population size at various times, the immigration waves were proportionally just as large. As an example, fifty thousand French Huguenots emigrated from France to England in 1708-9.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending