The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Does anybody know what 32 marks in the AS edexcel chemistry controlled assessment is? Is it a C?

I think that would be yes. I know that a is 37 so I reckon b is probably 34ish

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
I think that would be yes. I know that a is 37 so I reckon b is probably 34ish

Posted from TSR Mobile

:frown: Oh well, whats done is done, I found the experience painful, I just cannot to practicals. Thankyou for replying!
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
:frown: Oh well, whats done is done, I found the experience painful, I just cannot to practicals. Thankyou for replying!

Any of the practicals in particular that didnt go so well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
Any of the practicals in particular that didnt go so well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My titration one but I suspected that since I was holding my thumb under the glass pipette to stop the HCL dripping out :rolleyes: and my non-organic. I lost 4 marks in both :eek::frown:
Reply 1944
AQA please add me
Ocr isa quantative; titrations? Please help
Hey all

If you need any extra revision materials - questions (+ answers!) and notes - check out my website www.scienceskool.co.uk All totally free, no ads and can all be viewed offline once downloaded of course. I hope you find it useful.

Alex
The first five successive ionization energies of an element, X, are shown in the tablebelow.

Ionization energy: first second third fourth fifth
Value/ kJ mol–1 590 1100 4900 6500 8100

Which ion is X most likely to form when it reacts with chlorine?
A X+
B X2+
C X3+
D X4+

HELP PLEASE! :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by alevels2k15
The first five successive ionization energies of an element, X, are shown in the tablebelow.

Ionization energy: first second third fourth fifth
Value/ kJ mol–1 590 1100 4900 6500 8100

Which ion is X most likely to form when it reacts with chlorine?
A X+
B X2+
C X3+
D X4+

HELP PLEASE! :frown:

I'm assuming it's B because there's a huge jump between the second and third ionisation energy.
Original post by frozo123
I'm assuming it's B because there's a huge jump between the second and third ionisation energy.

Yeah! the answer is B :smile:
BUT how?
i dont understand how to go about answering this question :frown:
BUT how?

well what do you know about ionisation energies atm?
BUT how?

When removing an electron from a different shell there is a big jump in ionisation energy because
- there is less shielding as there is one less full shell
- ionic radius is much smaller, shorter distance between the outermost electron and the nucleus
(- higher proton to electron ratio)
and so the attraction between the outermost electron and the nucleus is much bigger which means a lot of energy is needed to remove the electron.

In this example there is a big jump between 2nd and 3rd ionisation energy, so you would know that it is a group 2 element as there are two electrons in outer shell of a group 2 metal. Group 2 metals form 2+ ions when it reacts with chlorine.

Similarly if the jump is between 1st and 2nd IE the element is in group 1 etc.
Original post by Connor_leigh
Yeah thats what my one was on aswell. What other lessons do you do? Any other ones with ISA's i can help with?

I do chemistry, biology, English language and philosophy. I just did the practical for my resit ISA in biology where we had to paint leeks with clear nail varnish and use selotape to peel off the varnish. Then put it on a slide and count how many cells are in a row in one field of view. The practical was easy but plants are my worst part in Biology so if you know what I could revise that would be great
AQA, and yourself?
Does anyone know where I could find good revision notes on the biology ISA?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Help.I haven't really done equilibriuma in my school,but how do I answer this question?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
Help.I haven't really done equilibriuma in my school,but how do I answer this question?

The rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the backwards reaction, therefore the concentrations of them gases remain the same basically
(edited 9 years ago)
All subjects are AQA except philosophy which is OCR
Anyone doing Bio or chem aqa empa ? :frown:
Original post by grapes12
All subjects are AQA except philosophy which is OCR

My condolences :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have a couple of questions if you could;

1) what is the significance of the alkaki being in excess when reacting with copper chloride?
2) when calcium and water react, why does the hydroxide solid not form immediately, is it because the hydroxide is only slightly soluble?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest