The Student Room Group

Purely using CGP revision books for AS chemistry?

Hi,
So at the moment I'm purely using the CGP OCR chemistry A revision guide and I seem to understand the concepts fairly well. Only I've been told by others the highest I could receive where C/D grades. What if I did past papers after that? I'm learning the concepts too so maybe this is what they are talking about.
Reply 1
I only revised using CGP last year at AS and ended up getting a B. As long as you understand concepts and apply them you should be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by acatctho
I only revised using CGP last year at AS and ended up getting a B. As long as you understand concepts and apply them you should be fine.

Wow that's good, seriously? The revision guide or the cgp textbook? I don't know why but I find that the revision guide gets straight to the point and has a layout that seems great for making connections.
Reply 3
Original post by Cherry82
Wow that's good, seriously? The revision guide or the cgp textbook? I don't know why but I find that the revision guide gets straight to the point and has a layout that seems great for making connections.

I used both CGP and the official revision guide.
Reply 4
Original post by acatctho
I used both CGP and the official revision guide.

How do you mean? As in the official OCR book and the CGP revision guide together?
Hi,
So at the moment I'm purely using the CGP OCR chemistry A revision guide and I seem to understand the concepts fairly well. Only I've been told by others the highest I could receive where C/D grades. What if I did past papers after that? I'm learning the concepts too so maybe this is what they are talking about.

Ive only used the revision book for both unit 1 and 2... Banging As in past papers :cool: what ever works, no?
That's the only textbook I use. So far I've gotten As on every past paper. Works for me, if it works for you too then great! Don't listen to others, only you know what works best for you!
Reply 7
Original post by Angelo12231
Ive only used the revision book for both unit 1 and 2... Banging As in past papers :cool: what ever works, no?

Seriously? Have you not touched the official study guide at all though? Everyone has said to me that this is essential but I agree with you. Me personally the official OCR study guide is difficult for me to understand but the CGP revision guide gets straight to the point which I love. I wouldn't mind buying the study guide to use with the revision guide as CGP has been great so far.
Reply 8
Original post by victoria98
That's the only textbook I use. So far I've gotten As on every past paper. Works for me, if it works for you too then great! Don't listen to others, only you know what works best for you!

Thanks. I agree. In terms of extra information and depth, how did you find it as the revision guide doesn't do this.
Seriously? Have you not touched the official study guide at all though? Everyone has said to me that this is essential but I agree with you. Me personally the official OCR study guide is difficult for me to understand but the CGP revision guide gets straight to the point which I love. I wouldn't mind buying the study guide to use with the revision guide as CGP has been great so far.

Dont get me wrong, I understand the ocr endorsed guide, it just tries too hard to teach me the content. Instead I find it easier to recall chunks of information and it feels easier to build on later.
Thanks. I agree. In terms of extra information and depth, how did you find it as the revision guide doesn't do this.

Tbh, the revision guide is everything on the spec. The stuff on the big books is just to aid your understanding, but I think if you are doing good with understanding, there is no reason to read the big books other than to kill time.
Reply 11
Original post by Angelo12231
Tbh, the revision guide is everything on the spec. The stuff on the big books is just to aid your understanding, but I think if you are doing good with understanding, there is no reason to read the big books other than to kill time.

Hmm, true. How do you know if you're ok with the understanding? Sorry I'm asking because I'm trying to know where I lie lol.
In any subject, using a wide range of textbooks and resources is always good to get a good scope of the topics. Whilst I did love the CGP books, and they were extremely useful, I always referred back to the official OCR textbook. It's all about what you feel benefits you the most thouh (and what gets the best results). The revision guides are great to top up your knowledge (once you understand everything).
Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest