The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

English with Study in North America at Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JordanT9000
Friday 15th May :smile: have to drive down there with my Mum as the train is like £140 from where I live in East Sussex, so car weirdly works out cheaper. Also going to get a premier inn / hotel or something to explore the area as it really does sound nice. I have a friend from my sixth form starting the same time 2 , which kind of sweetens the deal (she took a year out to travel )

Oh no I have an exam that day.. what a shame. But yes sounds like a good idea to explore the area. And lucky you - I don't know anyone going! But have a great time (are you on facebook/any of the exeter fresher's groups?)
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
I'm on Facebook - Jordan Tapp :smile: and good lucky with your exams. For some reason, mine are all clumped within a week of each other in June :frown: hopefully I'll see you in September. This course works out well as freshers week + a day spare before the corse starts XD
Friday 15th May :smile: have to drive down there with my Mum as the train is like £140 from where I live in East Sussex, so car weirdly works out cheaper. Also going to get a premier inn / hotel or something to explore the area as it really does sound nice. I have a friend from my sixth form starting the same time 2 , which kind of sweetens the deal (she took a year out to travel )

if you wish to travel by train here is something that might save you money. book singles from your place to London and singles London to Exeter. it might also be worth looking into a student rail card. if travelling with your mother then look into a two together railcard. both cost £30 and you get 30% off. see national rail enquiries for fares. if you intend staying in Exeter there is a premier inn opposite st davids station. this is about 15 minutes up hill walk to the uni or there is a bus which takes a couple of minutes from the station. there are a couple of b & b's on st davids hill 5 minutes walk from the station and 1 minutes to the uni. there is a wetherspoons pub between the station and the uni which does reasonable food. the uni pud the ram also does reasonable meals.

otherwise you could try jury's inn or the clock tower in town about 15 minutes walk to the uni. checkout late rooms.com
Original post by niveous
Nottingham's probably going to be my firm if Exeter's not, which unfortunately has a first come first serve system. I applied and got into East Anglia as well- I'm glad to hear it doesn't function in the same way. How about you?

By the way, if they rejected you for Study in North America but they offered you a place on the straight English BA course instead, would you consider firming it? And do you think they would do this?

Hello,

I rang Exeter today and they told me I was still being considered for the course. I am sorry to hear about Nottingham's structure. If they rejected me and placed me into English BA it wouldn't be one of my offers. I am set on going to America as I am fascinated in it, also all my other courses offer me to go to America for a year. I really hope they don't do this!
Reply 64
Original post by certifiedpoo
Hello,

I rang Exeter today and they told me I was still being considered for the course. I am sorry to hear about Nottingham's structure. If they rejected me and placed me into English BA it wouldn't be one of my offers. I am set on going to America as I am fascinated in it, also all my other courses offer me to go to America for a year. I really hope they don't do this!

Good luck! I'm sure it'll go well. I too applied for 3 courses that allowed me to go to America but the UEA and Nottingham courses were 4 year long and were classed under the School of American Studies which was really not what I wanted so I changed my courses for all of them to Q300. I don't think anywhere apart from this course sticks strictly to American literature without forcing some American history and culture on you too. But you might like that.

Anyway, I hope all goes well. :smile:
I wish everyone the best who hasn't heard back from Exeter, I'm afraid I won't be seeing you guys there, I rejected their offer because I didn't like how they've handled all of this.
Reply 66
Original post by niveous
Okay aha, so I got an email from Exeter today basically rejecting me for the North America course but offering me a place on the single honours. Maybe I'll see you guys and Elelea there... :-)

That's great! Congrats on the single honors offer! What's the grades?
Reply 67
I just firmed English with Study in North America! I'm probably not going to get the grades I need haha but I'm excited nonetheless :smile:
Reply 68
Original post by Elelea
That's great! Congrats on the single honors offer! What's the grades?

Thank you! Sorry this is so late, it's A*AA. I'm confident i'll get it though + I've firmed Exeter. Have you applied for accommodation? I'd love to see you there :-)
Reply 69
Original post by niveous
Thank you! Sorry this is so late, it's A*AA. I'm confident i'll get it though + I've firmed Exeter. Have you applied for accommodation? I'd love to see you there :-)

Same as me then! Yes I have. Put down Duryard, Northfield, Birks Grange Village. All self-catered en-suite. You?
Original post by Elelea
Same as me then! Yes I have. Put down Duryard, Northfield, Birks Grange Village. All self-catered en-suite. You?

I wonder how quickly does accommodation need to be sorted out and is it first come first serve? Haha I haven't sorted mine out yet as I want to have a poke around the uni first. Hopefully I can get the grades as it is my firm with A*BB - which means my insurance uni is now somewhere I really don't want to go. Has anyone with an offer checked out the American unis yet ? - Vassar looks amazing and Meryl Streep went there! Kind of nervous though, first one in my family to ever go to university :O
I wonder how quickly does accommodation need to be sorted out and is it first come first serve? Haha I haven't sorted mine out yet as I want to have a poke around the uni first. Hopefully I can get the grades as it is my firm with A*BB - which means my insurance uni is now somewhere I really don't want to go. Has anyone with an offer checked out the American unis yet ? - Vassar looks amazing and Meryl Streep went there! Kind of nervous though, first one in my family to ever go to university :O

I still am waiting for an offer or rejection! I am also wondering about accommodation as I will only have a short time to decide it all:frown:
Reply 72

Pretty sure it's not first come first serve as people still haven't received offers yet application opened on the 13th and that would just be unfair. I think you have to apply by July (could be wrong I can't remember) and then they sort it out after results are out so you have plenty of time.
Reply 73
Original post by Elelea

Awesome. Just sent it off now but: Rowe House, St German's and Lafrowda, all self-catered ensuites.

What did you put as your top 4 interests? aha, I put music, reading, different cultures/languages and art.

And in case people were wondering, according to Exeter they're not on a first-come first-serve basis.
Reply 74
Original post by niveous
Awesome. Just sent it off now but: Rowe House, St German's and Lafrowda, all self-catered ensuites.

What did you put as your top 4 interests? aha, I put music, reading, different cultures/languages and art.

And in case people were wondering, according to Exeter they're not on a first-come first-serve basis.

Think I went for reading and travelling but I can't remember the other two haha.
Hello hello hello hopeful future ESNA people! I couldn't resist posting on here as I'm a fresher on this course right now. Just thought I'd say a few things to ease your mind as I couldn't find anybody to help me last year!
1. There are only 10 of us, we had 2 drop outs, so this is a majorly competitive course. This is why the application process took/is taking so long. Don't lose heart!
2. Don't wait around after you get your offer, as I believe the accommodation is somewhat first come first served. However, I ended up on accommodation at St Luke's Campus (a 20-30 min walk from Streatham) and I wouldn't change it for the world. If you're willing to make friends, you will.
3. Do some research into the North American colleges available to you, as you will have an interview discussing which you like. Never hurts to get ahead!

Feel free to message me with any q's. :-)
Original post by _chloepaige
Hello hello hello hopeful future ESNA people! I couldn't resist posting on here as I'm a fresher on this course right now. Just thought I'd say a few things to ease your mind as I couldn't find anybody to help me last year!
1. There are only 10 of us, we had 2 drop outs, so this is a majorly competitive course. This is why the application process took/is taking so long. Don't lose heart!
2. Don't wait around after you get your offer, as I believe the accommodation is somewhat first come first served. However, I ended up on accommodation at St Luke's Campus (a 20-30 min walk from Streatham) and I wouldn't change it for the world. If you're willing to make friends, you will.
3. Do some research into the North American colleges available to you, as you will have an interview discussing which you like. Never hurts to get ahead!

Feel free to message me with any q's. :-)

do you know how many people applied for the course?
Hey Future ESNA-ers! Those going to Exeter (and doing ESNA) this year will meet me at some point, but I thought I would just introduce myself in case you had any questions over the summer. I just got back from Vassar College (NY), and will be going into my third year in September. I have friends who have been to all the colleges in the US and Canada that Ex offers, so I can find out things about those colleges too. Let me know if you need anything!
Reply 78
Just applied for 2017 entry on Wednesday, looks like there is a history of a long wait, oh god:') Predicted:A*AA (Plus an A in EPQ and an A in psychology AS (self taught)) Odds on an offer?x
Reply 79
Just got an offer for this course for 2017 study! With the conditions of AAA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending