The Student Room Group

Age of consent is too low

I recently looked at countries age of consent most countries age of consent is 16 ,which I think is too low.If it was the right age then their would not be so much teen pregnancies, If people would know the consequences and dangers their would be no young mums and this suggests people don't. I am not against teen mums its just many teens struggle as they do not finish school and end up leaving school with no qualifications.

Many don't go to university some do but not all parents are supportive. Do you think the age of consent should be higher? I would suggest higher then 18 so people would be able to go to uni first and then have kids so at about 22 as the average degree is 3 years. I am infuriated by the low age of consent no wonder there is so much teen mums who have hard lives because of that I know its their decisions but no everyone makes good decisions especially males as they can get away with it while the mum usually cares for the child and the father can easily not be a part of the childs upbringing.

Scroll to see replies

The age of consent doesn't cause teenage pregnancies, the teenagers do - mainly due to the lack of education available. Young people are going to have sex if they want to regardless of it being legal or not. The only issue is that it allows older men to have sex with younger girls or older women to have sex with younger men, so in that respect, yes maybe it should be at least 18.
Original post by Maria1812
I recently looked at countries age of consent most countries age of consent is 16 ,which I think is too low.If it was the right age then their would not be so much teen pregnancies, If people would know the consequences and dangers their would be no young mums and this suggests people don't. I am not against teen mums its just many teens struggle as they do not finish school and end up leaving school with no qualifications.

Many don't go to university some do but not all parents are supportive. Do you think the age of consent should be higher? I would suggest higher then 18 so people would be able to go to uni first and then have kids so at about 22 as the average degree is 3 years. I am infuriated by the low age of consent no wonder there is so much teen mums who have hard lives because of that I know its their decisions but no everyone makes good decisions especially males as they can get away with it while the mum usually cares for the child and the father can easily not be a part of the childs upbringing.

Remember the age of consent isn't just about being able to consent to intercourse. It's also about giving consent to your own medical treatment.

Personally, I think 16 is about right. I'd support it going up as far as 18 because that's the age when you legally become an adult, but I don't think it should be any higher.

Besides, there are plenty of underage pregnancies. :smile:
The age of drinking is 18 and that doesnt stop 13/14 years olds...
I think age of consent should be 67
I don't go outside so this rule/law doesn't affect me
Reply 6
Theres no point in raising it as it won't stop teenagers from having sex. As a society we have to just encourage safe sex
Reply 7
Original post by aadam10
Theres no point in raising it as it won't stop teenagers from having sex. As a society we have to just encourage safe sex

As a society we should punish them for underage sex so people won't do it use it as a deterent this is to protect young people and allow them to be well educated to suceed in life.
We have one of the higher teen pregnancy rates in Europe and also one of the higher ages of consent. I don't think anyone really cares what the age of consent is, to be honest. All a high age of consent does is make it a huge problem for teenagers who might have an age gap of a couple of years, eg 17 year old and 15 year old. Idk, I think 14/5 is probably a better age for age of consent tbh, the most important think is making sure that abuse of power relationships such as with parents, teachers, therapists etc aren't taking place. Teenagers will screw around, always have, always will.
Reply 9
Well we punish people for committing murder but people still murder. Teenagers are gonna have sex and thats never gonna change
Reply 10
Original post by soanonymous
The age of consent doesn't cause teenage pregnancies, the teenagers do - mainly due to the lack of education available. Young people are going to have sex if they want to regardless of it being legal or not. The only issue is that it allows older men to have sex with younger girls or older women to have sex with younger men, so in that respect, yes maybe it should be at least 18.

Therefore we should punish those who are pregnant below age of consent in the news there was a 12 year old mother that is outrageous I think there should be a punishment as it is dangerous for young children to have children and children should not have children they should be children and not parents. I think if the punishments were severe people would not do stupid things.
As a society we should punish them for underage sex so people won't do it use it as a deterent this is to protect young people and allow them to be well educated to suceed in life.

A good flogging would set them straight. :hubba:
Reply 12
Original post by aadam10
Well we punish people for committing murder but people still murder. Teenagers are gonna have sex and thats never gonna change

The problem is not knowing safe sex the problem is knowing it too early children should be protected from such things and learn it at an appropriate age.
Therefore we should punish those who are pregnant below age of consent in the news there was a 12 year old mother that is outrageous I think there should be a punishment as it is dangerous for young children to have children and children should not have children they should be children and not parents. I think if the punishments were severe people would not do stupid things.

And how do you propose they be punished?
Original post by soanonymous
And how do you propose they be punished?

I vote flogging, as stated above. So wrong it must be right! :awesome:
Reply 15
Original post by Wahrheit
We have one of the higher teen pregnancy rates in Europe and also one of the higher ages of consent. I don't think anyone really cares what the age of consent is, to be honest. All a high age of consent does is make it a huge problem for teenagers who might have an age gap of a couple of years, eg 17 year old and 15 year old. Idk, I think 14/5 is probably a better age for age of consent tbh, the most important think is making sure that abuse of power relationships such as with parents, teachers, therapists etc aren't taking place. Teenagers will screw around, always have, always will.

The problem is also no discipline no discipline and no punishment children need discipline and uk is not strict there is not sense of authority kids now a days do what they want to do. They should know who is in charge and if they do something stupid like teen pregnancies they will be punished and they will not be let off the hook so easily we are too mild with children we are not harsh enough.
Reply 16
Original post by superwolf

It probably reduces it significantly.

then teens would go illegal.
Reply 18
Original post by superwolf

Prison nothing too gentle the parents should get punished also because as parents they have a responibility to protect their child and help them suceed and shield them from bad decisions they have a reponsibility to discipline them and show them who is in charge so they will do the right thing and not allow boyfriends at young ages but focus on studying.
The problem is not knowing safe sex the problem is knowing it too early children should be protected from such things and learn it at an appropriate age.

I personally don't think thats true. I think sex ed should at an early age as if we withhold it then kids will just go online and will gain a misinformed view of sex and of how to treat women.
By teaching kids younger is not such a taboo therefore teenagers will be more responsible and make informed decisions.

Quick Reply

Latest