Scroll to see replies

Reply 500

What topic is that ratio relevant to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 501
Original post by CD223
What topic is that ratio relevant to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Evidence for the big bang theory. There are 3 hydrogens to every one helium in the universe. It's to do with the heat at the start of the universe - it was hot enough for protons/neutrons to fuse into hydrogen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 502
Original post by _Caz_
Evidence for the big bang theory. There are 3 hydrogens to every one helium in the universe. It's to do with the heat at the start of the universe - it was hot enough for protons/neutrons to fuse into hydrogen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, it makes sense that I don't know that yet then... Covering the Big Bang theory in my next lesson! Thanks for the info though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 503
Original post by CD223
Ah, it makes sense that I don't know that yet then... Covering the Big Bang theory in my next lesson! Thanks for the info though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 504

Is there any hard topics beyond the Doppler effect?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 505
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lens calculations and resolving power for me
Reply 506
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find the concept of parallax the most difficult thing in the whole topic. There's nothing harder than that in the whole unit. The only thing that is a little bit tricky is the units when using Hubble's constant but other than that I think you'll be okay :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 507
Original post by TheRAG
Lens calculations and resolving power for me

By lens calculations do you mean using that specific equation (1/f=...), or just the whole topic to do with magnification, power, collecting areas etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 508
Original post by _Caz_
I find the concept of parallax the most difficult thing in the whole topic. There's nothing harder than that in the whole unit. The only thing that is a little bit tricky is the units when using Hubble's constant but other than that I think you'll be okay :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right I think Hubble's constant is Tuesday's lesson!

Could you kindly explain how to convert between parsecs and metres? Do I just have to "remember" 1pc = 3.08x10^16 m?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 509
Has anyone done the exam questions by topic on physicsandmathstutor.com? I'm finding it really hard. I think a lot of the questions are legacy spec, so may be more difficult. Anyone had any experience?
Reply 510
Original post by JaySP
Has anyone done the exam questions by topic on physicsandmathstutor.com? I'm finding it really hard. I think a lot of the questions are legacy spec, so may be more difficult. Anyone had any experience?

I'm personally sticking to the current set of papers. I know they're limited but it's a better indication of what the exam wil be like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 511
Original post by CD223
I'm personally sticking to the current set of papers. I know they're limited but it's a better indication of what the exam wil be like.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I may join you there as I'm frankly finding this a little disheartening. What are you using to practice?
Reply 512
Original post by JaySP
I may join you there as I'm frankly finding this a little disheartening. What are you using to practice?

I'm using the CGP guide, my own notes, the Nelson Thornes book and gonna start on past papers ASAP this week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 513
Original post by CD223

Could you kindly explain how to convert between parsecs and metres? Do I just have to "remember" 1pc = 3.08x10^16 m?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's on the data sheet, all the conversions for parsecs to lightyears/metres etc, under the astro heading :smile:
Reply 514
Original post by Lau14
It's on the data sheet, all the conversions for parsecs to lightyears/metres etc, under the astro heading :smile:

Much appreciated! I should look at that before the exam...

What are you doing in class at the minute? We have 3 lessons left before we finish astro, then the EMPA on the 5th :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 515
Original post by CD223
Much appreciated! I should look at that before the exam...

What are you doing in class at the minute? We have 3 lessons left before we finish astro, then the EMPA on the 5th :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

EMPA prep/mocks recently, EMPA practical this coming week, then revision or something I expect :smile:
Reply 516
Original post by Lau14
EMPA prep/mocks recently, EMPA practical this coming week, then revision or something I expect :smile:

Sounds good! I got 3 EMPA section B papers done today which was okay - hard to do the questions that rely on part A data of course, but I guess some questions regarding proving relationships and reducing uncertainty etc could be useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 517
Original post by CD223
Sounds good! I got 3 EMPA section B papers done today which was okay - hard to do the questions that rely on part A data of course, but I guess some questions regarding proving relationships and reducing uncertainty etc could be useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I plan to mostly read through the ones that rely on the practical bit and see if I have any idea what it's on about to be honest :tongue: might to the other question properly though. How did you find them?
Reply 518
Original post by Lau14
Yeah I plan to mostly read through the ones that rely on the practical bit and see if I have any idea what it's on about to be honest :tongue: might to the other question properly though. How did you find them?

That makes sense! They were really hard if I'm honest. Not sure if that's because I didn't do the part As for them or what. It just was difficult to comprehend what the questions asked.

I'm desperate for at least a C this year lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 519
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty sure it's on the formula sheet along with stuff like the distance 1AU in metres and that 1pc is 3.26ly etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending