The Student Room Group

The Everton FC Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
He scored a hattrick in midweek?

It was clearly an exaggeration. He simply had one of those days yesterday.
Only three points above Villa.

You could quite easily become embroiled in a relegation scrap.
3-0, happy days.

17th goal of the season for Rom by the way.
Original post by Stylo92
3-0, happy days.

Nice to hear Lukaku is doing better now.

On track for a 20 goal season and a third season in a row in the prem scoring double figures, can't argue with that. You got a great talent there if he gets his head right.
Original post by Stylo92
3-0, happy days.

Even nicer to see Barkley among the goals imo.
Reply 565
What does everyone think of Besic?
Finally we look good in a league game!
Martinez was proven right for going with plan B. Kone replacing Naismith was smart, and it makes Everton's play altogether more urgent and direct. I know it isn't how Martinez wants to play, and I am impressed with him for sticking by his morals, but plan B and going the more direct route is reaping benefits for them right now.
Original post by Mackay
Even nicer to see Barkley among the goals imo.

I concur.
Original post by Stylo92
I concur.

Gibson back, too. Happier days for you lot.
It's been a while...

3-0, happy days.
What a performance from McCarthy. He's had a disappointing season with injury, but when fit, he shows what an immense talent he is.

It's defensively where he impresses me most, and the solidity he brings to the Everton midfield and back-line. £13m seems a bit of a snip at that price, when he's turning into a very astute central midfielder. He took his goal exceptionally early on, too. Stones was equally as brilliant - and what a header!

Martinez prepared you brilliantly - and it's something we haven't seen enough of this season. I'm sure this season marks a blip, and next year you'll challenge for the top seven once again, and today proved evidence you still have that quality. You executed your gameplan exceptionally, sitting in and defending well and blunting Mata. You were comfortable allowing United possession - which is a brave thing, given the way they've been playing - but you shut up shop and harassed them when they approached the final third.

The substitutions were shrewd, too. Mirallas stretched the lines and was vital in sealing the victory. Especially when you compare the changes with those of Wenger today, who arguably left it too late to try and change the game against Chelsea at the Emirates.

On another note: Lukaku - he seemed annoyed when Mirallas scored. The team comes first, Romelu. Celebrate and don't be a moody ****er.
Original post by Mackay
What a performance from McCarthy. He's had a disappointing season with injury, but when fit, he shows what an immense talent he is.

It's defensively where he impresses me most, and the solidity he brings to the Everton midfield and back-line. £13m seems a bit of a snip at that price, when he's turning into a very astute central midfielder. He took his goal exceptionally early on, too. Stones was equally as brilliant - and what a header!

Martinez prepared you brilliantly - and it's something we haven't seen enough of this season. I'm sure this season marks a blip, and next year you'll challenge for the top seven once again, and today proved evidence you still have that quality. You executed your gameplan exceptionally, sitting in and defending well and blunting Mata. You were comfortable allowing United possession - which is a brave thing, given the way they've been playing - but you shut up shop and harassed them when they approached the final third.

The substitutions were shrewd, too. Mirallas stretched the lines and was vital in sealing the victory. Especially when you compare the changes with those of Wenger today, who arguably left it too late to try and change the game against Chelsea at the Emirates.

On another note: Lukaku - he seemed annoyed when Mirallas scored. The team comes first, Romelu. Celebrate and don't be a moody ****er.

McCarthy is absolute quality. Should get more goals really, but that's 2 he's got in recent weeks.

Think it's just been a blip, and think we'll be back challenging for top 4/5/6 next season. Just don't have the squad depth to handle another competition.

Very good performance, definitely the best league performance this season.

And didn't see Lukaku after the Mirallas goal, too busy celebrating myself.
Baines missing for the rest of the season. No loss really, considering you've nothing to play for now.
Original post by Mackay
Baines missing for the rest of the season. No loss really, considering you've nothing to play for now.

The main downside might be that it would exaggerate or make more likely an imminent decline in his ability.

We have far too many positions in the squad where our players are not on the right side of 30.
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
The main downside might be that it would exaggerate or make more likely an imminent decline in his ability.

We have far too many positions in the squad where our players are not on the right side of 30.

Hopefully it means Bertrand is drafted into the England squad for the June friendly and Euro qualifier, though. Ridiculous how he was omitted last time, albeit he was brought in at a later date. He definitely deserves a cap after the year he has had.
Original post by Mackay
Hopefully it means Bertrand is drafted into the England squad for the June friendly and Euro qualifier, though. Ridiculous how he was omitted last time, albeit he was brought in at a later date. He definitely deserves a cap after the year he has had.

I agree. He has had a very good season. Much better than Baines or Shaw this season.

England always seem to rush to cap the wrong players early and ignore those players who've been performing well just because they aren't at a big team.
With Everton and West Ham both on course to qualify for the Europa League via the fair play table, it'll be interesting to see if there's a red card in the match this weekend.
Can't believe that Martinez hasn't played Garbutt instead of Baines. Seems to me Garbutt is off for a free, which leads me to question whether Martinez actually has a transfer policy or just doesn't care anymore. Seriously thought we would improve upon last season in September. What a flipping joke we've been.
Galloway's middle name is Zibusiso. All for him starting over Garbutt.

Quick Reply

Latest