The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ratchit99
Just tested this morning and got another posiive! Guess i need to book with my docs, and pray to god that if i get morning sickness its mild enough to get me through the last 4 weeks of placement.
do you think I should tell school and uni if i get really sick with it?

Oh wow, that's so exciting!!! So pleased for you. I wouldn't say anything unless you had to take a day or two off. You could be honest then. Just see how it goes. Considering you've only got four weeks left though, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats what i was thinking. If i really start to struggle I will say something, otherwise Ill try and crack on with things without them knowing :smile: also thank you, think my husband is more excited than me atm!!

I would suggest telling the school once you've had confirmation from the docs!
Is anyone doing a PGCE in Maths or Computer Science? If so can you explain a little more about either of them as I'm not sure what I would like to do... Which one would you recommend... Thanks in advance :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Samus2
I would suggest telling the school once you've had confirmation from the docs!

I think im going to see how i go, ive mentioned to the HoD before about wanting kids (im 30) so i think shed be fine if i told her id just found out. Its a department of women so i imagine will be quite supportive
I'm absolutely terrified for my interview tomorrow. I'm out on my boat at the moment to try and calm the nerves and then I'll hang out in the library tonight making sure everything is absolutely polished.

My pupils will have whiteboards. In a 20 minute lesson do you think they should be having a worksheet to put their answers on instead? I worry they won't have any hard evidence of my lesson and/or progress.
Original post by Lolpalolpalol
Is anyone doing a PGCE in Maths or Computer Science? If so can you explain a little more about either of them as I'm not sure what I would like to do...

They are both shortage subjects so finding work won't present much of a problem. Obviously maths jobs are particularly easy to come by as it is a core subject.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I'm absolutely terrified for my interview tomorrow. I'm out on my boat at the moment to try and calm the nerves and then I'll hang out in the library tonight making sure everything is absolutely polished.

My pupils will have whiteboards. In a 20 minute lesson do you think they should be having a worksheet to put their answers on instead? I worry they won't have any hard evidence of my lesson and/or progress.

Don't worry about having hard evidence. 20 mins is a very short lesson, I think whiteboards would work really well for that. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know what's happened to my organisation over the past couple of weeks but I used to be planned about a week in advance, and it's Sunday and I've not planned any of next week's lessons! Feeling so stressed out :/
Original post by Airfairy
I don't know what's happened to my organisation over the past couple of weeks but I used to be planned about a week in advance, and it's Sunday and I've not planned any of next week's lessons! Feeling so stressed out :/

:/ ive almost finished my lessons for tomorrow then need to go through and make sure all my paperwork is 100% sorted for my tutor visit tomorrow afternoon :frown: thats my sunday afternoon gone :frown:

Personally, I'd want a little something written in books from 20 minutes' work. Either an example question or a piece of information or a short opinion - something that only takes a couple of minutes but provides evidence of progress and something for pupils to refer back to.
I'm really starting to panic about tomorrow. It's not not getting it that I'm worried about, it's making an absolute embarrassment of myself. And structuring such a short lesson is a nightmare.

Original post by tory88
Personally, I'd want a little something written in books from 20 minutes' work. Either an example question or a piece of information or a short opinion - something that only takes a couple of minutes but provides evidence of progress and something for pupils to refer back to.

I'm thinking maybe a worksheet with spaces for answering the oral questions I ask? It'd be nice to have something solid alongside the other stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know this feeling! I like to be planned a week in advance too but I went away for the night on Friday and have had trouble getting back into it! I know what I am teaching but nothing apart from tomorrow is on uni format and I only have tomorrow's resources :frown:
I'm really starting to panic about tomorrow. It's not not getting it that I'm worried about, it's making an absolute embarrassment of myself. And structuring such a short lesson is a nightmare.

I'm thinking maybe a worksheet with spaces for answering the oral questions I ask? It'd be nice to have something solid alongside the other stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know what subject/topic you're teaching them, but I have usually had a worksheet in my interview lessons to leave them with something solid.

I teach languages and normally do some kind of starter worksheet involving matching up vocabulary items, which means they then have the key words in front of them for the rest of the lesson (as in a short lesson there's not enough time to go over them enough that they'll remember, so having a physical copy means they can access the rest of the lesson).

I always write it down as part of my differentiation, that pupils can use the worksheet for support throughout the lesson whilst more able pupils may be be able to do it without support (you could encourage them to turn the sheet over if they are able to).
How do you guys balance assignment and school work? I'm finding it real hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends massively on what and who you're teaching. It's really nice if the stater is a question that can be improved in the plenary, as that's cast-iron evidence of progress (or not). If you can do that, then that's all the writing you need.

If you read this before the interview... Stay calm and follow your own ethos with the interview. If you really like a technique, do it, if the school doesn't like it it's not the right place for you. Good luck!!!

Just tested this morning and got another posiive! Guess i need to book with my docs, and pray to god that if i get morning sickness its mild enough to get me through the last 4 weeks of placement.
do you think I should tell school and uni if i get really sick with it?

Congratulations!!! This thread is so exciting now!

Sorry to disappoint you all (and myself) but it didn't go that well. We didn't seem to have much in common and I found it really awkward - he didn't say much and I felt like I had to keep making the conversation and asking questions. He didn't ask me anything about myself. He looked uncomfortable too :dontknow: . I don't know if he was just really nervous or bad at dates because he always came across as interested at school and over text.

But...I am fine with it. It is quite clear from talking to him more that he is not my type. As nice as it is to flirt with him at school, when we were sat forced to have a convo it was dire :lol: .

Damnit, and it was gonna be so beautiful!!!

Original post by Red Lightning
Since you guys have been like my online family for this past year, I wanted to let you all know that I GOT A NQT JOB!!! I can't believe it, the competition was ruthless and to honest I did not think I would get it, but I did. It's an outstanding school too.

Thank you guys!

Congratulations!!!! Remind yourself that you got it because you are great :smile:

Original post by Sam89
Guys question please

Has anyone gone from working in the industry (with a good job) then pursuing a PGCE thinking it's not right for you and going back to industry?

Did you get comments like - what a waste of a year etc?

"But what about all those qualifications you got?!"
"But you love teaching!!"
"Don't give up!"

You have achieved something very tough, expanded your mind and learnt a lot of new things, gained new perspective on education and child development and contributed to help of improve the loves and educations of many children. If you want to do something else now then do it! You're allowed to try things and change your mind, especially if you get so much out of the trying.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got through first two bits. Now onto interview. I'm last so I'm swatting up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really enjoyed the interview and my feedback was good. Just waiting for the news now. I know that if I didn't get it it's because the other candidate was better and not because I didn't work my socks off for it.
Really enjoyed the interview and my feedback was good. Just waiting for the news now. I know that if I didn't get it it's because the other candidate was better and not because I didn't work my socks off for it.

Good luck!! Really hope you get it.
Original post by annaa2603
Hello. I'm a second year undergraduate studying biology. I'm hoping to go into teaching, particularly secondary Biology. However my A levels are poor, I have BCD in psychology, biology and chemistry respectively. Will my poor A-levels ruin my chances of going into secondary biology? I am predicted a first for my degree and I have about 4 months classroom experience.

I would definitely say it won't. As long as you have a good degree it will be fine - especially because there is apparently going to be a massive teacher shortage. You'll be fine!

Quick Reply

Latest