The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

Journalism: 2015-2018

Anybody else going on this course starting September? If so, let me tell you a bit about myself.

My name's Matt, I'm from Hednesford in Staffordshire, I'm an proud supporter of Walsall FC, and the area of journalism I'm interested in the most is the political side of it.

If you're doing single or combined honours, feel free to respond. What sort of journalism do you want to get into? Let me know!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by PokeCJG
Anybody else going on this course starting September? If so, let me tell you a bit about myself.

My name's Matt, I'm from Hednesford in Staffordshire, I'm an proud supporter of Walsall FC, and the area of journalism I'm interested in the most is the political side of it.

If you're doing single or combined honours, feel free to respond. What sort of journalism do you want to get into? Let me know!

Hello :smile:

I'm Becky and I'm doing a combined honours of History and Journalism. Really excited to start. Are you living in halls or commuting?
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Rsweeney
Hello :smile:

I'm Becky and I'm doing a combined honours of History and Journalism. Really excited to start. Are you living in halls or commuting?

Nice to meet you, Becky!

I'll be living in Halls, myself. Hopefully either John Milton Hall or Bache Hall. And history? Good choice! Loved doing it during GCSE and A-Levels.

Which campus will you be at? Chester or Warrington?
Reply 3
Hi everyone I'm Michael (or Mikey), I'm glad I found others who are doing journalism! I'm doing a combined honours with Drama and I've only recently gotten into Journalism and the area I want to find more about would definitely be the "darker" side of journalism if you get me? such as propaganda and scare tactics, oh! and of course satire. I'll be at the Chester campus also living in halls (however I'm a bit nervous because I've seen previous forums saying if you live less than 30 miles you don't get placed? Coming from Liverpool I'm not close but not far)
Reply 4
Original post by MikeyO96
Hi everyone I'm Michael (or Mikey), I'm glad I found others who are doing journalism! I'm doing a combined honours with Drama and I've only recently gotten into Journalism and the area I want to find more about would definitely be the "darker" side of journalism if you get me? such as propaganda and scare tactics, oh! and of course satire. I'll be at the Chester campus also living in halls (however I'm a bit nervous because I've seen previous forums saying if you live less than 30 miles you don't get placed? Coming from Liverpool I'm not close but not far)

Hey Mikey, I wouldn't worry too much about the accommodation situation. I think official policy is that those who live farthest away get the highest priority. However, I'm pretty sure that if Chester is your firm choice, then you're pretty much guaranteed accommodation if you desire it. Any ideas which halls you wanna reside in?

And yes, I'll be looking a bit at propaganda and scare tactics as well. Particularly when it comes to looking for the pitfalls in political journalism. I'm not sure whether to focus on reporting political activities, or being a columnist, since apparently I'm pretty good at giving an insight into issues. Especially when it comes to the NHS, which I will defend to the death!

I'll be the first to admit, political journalism is very cut-throat!
Reply 5
Original post by PokeCJG
Hey Mikey, I wouldn't worry too much about the accommodation situation. I think official policy is that those who live farthest away get the highest priority. However, I'm pretty sure that if Chester is your firm choice, then you're pretty much guaranteed accommodation if you desire it. Any ideas which halls you wanna reside in?

And yes, I'll be looking a bit at propaganda and scare tactics as well. Particularly when it comes to looking for the pitfalls in political journalism. I'm not sure whether to focus on reporting political activities, or being a columnist, since apparently I'm pretty good at giving an insight into issues. Especially when it comes to the NHS, which I will defend to the death!

I'll be the first to admit, political journalism is very cut-throat!

I'm hoping to get full board accomodation (mainly because I'm lazy and my culinary skills range from toast to birdseye waffles!), I like the look of Astbury and Fisher although I'm not too picky on which accommodation I get placed in as long as its got an en-suite. Is everyone looking forward to freshers?!
Reply 6
I'm hoping to get full board accomodation (mainly because I'm lazy and my culinary skills range from toast to birdseye waffles!), I like the look of Astbury and Fisher although I'm not too picky on which accommodation I get placed in as long as its got an en-suite. Is everyone looking forward to freshers?!

Yep, already looking at the two clubs: Rosies and Cruise. Plus, Chester Pride is coming on October 3rd & 4th, so that should keep me occupied as well!
Reply 7
Original post by PokeCJG
Yep, already looking at the two clubs: Rosies and Cruise. Plus, Chester Pride is coming on October 3rd & 4th, so that should keep me occupied as well!

Yeah your sorted then! The good part about Chester is it's only 45 minutes on train to Liverpool and the Liverpool nightlife is the best! (without sound biased)
Reply 8
Yeah your sorted then! The good part about Chester is it's only 45 minutes on train to Liverpool and the Liverpool nightlife is the best! (without sound biased)

Oh, of course! I'm already planning a detour to Liverpool during Freshers week. Got a few friends who are going to the University of Liverpool and John Moores. Hell, Manchester isn't that far away, and that's got pretty good nightlife apparently!
Original post by PokeCJG

I'm doing creative writing combined with journalism !
Reply 10
Hi, I'm Steph, 19. I'll be studying Music Journalism!
So will probably meet you all during the first year some time :smile:
Reply 11
Also, what accommodation are any you guys in? Just confirmed my spot at Tramways!
Reply 12
Haven't had any emails about accommodation yet :frown: Should know within a week or so apparently though!
I've decided to commute from Liverpool because they gave me Sumner (I wanted full board just not Sumner!), the cost would mean I wouldn't have enough per week to fully enjoy uni life. Commuting meant I had A LOT more to spend and enjoy myself after everything had been paid. So yeah look out for me on freshers! Oh and congrats everyone for getting in :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest