The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by _Caz_
I'm pretty sure it's on the formula sheet along with stuff like the distance 1AU in metres and that 1pc is 3.26ly etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yes, Lau14 also pointed that one out - foolish of me not to look before asking really!

How's your revision going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 521
Original post by CD223
Ah yes, Lau14 also pointed that one out - foolish of me not to look before asking really!

How's your revision going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh sorry - I should have checked before clogging up the thread.

Revision is going okayish. Unit 5 seems to be doing better than unit 4 at the moment - I run out of time on the unit 4 paper so I need to do some more practice on those.
How is revision going for you at the moment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 522
Original post by _Caz_
Oh sorry - I should have checked before clogging up the thread.

Revision is going okayish. Unit 5 seems to be doing better than unit 4 at the moment - I run out of time on the unit 4 paper so I need to do some more practice on those.
How is revision going for you at the moment?

No honestly it's fine! I should have checked the data sheet in the first place aha!

Oh right! I'm sure you'll be able to sort out timing issues before the real thing, dont worry :smile:.

Revision is going alright I suppose - I've focused more on content than past papers recently so this week in gonna properly start looking at past paper questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 523
Original post by CD223
By lens calculations do you mean using that specific equation (1/f=...), or just the whole topic to do with magnification, power, collecting areas etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The whole topic, I can answer questions where it asks you to explain things but it's the calculations (esp. the wording of some of the questions I find the hardest)
Reply 524
Original post by TheRAG
The whole topic, I can answer questions where it asks you to explain things but it's the calculations (esp. the wording of some of the questions I find the hardest)

I can sympathise. The whole exam is really specific. Out of interest, do you think flash cards may help? Might make some using my notes

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone else doing the applied physics option?
Reply 526
Original post by CD223
No honestly it's fine! I should have checked the data sheet in the first place aha!

Oh right! I'm sure you'll be able to sort out timing issues before the real thing, dont worry :smile:.

Revision is going alright I suppose - I've focused more on content than past papers recently so this week in gonna properly start looking at past paper questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel like judging when to start past papers is probably one of the hardest parts of revision haha. Especially when there isn't a great amount of past papers to be going at. Good luck when you do start them - the first past paper you do is always the worst one. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 527
Original post by CD223
I can sympathise. The whole exam is really specific. Out of interest, do you think flash cards may help? Might make some using my notes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have your astro ones up yet? (I can't find them)
Reply 528
Original post by CD223
That makes sense! They were really hard if I'm honest. Not sure if that's because I didn't do the part As for them or what. It just was difficult to comprehend what the questions asked.

I'm desperate for at least a C this year lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably a mix, you do get some weird questions but they are easier to understand with the practical tasks! I feel like task two went pretty well, so sick of messages about the EMPA though (half the time for subjects I don't even do???).

I just want anywhere above half UMS. Obviously the higher the better, but I'll be happy with anything that makes an A* physically possible!
Reply 529
Original post by _Caz_
I feel like judging when to start past papers is probably one of the hardest parts of revision haha. Especially when there isn't a great amount of past papers to be going at. Good luck when you do start them - the first past paper you do is always the worst one. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah thanks! Will do my first proper papers this week - what sort of scores were you getting when you started off?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 530
Original post by TheRAG
Do you have your astro ones up yet? (I can't find them)

No as I've not finished the syllabus. Still got 3 more lessons to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 531
Original post by Lau14
Probably a mix, you do get some weird questions but they are easier to understand with the practical tasks! I feel like task two went pretty well, so sick of messages about the EMPA though (half the time for subjects I don't even do???).

I just want anywhere above half UMS. Obviously the higher the better, but I'll be happy with anything that makes an A* physically possible!

I agree! So many people messaging me about the EMPA. I've had 6 messages just today!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 532
Original post by CD223
I agree! So many people messaging me about the EMPA. I've had 6 messages just today!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I keep getting piles and piles of them? It's so annoying :/
Just had a PHYA5D mock today and the paper was the Jun14 one. It isn't too bad of a paper, pretty standard really. But they have reworded standard questions slightly to try and trick people I had noticed.
Reply 534
Original post by CD223
Ah thanks! Will do my first proper papers this week - what sort of scores were you getting when you started off?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For physics 5? It varies really. Sometimes as good as 65/75 sometimes 51/75. To start with I did one paper not timed just to get used to the style of questions and stuff. You've got to tackle it in a way that works for you really. :smile: good luck
Reply 535
Original post by Protoxylic
Just had a PHYA5D mock today and the paper was the Jun14 one. It isn't too bad of a paper, pretty standard really. But they have reworded standard questions slightly to try and trick people I had noticed.

How did you find the first part (nuclear and thermal) relative to previous years?
Reply 536
Original post by Lau14
Yeah I keep getting piles and piles of them? It's so annoying :/

It is annoying - I don't understand why people can't guess from the thread that I'm not a supporter of online cheating... it's only gonna get the thread locked or shut down :rolleyes:
Reply 537
Original post by _Caz_
For physics 5? It varies really. Sometimes as good as 65/75 sometimes 51/75. To start with I did one paper not timed just to get used to the style of questions and stuff. You've got to tackle it in a way that works for you really. :smile: good luck

I think I'll start off without timing - it'll only add stress!
Reply 538
Original post by CD223
It is annoying - I don't understand why people can't guess from the thread that I'm not a supporter of online cheating... it's only gonna get the thread locked or shut down :rolleyes:

Yeah they don't seem to think things through :/ ah well, it'll be over soon! I don't get why there's not a set date for the written paper though to be honest, that would cut down on cheating massively?
Original post by CD223
How did you find the first part (nuclear and thermal) relative to previous years?

The first question

Spoiler

was presented differently and so I presume people will trip up on that. The thermal was pretty standard, although one of the questions required that you take into account the copper can (if you have done the paper, you'll get what I mean :P ). Other than that, it's slightly harder than average, reflected by the grade boundaries being significantly lower than average.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending