The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by enaayrah
Ah, thanks :smile: what you said is definitely true, 'what ifs' can be very crappy

From what I saw of the 2015 stats, MML at Newnham (of course), they had 6 applicants including both direct and open, and they gave all six an offer, plus another 3 from the pool. Playing a game with the statistics is just not worth it.
Original post by jneill
Its opposite the West Cambridge site. And especially close to the Maths dept.

As I mentioned above it was founded because Winston Churchill was impressed by MIT, hence the strength in sciences. But it is keen not to be seen as a pure STEM-only college, so humanities students are very welcomed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok ahh sorry didn't see it earlier. That makes a lot of sense then, I didn't know much about it previously other than Churchill founded it but that's interesting to know, will definitely check it out on the open day :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paralove
From what I saw of the 2015 stats, MML at Newnham (of course), they had 6 applicants including both direct and open, and they gave all six an offer, plus another 3 from the pool. Playing a game with the statistics is just not worth it.

That's quite reassuring. Thank you :smile:
I don't know, I like it, it just feels like the place for me. On the other hand though, Newnham had like 40% or something.

Playing around with stats to see your chances is something to do, but the way I see it, if I'm destined to get an offer I will, if not, then eh.

Quite disheartened though haha. My confidence levels are starting to decline

Aw no don't feel like that! It's only April, you have so much time to perfect and smash these exams, don't worry about what others are going to do because you're not in control of them. You can easily be the 18% if you do the best you can and forget about the competition, just believe in yourself :smile:

Heck, at least if you don't get an offer at Cambridge I'm sure you'll easily get offers somewhere at another great uni! I'm very worried about not getting any offers from any of my unis but I just got to keep ploughing on and what happens happens I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nurav11
Aw no don't feel like that! It's only April, you have so much time to perfect and smash these exams, don't worry about what others are going to do because you're not in control of them. You can easily be the 18% if you do the best you can and forget about the competition, just believe in yourself :smile:

Heck, at least if you don't get an offer at Cambridge I'm sure you'll easily get offers somewhere at another great uni! I'm very worried about not getting any offers from any of my unis but I just got to keep ploughing on and what happens happens I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're applying for medicine it is much harder to get places in general. Good luck to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
If you're applying for medicine it is much harder to get places in general. Good luck to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks very much :smile: and best of luck to you too in your application. I'll try not to depress everyone here by complaining 'how competitive medicine is' :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nurav11

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah you don't worry, you'll get in :wink:
Original post by nurav11
Thanks very much :smile: and best of luck to you too in your application. I'll try not to depress everyone here by complaining 'how competitive medicine is' :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know full well how competitive it is as my best friend is applying for medicine next year. I feel sorry for medicine applicants having to take bmat ukcat and also have interviews everywhere. Not to mention that there are at least twice the number of applicants per place. Hope it all goes well for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Christ's Natsci offers was in line with prior years... so most of your army of enthusiastic applicants didn't get an offer. :frown:

Oh woah
Christ's had a very low proportion of offer holders for NatSci

Idk if I should feel proud or guilty and unworthy lmao
Original post by jneill
It's a good college :smile:

(But yes... I'm sure he'll be along in a minute, but when the 2015 Stats were first released showing how many applicants had jumped to Christ's it caused him to panic a bit!)

Yeah I panicked a bit. Thought I was done for after the spike and the quality of applicants I'd seen!

I think it's kind of proof though not to be put off, I was never one of those amazing people with top marks near 100% and playing sports and instruments at insanely high levels. Just an average Joe
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Oh woah

Idk if I should feel proud or guilty and unworthy lmao

Yeah I panicked a bit. Thought I was done for after the spike and the quality of applicants I'd seen!

I think it's kind of proof though not to be put off, I was never one of those amazing people with top marks near 100% and playing sports and instruments at insanely high levels. Just an average Joe

Be proud :smile: you've done it for all us average Joes haha and are someone we should look up to.

So...
What's your secret?
(edited 8 years ago)
Be proud :smile: you've done it for all us average Joes haha, someone we should look up to

Wahoo you can do it do with kandoo

My role model (?) lol
Just an average Joe yay :five:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wahoo you can do it do with kandoo

Wow, that advert brings back so many memories :eek:

And was that your secret into getting in? :wink:
Nah you don't worry, you'll get in :wink:

Haha thanks, yeh I really hope so.

I know full well how competitive it is as my best friend is applying for medicine next year. I feel sorry for medicine applicants having to take bmat ukcat and also have interviews everywhere. Not to mention that there are at least twice the number of applicants per place. Hope it all goes well for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep exactly, at least this is where TSR really helps out cos I found one guy on here willing to sell his bmat, UKCAT and interview books for a great price and now I'll be going off to collect it pretty soon :biggrin:. It's all true... I must be crazy going for it lol but cheers and same to you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
My role model (?) lol
Just an average Joe yay :five:

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I say average it's a relative term. Probably above average in school, but on a wider scale

Such an average Joe, I got a C in a mock this week :mmm:
Wow, that advert brings back so many memories :eek:

And was that your secret into getting in? :wink:

Of course, just fluttered my wipes around

I think you're not giving yourself enough credit here aha, but definitely be proud, well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
When I say average it's a relative term. Probably above average in school, but on a wider scale

Yeah yeah I know lol

Haha which unit was that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Should probably stop revising now done 7 maths papers in last 2 days

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course, just fluttered my wipes around

Knew it
Should probably stop revising now done 7 maths papers in last 2 days

Posted from TSR Mobile

FP1 test/mock sort of thing tomorrow, finally feeling ready.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending