The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

Spent about 3 or 4 hours doing a piece of revision which should have only taken like an hour or so. Still, guess it's good I got it done. :smile:
Finally got a job interview! Its for part time work at my local B&Q so I can still do my voluntary work. Nervous already! Never been to a job interview before :eek:
idk if i'm even ready for uni. i'm so excited for the moving out part and meeting new people but i'm unsure about my course and the fact that i'm unsure now before even starting i feel is a bad sign, but I do enjoy the subject its just my own self-doubt thats dragging me down. im on my final major project on my btec college course rn which is feel is closer to uni level work and im having a horrible time doing it, ive spent too many nights crying and hurting myself stressing out that im so far behind. if im like this now what will i be like at uni?
i doubt my ability despite my tutors telling me im good and getting offers from some great unis, i feel like the whole thing is a fluke
idk how to just get on with it, because im currently too scared to do work because i think itll be awful and then it makes me further behind :frown:
what is the point in anything.
Original post by ScaryScience
what is the point in anything.

:jumphug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moment of truth
Spent about 3 or 4 hours doing a piece of revision which should have only taken like an hour or so. Still, guess it's good I got it done. :smile:

Well done!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by strawberrysnow

Thank you :smile: how are you doing?
Original post by Pathway
Got a 65 in the coursework test I thought I had failed! :eek: My average (not weighted, but whatever) is still 70 so I'm happy with that. :u:

I WAS ALLOWED TO REP YOU!!!!! :gah:

Congratulations :jive: So proud of you! :h:
I've had severe depression for the last few years, thinking of seeing my GP.

Advice?
Original post by Anonymous

Advice?

If you struggle to be able to explain, talk, you could always write down what you feel and hand it to your GP.

Sorry, anon, I would be more help, but I'm not doing too good today and I'm very tired. But, always know that we will all support on here. We're a friendly bunch all helping each other!
Original post by moment of truth
Thank you :smile: how are you doing?

Okayish - I had an awful day yesterday because this stupid, rude idiot was bothering me, but I'm feeling much better now (mainly because my Young Enterprise group just won the Regional Young Enterprise Competition today! :biggrin:)

I'm still feeling kinda annoyed from yesterday's incident with the idiot, but I'm getting over it :smile:

I have my Biology practical retake tomorrow so I'm worried about that ><

How are you? :smile:

Advice?

Be honest with how your feeling.

Write things down to either prompt you or to just hand over.

Dont be afraid to cry.

Remember its not a quick fix so dont give up before giving it a good try.

And be proud of yourself!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
:sigh:
Ive got so much help from people and been given so many opportunities and support and I still haven't been able to make myself function. feel incredibly ungrateful and a burden complete waste of time and resources. :cry2: Stupid fecking eejit and dont know what to do. :cry2:
Original post by sherbet_lemons7
:sigh:
Ive got so much help from people and been given so many opportunities and support and I still haven't been able to make myself function. feel incredibly ungrateful and a burden complete waste of time and resources. :cry2: Stupid fecking eejit and dont know what to do. :cry2:

Your not a burden at all hun!
Your ill, sometimes you will get worse but you dont need to feel bad, thats when you need to reach out for support more hun

:lovehug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CescaD96
If you struggle to be able to explain, talk, you could always write down what you feel and hand it to your GP.

Sorry, anon, I would be more help, but I'm not doing too good today and I'm very tired. But, always know that we will all support on here. We're a friendly bunch all helping each other!

That's actually a good idea thanks :smile: But would they throw it away afterwards or what?

My (abusive) family also visits the same GP. I'm scared of stuff not being entirely confidential.

PandaWho
Be honest with how your feeling.

Write things down to either prompt you or to just hand over.

Dont be afraid to cry.

Remember its not a quick fix so dont give up before giving it a good try.

And be proud of yourself!!

Thanks.. what if they're not supportive/judge me though?

What will come of it, will they refer me to counselling or something?

That's actually a good idea thanks :smile: But would they throw it away afterwards or what?

My (abusive) family also visits the same GP. I'm scared of stuff not being entirely confidential.

You could ask for it back so that they wouldn't.

Are you 18 or older? Because they can't tell your family due to confidential rules. I'm 18 and I had to tell my daddy myself that I had been referred to the cmht.

You could ask for it back to dispose of yourself.

not sure how old you are but you could talk to the doctor about confidentiality before you mention depression to see what the policy is (it depends on your age).

Depending on the severity of your depression, your age, and your own individual preferences they can do a few things. Counseling might be on the table if that's what you want - bear in mind "counseling" is simply you talking and the other person listening, they don't offer advice as such. You could try asking for CBT (Cognitive behavioral therapy) which is more of a two way process than counseling. Your doctor might also offer you antidepressants, these can take several weeks to kick in and sometimes have side effects (particularly at the start), but it's up to you.

I hope it goes well for you :smile:

If they break confidentiality then they can be in ALOT of trouble if you wernt aware and you arnt at risk of seriously hurting yourself or others.

All the drs iv spoken to about MH have been massively supportive, and thats at 3 different surgeries. Iv come across 1 rubbish GP but that was more complex MH related.
If you feel they havnt listened you are with in your rights to see another GP at the surgery. Some GPs are more knowledgable in MH than others, but generally with depression they are all sympathetic and helpful.

They will generally get you to do a quick questionnaire (google PQ-9 i think it is) to see how bad things are, then they will discuss treatment wether thats CBT, counselling, or depending on age and how bad things are, you may be offered medication.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IDukem
I WAS ALLOWED TO REP YOU!!!!! :gah:

Congratulations :jive: So proud of you! :h:

Thank you!!!!

I was so surprised. :eek: How're you?
Original post by CescaD96
You could ask for it back so that they wouldn't.

Are you 18 or older? Because they can't tell your family due to confidential rules. I'm 18 and I had to tell my daddy myself that I had been referred to the cmht.

I'll do that :smile: Yep.

thanks again

Sabertooth
You could ask for it back to dispose of yourself.

not sure how old you are but you could talk to the doctor about confidentiality before you mention depression to see what the policy is (it depends on your age).

Thanks. I'm 21.

Depending on the severity of your depression, your age, and your own individual preferences they can do a few things. Counseling might be on the table if that's what you want - bear in mind "counseling" is simply you talking and the other person listening, they don't offer advice as such. You could try asking for CBT (Cognitive behavioral therapy) which is more of a two way process than counseling. Your doctor might also offer you antidepressants, these can take several weeks to kick in and sometimes have side effects (particularly at the start), but it's up to you.

I hope it goes well for you :smile:

Thanks very much :smile:. I really don't want to be on medication TBH, I might ask for CBT. How long will I have to wait for before seeing a counsellor or something?

PandaWho
If they break confidentiality then they can be in ALOT of trouble if you wernt aware and you arnt at risk of seriously hurting yourself or others.

All the drs iv spoken to about MH have been massively supportive, and thats at 3 different surgeries. Iv come across 1 rubbish GP but that was more complex MH related.
If you feel they havnt listened you are with in your rights to see another GP at the surgery. Some GPs are more knowledgable in MH than others, but generally with depression they are all sympathetic and helpful.

They will generally get you to do a quick questionnaire (google PQ-9 i think it is) to see how bad things are, then they will discuss treatment wether thats CBT, counselling, or depending on age and how bad things are, you may be offered medication.

Thanks :smile:. It's good to know about the questionnaire beforehand, thank you. Do I have much choice as to what I get offered? Again I don't want to go on medication. It is very serious though.

Latest