The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

I would. It is expected that every lesson has learning intentions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
Question: do you have to display lesson objectives for an interview lesson? Sounds like a stupid question but I never do at the moment because my mentor and I both hate them, but don't know if it is the done thing?

Depends on the school - for both my interview lessons I didn't use a powerpoint and explained what the title was and why we had that title/what we would be working towards.
Original post by chloedoble
Hey! Being people who are on a School's Direct programme- I am starting mine in September, and I was wondering how things go in terms of funding. I'm on a non-salaried programme for Secondary PE. I am aware i'm not eligible for any grants, however, is funding from SFE the same as it was in undergrad study? In terms of maintenance loans and grants etc? How have you all funded your School's Direct programmes? I am living away from home so worried about finance!!

Any help would be massively appreciated!
Thank you :smile:

Student finance works in the same way :smile:
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I'd say it's unlikely that they'd involve the kids for an NQT job.

'Safer recruitment' requires a student panel as part of any interview. Supposedly you can spot those with predatory tendencies by simply watching them interact with the students for a few minutes.
Original post by Mr M
'Safer recruitment' requires a student panel as part of any interview. Supposedly you can spot those with predatory tendencies by simply watching them interact with the students for a few minutes.

Really? Is that a state school thing? Not heard of it, nor has Spouse, who is a state school teacher. Is it not covered by watching them teach? Bonkers.
Really? Is that a state school thing? Not heard of it, nor has Spouse, who is a state school teacher. Is it not covered by watching them teach? Bonkers.

On any interview panel there should be someone who is trained in 'safer recruitment'. The previous national course has recently been replaced by one from the NSPCC but the pupil panel thing appears in that one too. Interaction in a panel interview may be different from a lesson.
(edited 8 years ago)
Question: do you have to display lesson objectives for an interview lesson? Sounds like a stupid question but I never do at the moment because my mentor and I both hate them, but don't know if it is the done thing?

I would, and return to them at the end to check them off and show pupils have made progress towards them.

I have previously had a few mini objectives so that if I've not got through all of them (due to interview lessons being really short and time management being tricky due to the unknown) I can show we've met the first ones even if we haven't met all of them (so they can't say the lesson was a failure as it didn't meet the objective it set out to).
Original post by Mr M
On any interview panel there should be someone who is trained in 'safer recruitment'. The previous national course has recently been replaced by one from the NSPCC but the pupil panel thing appears in that one too. Interaction in a panel interview may be different from a lesson.

Well, our folks are stuffed to the gills with safeguarding to the point where teaching seems almost a minor issue, but clearly we aren't obeying the law on this and neither is Spouse.
Well, our folks are stuffed to the gills with safeguarding to the point where teaching seems almost a minor issue, but clearly we aren't obeying the law on this and neither is Spouse.

It isn't the law - it is advice but Ofsted would expect to see it in a safeguarding policy.
Original post by Mr M
It isn't the law - it is advice but Ofsted would expect to see it in a safeguarding policy.

Well, not my problem, fortunately! Yay!
I'm due to start taking my mentor's year 10 class tomorrow...would it be frowned upon for me to email her and ask if I can start next week? I literally don't think there is enough time tonight for me to plan the lesson as I've been planning my interview lesson. I guess it depends on your mentor. I just don't think I'm going to be able to plan it, so if I do teach it it will be me making it up on the spot.

What would your mentors be like if you asked that?
Original post by Samus2
Depends on the school - for both my interview lessons I didn't use a powerpoint and explained what the title was and why we had that title/what we would be working towards.

Original post by myrtille
I would, and return to them at the end to check them off and show pupils have made progress towards them.

I have previously had a few mini objectives so that if I've not got through all of them (due to interview lessons being really short and time management being tricky due to the unknown) I can show we've met the first ones even if we haven't met all of them (so they can't say the lesson was a failure as it didn't meet the objective it set out to).

Thanks for the replies. I will put some down then. Better safe than sorry.
I observed a lesson today as a training activity and was given the grading criteria for good and outstanding etc. One of the criteria for 'inadequate' was 'learning objectives are not on display'. I don't like them either and I certainly don't like that silly grading system but you may as well not risk it!
Original post by bonniex123
I observed a lesson today as a training activity and was given the grading criteria for good and outstanding etc. One of the criteria for 'inadequate' was 'learning objectives are not on display'. I don't like them either and I certainly don't like that silly grading system but you may as well not risk it!

Yeah I'll display them. I never get marked down on it at school because my mentor never displays them either. As long as I have some on my lesson plan it is fine. But I may as well stick them on a slide just so they are there and the box is ticked!
I'm due to start taking my mentor's year 10 class tomorrow...would it be frowned upon for me to email her and ask if I can start next week? I literally don't think there is enough time tonight for me to plan the lesson as I've been planning my interview lesson. I guess it depends on your mentor. I just don't think I'm going to be able to plan it, so if I do teach it it will be me making it up on the spot.

What would your mentors be like if you asked that?

My mentor wouldn't mind, providing that he had enough time to plan the lesson... leaving it till now might be a bit late.
Original post by Samus2
My mentor wouldn't mind, providing that he had enough time to plan the lesson... leaving it till now might be a bit late.

Damn it :lol: I may ask her before the lesson if she wouldn't mind team teaching it with me.
I have to do a presentation on the needs of modern day sixth form students for about five mins. I am completely unsure what format a presentation is. Am I allowed to read off something or should it be all from my head? So many questions about this interview!
I have to do a presentation on the needs of modern day sixth form students for about five mins. I am completely unsure what format a presentation is. Am I allowed to read off something or should it be all from my head? So many questions about this interview!

A powerpoint for visual clues would be okay - but obviously use it as a prompt rather than reading from it. As it's only five minutes, I wouldn't bother with a ppt
I have my first interview on Thursday for a job I desperately want. A lot on here seem to have had interviews - what are some basic tips? I'm worried my nerves will get the better of me. I know I can do this and I've planned a bad ass lesson but my nerves could ruin it all.
Original post by Samus2
A powerpoint for visual clues would be okay - but obviously use it as a prompt rather than reading from it. As it's only five minutes, I wouldn't bother with a ppt

Thanks. Yeah I didn't really want to do a powerpoint so I'll try and do it off memory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have my first interview on Thursday for a job I desperately want. A lot on here seem to have had interviews - what are some basic tips? I'm worried my nerves will get the better of me. I know I can do this and I've planned a bad ass lesson but my nerves could ruin it all.

Thanks. Yeah I didn't really want to do a powerpoint so I'll try and do it off memory.

Posted from TSR Mobile

School's will know that you're going to be nervous - an interview is a nervous situation! The most important thing is that you're able to be reflective IMO. If a lesson doesn't go to plan and you know why it didn't go to plan and you can think of how you can improve it - that's good!

Also, you could teach an outstanding lesson but you just might not be the right person for the job - that's the reason I didn't get the first position I interviewed for.

Be yourself, be friendly and be prepared to talk about new challenges (ie, new a-levels and new GCSE's).

Don't just blindly start answering a question with anything that comes to mind. Take a few seconds to think about what you're going to say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just be yourself. they'll know you're going to be stressed out and a little bit nervous so just go with it, have fun and make sure you get who you are over to them. make sure you absolutely mention any 'value-added' stuff. The want somebody who doesn't just teach but can support the school's ethos and extra-curriculars.

Treat it as though you're the only candidate suitable for them and make sure you really just go through it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending