The Student Room Group

Northern Ireland Assembly rejects gay marriage for the fourth time

'BBC News'
The Northern Ireland Assembly has rejected a proposal calling for the introduction of gay marriage, after debating the issue for a fourth time.

A total of 96 MLAs took part in the vote and 49 voted against the Sinn Féin motion calling for civil marriage equality for all, with 47 in favour.

Sinn Féin, SDLP and five Alliance MLAs supported the motion. The DUP opposed it and the Ulster Unionists were given a free vote on the issue.
Of 53 unionists, only four voted yes.

Ahead of the vote, a petition of concern was tabled, meaning the motion would require cross-community support from both unionists and nationalists to succeed. However, it did not come into play.

The health minster issued a public apology on Friday, after he was recorded on camera making comments linking gay relationships and child abuse.

Mr Wells then announced his resignation on Monday, after it was confirmed that police are also investigating an incident involving a lesbian couple during a door-to-door election canvas by Mr Wells in County Down.

SDLP MLA Colum Eastwood said: "We need to, as an assembly, as people in positions of power and responsibility, we need to be seen to be embracing all members of our community - all members of our community.

He added: "There is no reason whatsoever, Mr Speaker, why the north of Ireland should be the only place on these islands that doesn't have marriage available to same sex couples."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-northern-ireland-32488247

A disappointing outcome for the Northern Irish people. I wonder how representative the Assembly members are of their constituents.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The 1950s called, they want their domestic policy back.
Long Live Ulster. Their civil and religious liberties must be maintained.
Original post by whorace

Just because England does it doesn't mean Ulster should.
Well, large parts of NI are still fairly terrible places to live compared to the rest of the Isles. Racism and homophobia are fairly rife.

It isn't really surprising since it has been the scene of so much conflict in the recent past. When you encourage idiotic attitudes then this is the consequence.
Original post by Reluire
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-northern-ireland-32488247

A disappointing outcome for the Northern Irish people. I wonder how representative the Assembly members are of their constituents.

Probably very representative and very aware of their constitiuents opinions and viewpoints.
Original post by whorace

The 1930s tried to call you. It asked you to try and push non democratic policies .
Original post by whorace

Original post by MatureStudent36
The 1930s tried to call you. It asked you to try and push non democratic policies .

Hmmm. On one hand, I hate bigotry. On the other hand I hate fascism.

But which do I hate more? Only one way to find out.....................
Reply 8
Original post by KimKallstrom
Hmmm. On one hand, I hate bigotry. On the other hand I hate fascism.

But which do I hate more? Only one way to find out.....................

FIGHT!!!

I'd imagine the fascist would win, having more expertise.
A sad indictment for the SDLP and Alliance, who, despite claiming to be progressive, could have swung the vote to yes had they voted for it.
Original post by That Bearded Man
A sad indictment for the SDLP and Alliance, who, despite claiming to be progressive, could have swung the vote to yes had they voted for it.

What's Sinn Feins take on it?
Reply 11
What's Sinn Feins take on it?

Sinn Fein were the ones who put the proposal forward.
Reply 12
I'm disappointed in Northern Ireland once more.
The outcome does not surprise me, only the narrowness of the rejection. I would have expected all the Unionists to vote against it, and some of the SDLP or Sinn Fein members to have illnesses or other reasons to be absent.
Original post by CescaD96
Sinn Fein were the ones who put the proposal forward.

That's surprising. Sinn Fein is normally the most backward looking of Northern Irish politics.
Reply 15
That's surprising. Sinn Fein is normally the most backward looking of Northern Irish politics.

It's not actually. Sinn Fein, the SDLP and Alliance are all for equality. In fact, SF aren't as backwards as people think.
Original post by Reluire
I wonder how representative the Assembly members are of their constituents.

Out of the 6 MLA's in my constituency (1 Alliance, 3 DUP, 1 UUP, 1 Sinn Féin) only two voted for marriage equality (Alliance and SF). The vast majority of people that I know (except the radical Christians) support gay rights, so our MLA's don't really represent the views of the people. The reason for this is, of course, due to the pro-Christian attitude of the DUP and the fact that both Unionist parties don't want to agree with Sinn Féin.
Reply 17
Original post by a320airbus97
The reason for this is, of course, due to the pro-Christian attitude of the DUP and the fact that both Unionist parties don't want to agree with Sinn Féin.

That is so right.
Original post by a320airbus97
Out of the 6 MLA's in my constituency (1 Alliance, 3 DUP, 1 UUP, 1 Sinn Féin) only two voted for marriage equality (Alliance and SF). The vast majority of people that I know (except the radical Christians) support gay rights, so our MLA's don't really represent the views of the people. The reason for this is, of course, due to the pro-Christian attitude of the DUP and the fact that both Unionist parties don't want to agree with Sinn Féin.

This
Democracy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending