The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnnekaChan173
One does not simply "learn all the content" for unit 5 :rofl:. Way too much of it, there'll always be something you forget. Depends on how good you are at Bio tbh? It's still early, though. What have you been averaging so far? (Generally)

haha that so true!
Well i'd say about 65-75% :s-smilie: But i think if i took f214 tomorrow i could get a B. But for f215? Well in class we've only covered 2 modules that i don't know too well and i'm hoping go through and try memorise most of the ecosystem module and the last module within the next wk.

In AS i got an A for bio by a few UMS, i left revision a few wks before my exams last yr...you'd think i'd learn frm last yr, i onl'y started revsing frm last weekend.

Yeh the exam may be 1 and half months away but there's too many exams...:sigh:

When did you start revising?
What grades you hoping for?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
I'd say so but you'd really need to focus and do the work necessary. I've only done one past paper but got 60 and there's still over a month and a half til this exam - you have time

Oh nice, by a months time you should be in the 80-100% range :smile:

I left revision a few wks before my exams last yr, in AS i got an A for bio by a few UMS...you'd think i'd learn frm last yr, i on'y started revising frm last weekend.

Yeh the exam may be 1 and half months away but there's too many exams...

When did you start revising? What grades do you need/hoping for? I need AAB minimum :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
anyone got any good notes for both units please :frown:
Reply 503
I think it was 46/7, I remember I was close ish. Unit 5 is tricky let's not lie

I got exactly 46, hopefully can secure an A* in the real thing. How did the mock go?
Reply 504
Original post by bakedbeans247
anyone think its possible to get an A for F215 with only having done a couple of past papers? As long as you know all the content that is.

I don't understand why you can't just do all of them?
Original post by games211
anyone got any good notes for both units please :frown:

Oh yea :biggrin:
These are great pdf notes: https://a2biology101.wordpress.com/downloads/

There are some awesome pdf files that go through the whole spec, pretty useful: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1296764
Oh yea :biggrin:
These are great pdf notes: https://a2biology101.wordpress.com/downloads/

There are some awesome pdf files that go through the whole spec, pretty useful: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1296764

lol saw those too.. thanks is that what u are using atm?
Original post by games211
lol saw those too.. thanks is that what u are using atm?

ah right haha, yh they're gd, well i do also use some youtube vids, these guys are great:

MrBioTom1: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrBioTom1/playlists

and NottsAS: https://www.youtube.com/user/NottsAST/playlists

:biggrin: i also use the ocr student book and a CGP version alongside. But yh, this pretty much all i'm using. Mrbiotom1 is basically the textbook in video/audio form by a student; sometimes he does explain a bit mre than the bk tho.
Oh nice, by a months time you should be in the 80-100% range :smile:

I left revision a few wks before my exams last yr, in AS i got an A for bio by a few UMS...you'd think i'd learn frm last yr, i on'y started revising frm last weekend.

Yeh the exam may be 1 and half months away but there's too many exams...

When did you start revising? What grades do you need/hoping for? I need AAB minimum :s-smilie:

I actually got a mid C last year in biology. I prioritisedbiolgy the least and had all nighters before the exams which weren't enough. I got a C and D in unit 1 and 2 respectively. So I'm doing resits for some maths further maths modules and unit 1amd 2 but im glad I am because unit 1 and 2 seem much easier now and I'm confident I'll get high Bs or an A in both.

Revision this year has been ongoing. I spent time in particular making sure I was on top on things so unit4 and 5 don't seem so daunting right now but I plan on doing either a unit 4 or 5 paper every other day from now on whilst trying to memorise my notes, of course

I need AAB minimum for York.
Anyone explain linkage to me? and an example of linkage? thankyou!
haha that so true!
Well i'd say about 65-75% :s-smilie: But i think if i took f214 tomorrow i could get a B. But for f215? Well in class we've only covered 2 modules that i don't know too well and i'm hoping go through and try memorise most of the ecosystem module and the last module within the next wk.

In AS i got an A for bio by a few UMS, i left revision a few wks before my exams last yr...you'd think i'd learn frm last yr, i onl'y started revsing frm last weekend.

Yeh the exam may be 1 and half months away but there's too many exams...:sigh:

When did you start revising?
What grades you hoping for?

That's alright! I started at a similar time last year and somehow I turned out ok! If you're getting 65-75, you sound like you have a good grasp of the big concepts and might just need to work on exam technique. Looking at mark schemes and examiners reports to see what they want exactly etc etc. Ecosystems isn't hard to learn on your own, if I were you I would try to learn that Asap. Sooner you learn it all, sooner you can do practice questions and papers.

I got an A too last year, good UMS exam wise (somewhere around 90ish) but my coursework was a trainwreck, so I got a mid A. To remedy that, I started revising much earlier (February, very casually) and I'm definitely doing more practice questions. Gotta get dat A* (or my uncle - a Bio teacher - will probably stab me. Theoretically. Yeah.)

Original post by Yua
I got exactly 46, hopefully can secure an A* in the real thing. How did the mock go?

Wahey, well done! Good luck to you. I know who to ask questions when I get stuck :wink: Ah the mock. Ah. I walked out contemplating life. Some of it was alright (question on ethene made me so happy that I did AS Chemistry), but the majority? Eugh. 69 for an A* though. I might just pull through? Maybe?

I actually got a mid C last year in biology. I prioritisedbiolgy the least and had all nighters before the exams which weren't enough. I got a C and D in unit 1 and 2 respectively. So I'm doing resits for some maths further maths modules and unit 1amd 2 but im glad I am because unit 1 and 2 seem much easier now and I'm confident I'll get high Bs or an A in both.

Revision this year has been ongoing. I spent time in particular making sure I was on top on things so unit4 and 5 don't seem so daunting right now but I plan on doing either a unit 4 or 5 paper every other day from now on whilst trying to memorise my notes, of course

I need AAB minimum for York.

That sounds so rough D: that was me with my Maths last year too. But you know what you're doing now, and you'll be fine! :smile: How did you end up doing overall practicals wise? And how are you revising those math resits, I literally don't know where to start hahaha
That sounds so rough D: that was me with my Maths last year too. But you know what you're doing now, and you'll be fine! :smile: How did you end up doing overall practicals wise? And how are you revising those math resits, I literally don't know where to start hahaha

47/60 for AS coursework. 31/40 for this year's coursework. Probably a C.

I actually find maths the easiest out of my 3 (PE and biology) but I was a natural at maths until Further made me lose all confidence. I got As in stats and c2 but a B in core 1 (needed 65/72 for an A) so i'm redoing core 1 and some further modules. It's really easy to revise for, just do past papers and go to teachers on questions your stuck with. You'll soon understand the process of thinking better once they go through it with you and you'll get a better idea of what to expect from the exam.
Reply 512

Wahey, well done! Good luck to you. I know who to ask questions when I get stuck :wink: Ah the mock. Ah. I walked out contemplating life. Some of it was alright (question on ethene made me so happy that I did AS Chemistry), but the majority? Eugh. 69 for an A* though. I might just pull through? Maybe?

69 for an A* sounds so nice, for reasons other than education. Hopefully you managed it
Would it be possible to get an okay mark just doing past papers and no content?
That's alright! I started at a similar time last year and somehow I turned out ok! If you're getting 65-75, you sound like you have a good grasp of the big concepts and might just need to work on exam technique. Looking at mark schemes and examiners reports to see what they want exactly etc etc. Ecosystems isn't hard to learn on your own, if I were you I would try to learn that Asap. Sooner you learn it all, sooner you can do practice questions and papers.

I got an A too last year, good UMS exam wise (somewhere around 90ish) but my coursework was a trainwreck, so I got a mid A. To remedy that, I started revising much earlier (February, very casually) and I'm definitely doing more practice questions. Gotta get dat A* (or my uncle - a Bio teacher - will probably stab me. Theoretically. Yeah.)

Oh what, you have a bio teacher in your family, no way! Yh i agree you better get an A* then lool. I'm thinking about being a science alvl teacher.

Ahh coursework, this year my coursework mark is lower, 29/40, hopefully its a B; a high mark would of helped in the long run u know. :s-smilie:

Are you also doing chem or math? Those are my other two A2s.
Original post by jenny1995

when is your first exam?
Gunna start F215 at the start of May(ish)
Reply 517
Does anyone learn by reading over their notes? Or do people learn from the process of writing them out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
47/60 for AS coursework. 31/40 for this year's coursework. Probably a C.

I actually find maths the easiest out of my 3 (PE and biology) but I was a natural at maths until Further made me lose all confidence. I got As in stats and c2 but a B in core 1 (needed 65/72 for an A) so i'm redoing core 1 and some further modules. It's really easy to revise for, just do past papers and go to teachers on questions your stuck with. You'll soon understand the process of thinking better once they go through it with you and you'll get a better idea of what to expect from the exam.

Ffs, that's too high to be a C you have to be joking
Yeah, the thing is, I'm not -bad- at maths, but I tend to freak out a lot more. I got As in stats and C1 and a B in C2, which brought me down as my As were borderline. I'm retaking C1 and C2 to try and bump my UMS up. Guess I've gotta hit the papers soon, eh? -sigh-

Original post by Yua
69 for an A* sounds so nice, for reasons other than education. Hopefully you managed it

Fingers crossed! If I don't, it's not the end of the world, but minimum an A at this point. Just for the sake of my self-confidence. I did :cram: revise pretty hard for that

Original post by jenny1995

...lol? This is Bio, not maths. Probs a very bad decision.

Oh what, you have a bio teacher in your family, no way! Yh i agree you better get an A* then lool. I'm thinking about being a science alvl teacher.

Ahh coursework, this year my coursework mark is lower, 29/40, hopefully its a B; a high mark would of helped in the long run u know. :s-smilie:

Are you also doing chem or math? Those are my other two A2s.

Right? I only just really started asking him questions and for extra worksheets this year, even though he covered our spec in his old school lolololol Yeah he would probably judge me if I flopped now hahaha
Nice! Don't worry, I had something like 27/8 last year, which is pretty abysmal to be honest. Just smash those exams and you'll come out fine. Yeah, I do Chem. And Maths too because I like making life harder for myself ^^'

Original post by Jams97
Does anyone learn by reading over their notes? Or do people learn from the process of writing them out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both, more of the latter.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 519
Ffs, that's too high to be a C you have to be joking
Yeah, the thing is, I'm not -bad- at maths, but I tend to freak out a lot more. I got As in stats and C1 and a B in C2, which brought me down as my As were borderline. I'm retaking C1 and C2 to try and bump my UMS up. Guess I've gotta hit the papers soon, eh? -sigh-

Fingers crossed! If I don't, it's not the end of the world, but minimum an A at this point. Just for the sake of my self-confidence. I did :cram: revise pretty hard for that

...lol? This is Bio, not maths. Probs a very bad decision.

Right? I only just really started asking him questions and for extra worksheets this year, even though he covered our spec in his old school lolololol Yeah he would probably judge me if I flopped now hahaha
Nice! Don't worry, I had something like 27/8 last year, which is pretty abysmal to be honest. Just smash those exams and you'll come out fine. Yeah, I do Chem. And Maths too because I like making life harder for myself ^^'

Both, more of the latter.

what was your UMS in as?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending