The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hi AllMyDays,

I do apologise for the huge delay in replying back! The past month has been manic to say the least.

First of all, congratulations! I hope you enjoy your time at City Uni and most of all, the course. :smile:

I'm not entirely sure how the PG year works in its entirety. If the division are going to continue with what they have done this past year, then you'll be sharing some lectures with the first year undergrads. The lectures we shared were Lifespan Studies (Psychology) and then Linguistics, but the latter was from the beginning of the Spring term.

I did some pre reading before starting the course, but in my opinion, nothing really prepares you! One of the areas I'd recommend reading into is Articulatory Phonetics. A book I'd advise you purchase would be Dr. Rachael-Anne Knight's coursebook on Phonetics. She is one of the lecturers at City University and she's been one of the main lecturers teaching us this year. You may or may not have Rachael teaching you, as I know PG (Ones) are taught Phonology with a guy called Mark Jones, so you may have Phonetics with him as well.

As for Linguistics, Dr Lucy Dipper sells a module handbook for around £4 which I found really handy, as it follows your weekly lectures and also gives some activities to implement what you have learnt. Moodle is very useful and have found some of the lecturers to be extremely helpful too.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Luke

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JordanC55
Hey,

how have you found being a guy on a female dominated programme? Was it easy to fit in etc.

Hello there JordanC55,

I do apologise for my delay in responding back to you.

Always great to hear a fellow male is choosing the career path of an SaLT.

So in my year, there is only myself and another male student (both 24). We also share some of the lectures with the PG students, which they have three males in their year (24-35ish). You also have the Speech and Language Science group who share most of the lectures with us, other than professional studies and they don't have one single male. I think I read somewhere on here about male SLT's tend to be mature students, who have already gained a degree in a similar field or chose the profession at a later date. Compared to the usual pattern of leaving school and going into further education. Another interesting aspect to why I feel males are so hesitant to study SaLT, is the word 'therapy'. In other parts of the world they refer to people working within the profession as pathologists, such as Australia, America, Germany, etc. Which, in some of these countries they appear to have more male SLT's.

I suppose from my experience, it hasn't been bad. Yes, it is a female dominated profession and you should prepare yourself for that, because it can be a tad overwhelming at times. Though what I have experienced to date, is a diverse amount of people with various personalities and backgrounds. So you'll always find someone who is on your wave length. :smile:

Hope that answers what you were looking for, but please do feel free to ask me any other questions.

Best wishes,

Luke
Hello guys!

Congratulations to everyone on your offers!!! I remember when I was in your position and how eager I was to start. Before you know it you'll be beginning your journey to become an SLT, and like me, feel that my first year has gone far to quickly!

Out of interest, are there any other prospective students looking to attend City this September?

I wish you all the best in your upcoming exams and to those who have not yet received an offer, remain positive and give it your all!

Luke
I finally heard back from all the unis!! 4 out of 4 offers :smile: talk about leaving it late from MMU and Sheffield! Hope everyone else is in the same boat.
Original post by HowayGuapa
I finally heard back from all the unis!! 4 out of 4 offers :smile: talk about leaving it late from MMU and Sheffield! Hope everyone else is in the same boat.

Wow! Congrats on all your offers. That's a nice situation to be in!!
Original post by Misfits_Boy22
Hello guys!

Congratulations to everyone on your offers!!! I remember when I was in your position and how eager I was to start. Before you know it you'll be beginning your journey to become an SLT, and like me, feel that my first year has gone far to quickly!

Out of interest, are there any other prospective students looking to attend City this September?

I wish you all the best in your upcoming exams and to those who have not yet received an offer, remain positive and give it your al

Luke

Hi Luke, it's very good of you to post positive thoughts on this forum since you've already been through this process yourself. I've not applied to City but was wondering if you had any specific tips that could help any of us starting our journey into SLT?
When can I expect to hear about applying for my bursary? I've had an offer for months and heard nothing from the university.
Original post by daffy_brush
When can I expect to hear about applying for my bursary? I've had an offer for months and heard nothing from the university.

Assuming you're a student from England applying to England, you need to do this yourself. Go on NHSBOSS website (should be top of Google) and set up an account and get started there. Have you done student finance? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi JaaySLT,

Original post by JaaySLT
Hi Luke, it's very good of you to post positive thoughts on this forum since you've already been through this process yourself. I've not applied to City but was wondering if you had any specific tips that could help any of us starting our journey into SLT?

Which university have you chosen?

Here are a few things I'd recommend to any student studying SaLT.

1, Get to know your personal tutor. Thats not to say you should meet up with them on a weekly basis, though if that helps you and your studies, then go for it.

2, If the university you are going to is the same as mine, then do not breach confidentiality within Professional Studies. Ensure you check your work and consent forms thoroughly. A few of the students in my year have easily made this mistake through the tiniest cock up and got 0% on their work. Its not a great feeling!

3, One of the subjects I found particularly difficult to grasp was Articulatory Phonetics and Acoustic Phonetics. Both cooperate with one another, but the first thing you need to learn is Articulatory Phonetics in order to understand Acoustic Phonetics. My advice is to read up on as much Phonetics as you possibly can, but without scaring yourself. The deeper you go into it, the more mind baffling it gets! A book I'd definitely recommend is this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phonetics-Coursebook-Rachael-Anne-Knight/dp/0521732441/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430258242&sr=8-1&keywords=Rachael-Anne+Knight Its wrote by one of my lecturers. I'm not recommending this because she lectures at City, but because she has this amazing ability to simplify a person's learning of Phonetics. It also incorporates some bits of Phonology, which is helpful when you come to learn the Phonological elements of language.

4, Get yourself out there! Join societies or charities, either within or outside the university. Sign yourself up for conferences or local workshops. It is difficult to find the time especially if you have other commitments, but its definitely a great way to make contacts and learn a lot more than just what the university teach you.

5, Enjoy your time! University for me is about exploring yourself, not just your chosen career. You'll make mistakes, stress out or even potentially consider dropping out. I considered once or twice of dropping out and giving up, but what kept me going was my love and passion for what SLT's can do. Keep your head up and don't let it get you down. If you're struggling with a certain aspect of the course or you don't quite understand, ask for help. The support that universities offer is completely different from sixth form or college. They want you to succeed.

Hope that helps, but if you have anymore questions then please do ask. :smile:

Luke

Congratulations! So have got decided which uni you are going to choose? :smile:
Thank you I had no idea that I needed to get started doing it now. What do you mean by student finance - its that not the same thing?

Original post by Butterfly9595
Assuming you're a student from England applying to England, you need to do this yourself. Go on NHSBOSS website (should be top of Google) and set up an account and get started there. Have you done student finance? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nesca89
Congratulations! So have got decided which uni you are going to choose? :smile:

Yep still going to go with leeds for 2016 :smile: does anyone know if with unconditional offers you choose an insurance choice? It doesn't make sense but I'd like to have one in case leeds stop running the course or something ridiculous!
Thank you I had no idea that I needed to get started doing it now. What do you mean by student finance - its that not the same thing?

No worries! So if you want a maintenance loan, you also need to apply to Student Finance England :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there, it's all a bit confusing don't worry if you haven't applied yet!

This is the link you'll need to set up your NHS Boss account to receive your bursary and get your tuition fees paid for http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/4002.aspx

This is the link you'll need for applying for student finance https://www.gov.uk/student-finance
You'll need this if you are applying for a maintenance loan or if you are eligible for a maintenance grant from the government

Hope that helps :smile:
Yep still going to go with leeds for 2016 :smile: does anyone know if with unconditional offers you choose an insurance choice? It doesn't make sense but I'd like to have one in case leeds stop running the course or something ridiculous!

If you have an unconditional offer and accept it as your firm, you can't have an insurance as well, as your place at your unconditional Uni is confirmed.
Original post by AmyPilot
I live at Manchester Student Village in Lower Chatham Street right near Oxford Road train station - might be worth checking that out - think it has a slightly better reputation than MSV South and you can ask to be put with second or third years if you want older flatmates. (Also one of the cheapest halls - flats between 3-5 students - not luxurious but I am happy enough there and it feels safe/secure). Personally I would avoid Fallowfield area like the plague whether you go uni halls or private.

I'm looking into MSV at the moment but will probably go into one of the cheaper rooms. Have you seen any of them and are they crazy tiny or okay? I've read some mixed reviews but they were from a few years ago! Are the kitchen and bathrooms shared between 3/4 people in the flat? Thanks! Everywhere seems to be selling out so I want to book up soon :smile: The other place I'm looking at is Carfax Court with but it's further away from MMU.
Original post by Kaylou12
I'm looking into MSV at the moment but will probably go into one of the cheaper rooms. Have you seen any of them and are they crazy tiny or okay? I've read some mixed reviews but they were from a few years ago! Are the kitchen and bathrooms shared between 3/4 people in the flat? Thanks! Everywhere seems to be selling out so I want to book up soon :smile: The other place I'm looking at is Carfax Court with but it's further away from MMU.

I have an ordinary room but went for one of the "refurbished" ones - still fairly cheap compared to some other places. My room is quite a good size and I think the only difference would be the décor and furnishings (hence the refurbished title I presume).

My flat has 3 bedrooms - and we share a kitchen toilet and shower room. There are no windows in the kitchens. We have our own front door off a long corridor and of course each bedroom is lockable.

The location is ideal and I have always felt safe. They are doing some work on the place including work on the laundry room and the common room on the ground floor (though not sure how much that is used!) - they might be putting a gym or something too (cant remember all the details from the emails they send round).

There is a 24 hour reception and staff on site so that is good.

Its not luxury but I have been comfortable/happy there.
Original post by AmyPilot
I have an ordinary room but went for one of the "refurbished" ones - still fairly cheap compared to some other places. My room is quite a good size and I think the only difference would be the décor and furnishings (hence the refurbished title I presume).My flat has 3 bedrooms - and we share a kitchen toilet and shower room. There are no windows in the kitchens. We have our own front door off a long corridor and of course each bedroom is lockable.The location is ideal and I have always felt safe. They are doing some work on the place including work on the laundry room and the common room on the ground floor (though not sure how much that is used!) - they might be putting a gym or something too (cant remember all the details from the emails they send round).There is a 24 hour reception and staff on site so that is good.Its not luxury but I have been comfortable/happy there.

Yeah the location is perfect. I'm not too worried about luxury accommodation to be honest, we'll all be on campus most of the time I suppose! Getting excited for September now :smile: Thanks for the info, it's handy having insider advice!
Original post by Kaylou12
Yeah the location is perfect. I'm not too worried about luxury accommodation to be honest, we'll all be on campus most of the time I suppose! Getting excited for September now :smile: Thanks for the info, it's handy having insider advice!

Pleased to help in any way I can. I can't believe how the year has flown by - just the exams (first one Friday!) and one more piece of coursework to face! Doesn't seem real that a year ago I was looking forward (and dreading) starting.

Will be nice to meet some new people but also a little sad to leave the current first year SPT folk as my small group doing the joint course breaks away.

If I can help in any other way let me know.
Original post by Misfits_Boy22
Hi JaaySLT,

Which university have you chosen?

Here are a few things I'd recommend to any student studying SaLT.

1, Get to know your personal tutor. Thats not to say you should meet up with them on a weekly basis, though if that helps you and your studies, then go for it.

2, If the university you are going to is the same as mine, then do not breach confidentiality within Professional Studies. Ensure you check your work and consent forms thoroughly. A few of the students in my year have easily made this mistake through the tiniest cock up and got 0% on their work. Its not a great feeling!

3, One of the subjects I found particularly difficult to grasp was Articulatory Phonetics and Acoustic Phonetics. Both cooperate with one another, but the first thing you need to learn is Articulatory Phonetics in order to understand Acoustic Phonetics. My advice is to read up on as much Phonetics as you possibly can, but without scaring yourself. The deeper you go into it, the more mind baffling it gets! A book I'd definitely recommend is this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phonetics-Coursebook-Rachael-Anne-Knight/dp/0521732441/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430258242&sr=8-1&keywords=Rachael-Anne+Knight Its wrote by one of my lecturers. I'm not recommending this because she lectures at City, but because she has this amazing ability to simplify a person's learning of Phonetics. It also incorporates some bits of Phonology, which is helpful when you come to learn the Phonological elements of language.

4, Get yourself out there! Join societies or charities, either within or outside the university. Sign yourself up for conferences or local workshops. It is difficult to find the time especially if you have other commitments, but its definitely a great way to make contacts and learn a lot more than just what the university teach you.

5, Enjoy your time! University for me is about exploring yourself, not just your chosen career. You'll make mistakes, stress out or even potentially consider dropping out. I considered once or twice of dropping out and giving up, but what kept me going was my love and passion for what SLT's can do. Keep your head up and don't let it get you down. If you're struggling with a certain aspect of the course or you don't quite understand, ask for help. The support that universities offer is completely different from sixth form or college. They want you to succeed.

Hope that helps, but if you have anymore questions then please do ask. :smile:

Luke

Thanks for that detailed response Luke. Much appreciated! I'll be back with any more questions I may have, once again, thank you!!*

Quick Reply

Latest