The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by Lau14
Yeah they don't seem to think things through :/ ah well, it'll be over soon! I don't get why there's not a set date for the written paper though to be honest, that would cut down on cheating massively?

It would cut it down. People can do it anytime from the 1st to the 15th May at the moment. So those schools doing theirs first are severely disadvantaged!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 541
Original post by Protoxylic
The first question

Spoiler

was presented differently and so I presume people will trip up on that. The thermal was pretty standard, although one of the questions required that you take into account the copper can (if you have done the paper, you'll get what I mean :P ). Other than that, it's slightly harder than average, reflected by the grade boundaries being significantly lower than average.

Thanks for the lowdown! I have it on 8th May after my EMPA so ill be sure to expect a hard paper!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 542
Original post by CD223
It would cut it down. People can do it anytime from the 1st to the 15th May at the moment. So those schools doing theirs first are severely disadvantaged!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it doesn't seem fair and there's no reason for it to be done that way :/ although seeing as they're scrapping the practical section I guess they aren't changing it now!
Reply 543
Original post by Lau14
Yeah it doesn't seem fair and there's no reason for it to be done that way :/ although seeing as they're scrapping the practical section I guess they aren't changing it now!

It's understandable. So many people on here are obviously mass messaging people regarding the EMPA.

My friend and I are being inundated with the same messages!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 544
To those who have done the June 2014 paper and had it marked, if you didn't understand a particular question or the mark scheme, feel free to ask me about it as I have done this paper, marked it and analysed it.:smile:
I do Astrophysics so I cannot answer queries about the other options.
Reply 545
Original post by TheRAG
To those who have done the June 2014 paper and had it marked, if you didn't understand a particular question or the mark scheme, feel free to ask me about it as I have done this paper, marked it and analysed it.:smile:
I do Astrophysics so I cannot answer queries about the other options.

Sorry to be a pain, but would you mind PMing, or emailing me the 2014 papers and mark schemes?

I keep meaning to add them to the first post of each thread!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 546
Original post by CD223
Sorry to be a pain, but would you mind PMing, or emailing me the 2014 papers and mark schemes?

I keep meaning to add them to the first post of each thread!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here they are, although I'm pretty sure I've added them here before.

AQA-PHYA5-1-QP-Jun14.pdf AQA-PHYA5-1-W-MS-Jun14.pdf
AQA-PHYA5-2A-QP-Jun14.pdf
AQA-PHYA5-2A-W-MS-Jun14.pdf
Reply 547
Original post by CD223
I think I'll start off without timing - it'll only add stress!

Yeah I recommend the first one not being timed because unless you are like some sort of super robot thing that spews physics you'll probably end up focussing more on the timing than the actual wording of the questions, knowledge etc...
Reply 548
Original post by TheRAG
Here they are, although I'm pretty sure I've added them here before.

AQA-PHYA5-1-QP-Jun14.pdf AQA-PHYA5-1-W-MS-Jun14.pdf
AQA-PHYA5-2A-QP-Jun14.pdf
AQA-PHYA5-2A-W-MS-Jun14.pdf

You have - I do apologise! They just get lost in the thread! That's very kind of you, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 549
Original post by _Caz_
Yeah I recommend the first one not being timed because unless you are like some sort of super robot thing that spews physics you'll probably end up focussing more on the timing than the actual wording of the questions, knowledge etc...

I love the image of a robot "spewing physics" 😂

Good advice, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 550
Original post by CD223
You have - I do apologise! They just get lost in the thread! That's very kind of you, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Understandable! Probably a few hundred posts away by now, wouldn't want to trawl through all that to find them!
Have you added them to resources yet?
Reply 551
Original post by TheRAG
Understandable! Probably a few hundred posts away by now, wouldn't want to trawl through all that to find them!
Have you added them to resources yet?

True true! I'll make sure I add them tonight - just out of the house at the minute!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 552
How's everyone revising atm? Still reluctant to touch the past papers as theres so few :frown:
Reply 553
Original post by wmavfc
How's everyone revising atm? Still reluctant to touch the past papers as theres so few :frown:

To be honest I've been prioritising other exams and the EMPA so I haven't really done much on this unit, but unless you're planning on doing all the papers really close together then starting soon is probably a good idea, it's only 6-7 weeks until the exam and you don't want to find a problem with something just a few days before!
Reply 554
Original post by Lau14
To be honest I've been prioritising other exams and the EMPA so I haven't really done much on this unit, but unless you're planning on doing all the papers really close together then starting soon is probably a good idea, it's only 6-7 weeks until the exam and you don't want to find a problem with something just a few days before!

That's very true. I should probably start now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 555
Original post by wmavfc

Done a few past papers (although with my notes so not under exam conditions).
Need to step it up, although I have CPS (Chronic Procrastinator Syndrome).

Wondering if anyone else also has this :P
Reply 556
In a set of questions by PhysicsAndMathsTutor a question states "Discuss the merits to using high energy electrons rather than alpha particles"

I was under the impression both were equally valid and hence there weren't really good and bad comparisons to be made. I know how both work and how the radii are determined, but i don't quite get the idea of benefits and drawbacks.
Reply 557
Original post by Amanzz
In a set of questions by PhysicsAndMathsTutor a question states "Discuss the merits to using high energy electrons rather than alpha particles"

I was under the impression both were equally valid and hence there weren't really good and bad comparisons to be made. I know how both work and how the radii are determined, but i don't quite get the idea of benefits and drawbacks.

Alphas are composed of hadrons so are affected by the strong nuclear force where as electrons are leptons so are not affected by the strong nuclear force.

Also the alpha scattering only measures the closest distance of approach not the radius.

I'm not sure if that answers your question or not but its there anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 558
Original post by Lau14

Yeah I was thinking I'd do 1+ a week starting next week. Gonna do em all twice. Will just try to improve my notes for this week.

Original post by TheRAG
Done a few past papers (although with my notes so not under exam conditions).
Need to step it up, although I have CPS (Chronic Procrastinator Syndrome).

Wondering if anyone else also has this :P

Yeah it's good to do them with notes at first. No use trying to do without and getting frustrated. I've no idea what the timings like with Unit 5 as I've not done a mock - but shouldn't be as bad as Unit 4.. Think 95% of students have CPS mate haha
Reply 559
Original post by _Caz_
Alphas are composed of hadrons so are affected by the strong nuclear force where as electrons are leptons so are not affected by the strong nuclear force.

Also the alpha scattering only measures the closest distance of approach not the radius.

I'm not sure if that answers your question or not but its there anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks Caz. That makes sense i guess, though it could be argued that the De Broglie wavelength isn't precisely the radius too I guess. I thought it was a bit of a silly question to compare the two, however a valid point with the strong force, I forgot that!:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending