The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3640
Bristol Econ or Warwick Politics and Economics?
Original post by casiobose
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about applying for economics at Cambridge, or E and M at Oxford. I know that Cambridge like double maths, which unfortunately I don't do. Even if I get 100% UMS in C1, C2 and S1, would Cambridge give me a second look?

Thanks

Yes 100% in Maths will look good. If your other subjects are also good, you will be invited to interview. Do take up AS FM in Yr 13 though, it Pareto dominates you not taking it.

Original post by lionalee
Does anyone apply for master in economics for columbia?have u heard any result?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty sure US schools only offer PhDs for postgrad.

Original post by ndhala
Bristol Econ or Warwick Politics and Economics?

If you're looking for prestige, or to impress others over dinner then Warwick. Otherwise, would you wanna spend 50% of your time studying Politics?
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about applying for economics at Cambridge, or E and M at Oxford. I know that Cambridge like double maths, which unfortunately I don't do. Even if I get 100% UMS in C1, C2 and S1, would Cambridge give me a second look?

Thanks

I woudln't be worried about that... visit both and see which one you prefer!
Hi guys,

Thanks

TBH unless you pick up AS further you have no chance. Most applicnts will get 95+% in 3 AS modules in maths so if you hope for a chance at cam or LSE you need AS further or maybe step! With oxford i dont know the process too well but i think they are more leinient if not econ history or PPE would be good options as there maths isnt the key focus.
Hi guys,

Thanks

I picked up AS FM (FP1, S1 and S2) this year (year 13 for me) and I got offers from cam and lse. You are going to want to pick up some more stats units, it really isn't difficult. FP1 is like C1 in difficulty when you get used to it; S2 is easier than S1. High UMS across the board is essential. Anywhere from 93% to 100% will get you an interview and from that point its down to interview performance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3645
You guys seen the new 2016 economics rankings ? Durham has fallen to 23rd!
Original post by dstunr

Slightly sceptical that herriot watt finished above Durham tbh, in that league table student satisfaction has the highest weighting so you have to question the rankings really

Although I have to say I'm quite impressed that Warwick are up to second and I'm sure the department will be, at the open day the main economics seemed very keen on climbing the rankings, plus it means I've firmed and insured the top 2 😎😎😎

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dstunr

I know I was so shocked to see , are you aware of what's happened because usually to do with like student satisfaction or them having an incredibly bad series of exams !
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Slightly sceptical that herriot watt finished above Durham tbh, in that league table student satisfaction has the highest weighting so you have to question the rankings really

Although I have to say I'm quite impressed that Warwick are up to second and I'm sure the department will be, at the open day the main economics seemed very keen on climbing the rankings, plus it means I've firmed and insured the top 2 😎😎😎

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello Woxbridge? :wink:

Student satisfaction doesn't seem too bad for them, I think it's because the 'Research quality' column has been omitted; bringing them down.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Hello Woxbridge? :wink:

Student satisfaction doesn't seem too bad for them, I think it's because the 'Research quality' column has been omitted; bringing them down.

Yes woxbridge all the way, although they can only really be seen as slight competition to Oxbridge in econ, maths and business management courses right? A lot of their other degrees are of a similar level to other Russell group unis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dstunr

It's only fallen to 23rd because there is no grade yet on the system for research quality. If you look at the other stats its graduate propsects, entry standards etc are more like what is expected.
Manchester has a pretty good world ranking for Economics(72nd in the world)but wth on the CUG rankings?
Original post by Skill Twix
Manchester has a pretty good world ranking for Economics(72nd in the world)but wth on the CUG rankings?

Where's it placed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Skill Twix

Don't be surprised by inconsistencies in rankings. There are contradictions amongst all rankings, pretty much. QS will paint a different picture to Shanghai, THE, CUG and GUG will all say something different. They all measure different things differently. Domestic rankings usually take into account things like student satisfaction, whereas international ones don't. This is probably why Manchester doesn't fair well. International rankings probably look at things like reputation more - which is why some universities like KCL always perform better in them than domestic rankings.
Original post by NikolaT
Don't be surprised by inconsistencies in rankings. There are contradictions amongst all rankings, pretty much. QS will paint a different picture to Shanghai, THE, CUG and GUG will all say something different. They all measure different things differently. Domestic rankings usually take into account things like student satisfaction, whereas international ones don't. This is probably why Manchester doesn't fair well. International rankings probably look at things like reputation more - which is why some universities like KCL always perform better in them than domestic rankings.

Original post by NinjaPandaa
Where's it placed?
Ah okay!
Posted from TSR Mobile

32nd
I have admitted at MSPE program at illinois urbana champaign and Msc Behavioural and economics science. I confused what i should take, opinion pleaseeee. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just wondering does anyone know whether the masters econ degree programmes at Oxbridge or LSE are more or less competitive than their respective undergrad degrees?
Less competitive in terms of the number of applicants. However you'll probably need a first from decent university to get in, so it's not necessarily easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nottingham City is great for university give it some serious consideration for sure :smile:
Hello guys my name is Matty Bigland you can call me Mr big :wink: i take economics any tips on how to become an accountant?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending