The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply to games

I see where you are coming from. However penicillin is only produced by penicillium is certain conditions. Penicillium produces penicillium to kill bacteria, it doesn't require human influence for penicillin to be produced. Penicillin is produced in the stationary phase for example when there is lots f competition for nutrients.

Yeah they are kind of unrelated, but I think they could be linked in an exam question quite easily.

It's similar to how would puberty hormones be classified - primary or secondary? They are only produced at a certain stage of growth, not at all times. Primary metabolites are produced in normal growth. So it's unclear I think how to classify a particular substance/molecule?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Has anyone done the qualitative of vegetation cover and soil texture?
Original post by Hilton184
Are beta galactosidase and lactose permease, the enzymes synthesised when lactose is present in the environment, considered secondary metabolites? Because they are not synthesised during normal growth but only at specific stages of growth. Is this correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply to games

I see where you are coming from. However penicillin is only produced by penicillium is certain conditions. Penicillium produces penicillium to kill bacteria, it doesn't require human influence for penicillin to be produced. Penicillin is produced in the stationary phase for example when there is lots f competition for nutrients.

Yeah they are kind of unrelated, but I think they could be linked in an exam question quite easily.

It's similar to how would puberty hormones be classified - primary or secondary? They are only produced at a certain stage of growth, not at all times. Primary metabolites are produced in normal growth. So it's unclear I think how to classify a particular substance/molecule?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had this issue too when I learned it. Usually they'll give you a growth curve (like in the June 2014 paper) so you'll be able to deduce it from there, or some data or information to help. I wouldn't class turning a gene on or off as different conditions as it happens a lot. But things like competition, presence of oxygen, pH etc are what I'd call a different condition personally. I'd avoid defining it as a product synthesised at a specific stage of growth, as that gets confusing.
Original post by AnnekaChan173
I had this issue too when I learned it. Usually they'll give you a growth curve (like in the June 2014 paper) so you'll be able to deduce it from there, or some data or information to help. I wouldn't class turning a gene on or off as different conditions as it happens a lot. But things like competition, presence of oxygen, pH etc are what I'd call a different condition personally. I'd avoid defining it as a product synthesised at a specific stage of growth, as that gets confusing.

I see what you're saying.

However one of the specification points is 'describe the differences between primary and secondary metabolites'
I can imagine this could be asked as a straight up question, so I am unsure what they would want us to say.

Primary metabolites - produced during 'normal' growth, in fact at all stages in the growth of an organism because primary metabolites are the product of essential metabolic processes.

Secondary metabolites - produced not during normal growth, but only when there is competition for nutrients - in the stationary phase of the standard growth curve.

Is there much else possible to say or anything you would say differently?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I see what you're saying.

However one of the specification points is 'describe the differences between primary and secondary metabolites'
I can imagine this could be asked as a straight up question, so I am unsure what they would want us to say.

Primary metabolites - produced during 'normal' growth, in fact at all stages in the growth of an organism because primary metabolites are the product of essential metabolic processes.

Secondary metabolites - produced not during normal growth, but only when there is competition for nutrients - in the stationary phase of the standard growth curve.

Is there much else possible to say or anything you would say differently?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I get what you're saying. But dividing it into normal growth and a specific stage of growth is a little confusing, like with the examples above, it's hard to categorise them. If you mean normal growth of the (unmodified) organism for say growth and repair etc, state explicitly. Personally I would just omit that, but the rest is fine methinks.
Hi guys , do we need to know in great detail the structure of Actin and Myosin ? in skeletal muscles
Original post by TheLegalDealer
Hi guys , do we need to know in great detail the structure of Actin and Myosin ? in skeletal muscles

Yes...?
Yes...?

As in e.g. Tropinin having 3 polypeptides . one to bind to actin , on to tropomyosin and calcium ions

A dumb question i know lmao , but just want to be sure im not learning unnecessary stuff
As in e.g. Tropinin having 3 polypeptides . one to bind to actin , on to tropomyosin and calcium ions

A dumb question i know lmao , but just want to be sure im not learning unnecessary stuff

Just know that when Ca2+ is released, it binds onto troponin, which changes its shape.nsince troponin is bound to troponyosin, this moves tropomyosin, exposing the actin binding sites. Therefore you can make cross bridges etc
Reply 549

Don't think so
Just know that when Ca2+ is released, it binds onto troponin, which changes its shape.nsince troponin is bound to troponyosin, this moves tropomyosin, exposing the actin binding sites. Therefore you can make cross bridges etc

Cheers !
Reply 551
Really need help with my evaluative coursework tomorrow on woodlice. Has anyone done it that could give me advice? I downloaded a really helpful pdf file someone had made on here the other day but lost it and i can't find the link to print it out again now!!
Reply 552
my evaluative on woodlice is tomorrow as well . I am worried !!!!!!
If you find something pls helllllp me thx alot
How's Everyone revising ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AsianBeauty
How's Everyone revising ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Currently watching the political debate, so basically not at this moment :')
For Biology, I have written my own notes, I reread those and highlight as I go through, and do practice questions. Practice questions on practice questions. Since we're in the last few weeks of school, make sure you ask questions. It doesn't matter how stupid, just ask. I'm pretty sure my Biology teacher is tired of me, but it's turned out well, I'm doing ok. And yeah, ask here too! Exam questions especially, seeing how other people think has helped me reword my answers, so I'm not writing essays for few marks.
I feel like I don't accomplish anything when i try revising inheritance stuff like epistasis
Reply 556
What is interrupted PCR in simple words
I dnt need the whole process . Just a briefing
Original post by bburn96
What is interrupted PCR in simple words
I dnt need the whole process . Just a briefing

PCR with terminator bases, makes DNA strands wih different lengths, is used with electrophoresis to sequence DNA.
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
I feel like I don't accomplish anything when i try revising inheritance stuff like epistasis

I swear I spent hours on all of that... I don't even want to think about it hahaha :frown: I can't get a hang of population genetics.
I swear I spent hours on all of that... I don't even want to think about it hahaha :frown: I can't get a hang of population genetics.

it's more that after all revise it, I don't feel like I'm any closer to doing well in The exam. It seems too simple and I don't like that impression.

Do you mean stuff like speciation? I don't blame you, it's too boring

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending