The Student Room Group

Help for Edexcel AS Geography

Just wondering if any AS students/retakers want some kind of help with Edexcel AS Geography... I got an A last year so hopefully I can be of some help!:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hey, How did you find Unit 2?
Reply 2
Original post by qwerty123A
Hey, How did you find Unit 2?

Hey again! I found Unit 2 easier than Unit 1 I think, I did Extreme Weather and Rebranding Places.

For me I struggled to push my grade past just a borderline A, however with practice pushed it up to 100% UMS :smile:
Did you make up data as well? :ninja:
Reply 4
Original post by qwerty123A
Did you make up data as well? :ninja:

Yep! Worked well really haha because it wasn't obvious :smile:
How did you structure your 10 and 15 mark questions? For both unit 1 and 2
I am retaking and have forgotten everything to do with this exam! I have no idea how to structure the essays .. please help! thank u :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Lewis Tigran
How did you structure your 10 and 15 mark questions? For both unit 1 and 2

It all depends on the question really! Unit 1 was always a lot harder to structure. Unit 2 is easier as for 10 markers you basically just follow the source if you're given one, and if not and you get something like "Describe a range of management strategies when dealing with drought" you'd structure it a paragraph for each strategy perhaps? For 15 markers in unit 2 is again depends on the question but I'd structure them
-Intro about your investigation
-Your research (secondary data)
-Your fieldwork (primary data)
-Conclusion

Hope this is of some help!
Reply 8
Original post by DanielleSP
I am retaking and have forgotten everything to do with this exam! I have no idea how to structure the essays .. please help! thank u :smile:

Read my reply to someone else on this thread :P It depends on the question you get especially for unit 1, the 10 and 15 markers in that are really hard!
Hey, for the 5 marker and 4 marker questions on unit 1 how many points did you give? I'm really bad at understanding and applying knowledge to questions in that paper . Do you have any techniques for time management in the exam? Thank you :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by DaveUncle
Just wondering if any AS students/retakers want some kind of help with Edexcel AS Geography... I got an A last year so hopefully I can be of some help!:smile:

i need help on remembering the case studies and just remembering it all really
Reply 11
Original post by Rxayz
i need help on remembering the case studies and just remembering it all really

For case studies I recommend writing them out from your notes or whatever and then from memory until you can do it :smile:

For the rest of the content, past papers are the way forward!
Reply 12

Hey,
I was doing loads of past papers for unit 1, whilst I was making them, I found that the Mark Scheme was quite restrictive as in, there was not many things that it would also allow.
Also, I found that eventhough there are definitions given in the text book, the mark scheme has a very different answers, so I was wondering if the examiners allow this?

I hope I make sense.
Reply 13
Original post by Sasha66
Hey,
I was doing loads of past papers for unit 1, whilst I was making them, I found that the Mark Scheme was quite restrictive as in, there was not many things that it would also allow.
Also, I found that eventhough there are definitions given in the text book, the mark scheme has a very different answers, so I was wondering if the examiners allow this?

I hope I make sense.

Yeah Unit 1 is difficult as the 1 mark questions ask for very specific information! And I'd learn whatever the mark scheme says to be honest to be safe
Hi, I have a unit 2 question for extreme weather question that i want to write but have no clue what to write. I is "June 2009- Many places are experiencing an increased risk of river flooding. Describe how you would design a programme of fieldwork and research to investigate the reasons for this" Any help would be appreciated as I don't understand the mark scheme :smile:
Hey again! I found Unit 2 easier than Unit 1 I think, I did Extreme Weather and Rebranding Places.

For me I struggled to push my grade past just a borderline A, however with practice pushed it up to 100% UMS :smile:

Do you still have your notes for rebranding and Extreme Weather??
Hi, any tips on how to get an A or how to revise for Unit 1 & 2 geography?
Reply 17
Original post by Catchmyrye
Do you still have your notes for rebranding and Extreme Weather??

Afraid not! Most of my notes were from the CGP revision guide though, if that helps :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by eronaarifi
Hi, any tips on how to get an A or how to revise for Unit 1 & 2 geography?

Past papers then go over it with the markscheme, see which bits you didn't do so well on and go over them with the textbook/revision guide :smile:
Thankyou! But considering i only have less than a week till my exam + revision from other subjects, do you think i should do past papers or revise the whole topic from the start?

Quick Reply

Latest