The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leinad2012
Oh and from last season against the other top half away from home:

P9 W3 D1 L5 GD-16

Oh and we lost against every other team in the top 7 apart from Spurs, and 6 or our 7 loses were against top half teams away (5 of 7 against the top 7 away).

Soooo, basically, we're ****ing awful away against any decent team

So what you're saying is that Arsenal don't demolish decent teams in their own stadium?

Shocker.
Original post by Arkasia
So what you're saying is that Arsenal don't demolish decent teams in their own stadium?

Shocker.

Are you honestly trying to justify a record of P17 W4 D3 L10 GD-22 in the last 2 seasons away to top half teams? Because if you are I'm extremely worried...
The head to head against Chelsea killed us off, 4 points vs. 1. If we won both of those games we would be 1 point behind provided we won the game in hand. Says it all and it's why Chelsea deserve the title, if you can guarantee that you won't lose a head to head against the rest of the top 4 (or in Chelsea's case win all of them), then frankly, you're half way there provided you don't **** up against **** teams like they did last year.

If we lose to United then we'll have come bottom of the top 4 mini league AGAIN, **** progress, we beat a **** Liverpool team with their 2 best players injured and a **** City team who had their big player out. It's quite conceivable that we'll finish on the same or less points than last year, the only difference is the teams around us have become ****ter. Hell, we even lost to a ridiculously **** United team at HOME. Until we can at least match 3 out of the other top 5 in head to head (preferably beat at least 2 of them), then we'll never be champions, and we won't deserve to be.

Wengs needs to smarten up and take two draws vs. Chelsea, play counter attack football away to United and City then kill them at home. Also need to up the performances against the good clubs (i.e. 6-10) I'm sorry but not even beating Soton, Spurs, Stoke AND Swansea in head to head, dropping 12 points at least in the process is ****ing disgusting to say the least. Notice how we lost against all 4 away but beat them all (bar Swansea who we're yet to play) at home, it shows real lack of mental strength or ability to adjust to the way decent teams play like Chelsea do.

So was the game against Arsenal a formality or not then Daniel? It was always going to be a bore draw or a Chelsea win.
Also it's between Chelsea, Chelsea and possibly United for the title next season.

I can see United buying top quality players in the summer which if they click can challenge well but they'll fall short due to the adaptation period like Chelsea in 13/14.
Original post by jam277
Also it's between Chelsea, Chelsea and possibly United for the title next season.

I can see United buying top quality players in the summer which if they click can challenge well but they'll fall short due to the adaptation period like Chelsea in 13/14.

Bro you been on that strong stuff ain't you?

Revising after gym is impossible man. I feel dead.
Original post by IceyFish
Bro you been on that strong stuff ain't you?

Revising after gym is impossible man. I feel dead.

Looool that looks like some good chronic.

Yeah I know that feeling man. I miss uni so much ffs. Oh well payday soon.
Original post by jam277

hmm, I dont see liverpool managing well next season, or city - considering how much they need to re-build.

For me its between chelsea, united and arsenal..

But really I cant see either united or arsenal having quite enough quality to push for a whole season..

So chelsea it is.. I would guess
Mourinho says PL is not like Germany with bayern or Scotland with celtic,

While conveniently forgetting that he is the only manager apart from Fergie to retain a premier league title
Next season will be very interesting. I can definitely see you guys challenging with the right signings.
Reply 8530
Original post by jam277

Don't think we can make predictions yet this year with potential transfer bans looming that can change entire dynamics.
arrogance beside I think there is no way that Chelsea can retain the title. There have been too many faults in our team this half of the season and we need about 150M to win the title which we can't afford.

Arsenal arguably have a stronger squad, hence why they dominated us and United are on the way to have a strongers squad, as they unlike us will completely inflate the transfer market by spending nearly 350M in 2 seasons. In fact if they don't win the title next season with the amount of money they have spent and will continue to spend Van Gaal should be sacked. It will be nothing short of pathetic in all honesty.

Liverpool also have a very young team, with another striker to work in tandem with Sturridge when he's out and a central midfielder better than Lucas they will do serious damage. Look at the difference between Chelsea with Torres and Chelsea with Costa, that is the same difference as Liverpool with Balotelli and Liverpool with Sturridge.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jam277
arrogance beside I think there is no way that Chelsea can retain the title. There have been too many faults in our team this half of the season and we need about 150M to win the title which we can't afford.

Arsenal arguably have a stronger squad, hence why they dominated us and United are on the way to have a strongers squad, as they unlike us will completely inflate the transfer market by spending nearly 350M in 2 seasons. In fact if they don't win the title next season with the amount of money they have spent and will continue to spend Van Gaal should be sacked. It will be nothing short of pathetic in all honesty.

Liverpool also have a very young team, with another striker to work in tandem with Sturridge when he's out and a central midfielder better than Lucas they will do serious damage. Look at the difference between Chelsea with Torres and Chelsea with Costa, that is the same difference as Liverpool with Balotelli and Liverpool with Sturridge.

Chelsea managed 81 pts without Costa.
Original post by AR_95
Chelsea managed 81 pts without Costa.

Chelsea had 82 points firstly, and Chelsea have 80 points with 4 games to go, clearly there is a massive improvement in our performances that can be attributed down to a striker.

Anyway think title next season will go and realistically should go.

1. Manchester United.
2. Arsenal
3. Chelsea.
4. Liverpool
5. Manchester City.

Maybe you can switch 3rd and 4th place around, but if any team are below this prediction table, they have SEVERELY underachieved.
Original post by jam277
Chelsea had 82 points firstly, and Chelsea have 80 points with 4 games to go, clearly there is a massive improvement in our performances that can be attributed down to a striker.

1. Manchester United.
2. Arsenal
3. Chelsea.
4. Liverpool
5. Manchester City.

Maybe you can switch 3rd and 4th place around, but if any team are below this prediction table, they have SEVERELY underachieved.

Yeh anything less than the title next year and LVG will be sacked. Chelsea will be favourites and rightly so but hopefully someone can put up a challenge next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam277

1. Manchester United.
2. Arsenal
3. Chelsea.
4. Liverpool
5. Manchester City.

Took a quick guess instead of actually checking but regardless, the deficiencies between Liverpool now and Chelsea of last season are more then just striker problems. You still had the best defence in the league where as Liverpool are far from that. If you mean that the jump between the performances is significant then fair enough if Liverpool do buy a striker they'll look better but they still need to get the defence right.
We won't challenge next year, we have far too many issues that go beyond just individual players. We're an injury prone hot cold side who rarely perform away from the plush grass of the Emirates against decent opposition (apart from when we know we're out of the competition anyway like Monaco or Bayern last season).

There's 2 issues, the players are arrogant when it comes to playing a 6-10th side and think we'll walk over them, and we either don't have good enough players against the top 4 (or perhaps more likely we have a bottle job mentality seeing as apart from Chelsea we've beaten all the top 5 this season in all comps).

There's lots of its and buts before next season, if united spend then they should walk it, Chelsea have a small squad that's starting to age a bit but have a manager who'll get the best out of his players. We can say they haven't had injuries this season, but they've still been able to sign a £25mil winger in January and then bench him for the rest if the season.

For us our squad on paper is close to being excellent bar a couple of areas, but there's clearly bigger issues than that. We can talk all we like about signings, but we know its unlikely wengs will sign a new GK with Ospina, a new CDM with Coq, a new CB with 3 good options, a Winger with strikers and CM who he can play out of position and ST with Giroud and world superstar Danny up top...
(edited 8 years ago)

you're being too negative lol. it's pretty clear that our mentality as well as our team dynamic has changed after the monaco game which has obviously played a part in our exceptional form, really the only question is can we keep it going over a full season? too soon to tell at the moment but with the way things are looking im fairly confident. while we'll probably never win the CL under Wenger as its just not his forte I think we can definitely challenge on domestic fronts, which is perfectly fine for the position we're in currently. I also agree that before christmas when our form was horrible it was unacceptable to lose against the likes of swansea/southampton etc. but for the moment things are looking up. You can talk about points differences from last year but if you analyse you'll see that the league is much more competitive as a whole this year and therefor the points are distributed more evenly plus the season isn't even over yet and we'll probably at least equal last years record, but not something to crucify our team for if we dont

Are you saying Wenger will refuse to strengthen any area of the team? We're not going to strengthen all of those areas because we simply don't need (don't need a 4th CB) to but its impossible that Wenger is gonna sit back and do nothing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Obviously Jam is trolling but I'd like to just point out that Lucas is our best CM and his injury is amongst the main reasons why we've derailed.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Obviously Jam is trolling but I'd like to just point out that Lucas is our best CM and his injury is amongst the main reasons why we've derailed.

I think the FACT that Lucas is your best CM is the reason you've collapsed...

Latest