The Student Room Group

Will my ISA grade lower my overall Bio grade?

Just found out today from my teacher that my AS Biology ISA grade was a C :frown::frown: I was really hoping for at least a B or an A to boost my bio grade, as it is my weakest subject. All I want to achieve in the exam is an overall C...Is this achievable now i have a C in my ISA? Thanks :frown::frown: :frown:
It should still be possible. It depends on your attainment in the exam. It's done on averages. However, the ISA and exam weighting are't to my knowledge 50:50, so the exam is still your best bet.

Look at it this way:
If you get a C in the exam, you're almost definitely in for a C.

If you get higher than your ISA grade in the exam, the overall mark will be between the two and vice versa if your ISA is higher than the exam. I wouldn't be too disheartened though - GCSE history I achieved a D in the exam but thanks to A* coursework, I got a B.

EDIT: Your exam board may have a UMS or mark calcualtor that allows you to put together marks accurately, like AQA's UMS calculator. I'd search for that - it'd give you a god idea of what to aim for.
(edited 8 years ago)
For AQA science the ISA is 20% of your year's grade and exams make up the other 80%.

If you work hard enough for your exams, even with a C you could get an A overall.

For example, my best 2 ISAs in Physics were C (AS) and D (A2) but I got A's in all four exams so I scored an A at AS and an A at A2, so don't worry, just try your best.
Reply 3
Original post by WiseApple
It should still be possible. It depends on your attainment in the exam. It's done on averages. However, the ISA and exam weighting are't to my knowledge 50:50, so the exam is still your best bet.

Look at it this way:
If you get a C in the exam, you're almost definitely in for a C.

If you get higher than your ISA grade in the exam, the overall mark will be between the two and vice versa if your ISA is higher than the exam. I wouldn't be too disheartened though - GCSE history I achieved a D in the exam but thanks to A* coursework, I got a B.

EDIT: Your exam board may have a UMS or mark calcualtor that allows you to put together marks accurately, like AQA's UMS calculator. I'd search for that - it'd give you a god idea of what to aim for.

Thank you :smile: I will work my hardest for the exam in order to get the C!
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
For AQA science the ISA is 20% of your year's grade and exams make up the other 80%.

If you work hard enough for your exams, even with a C you could get an A overall.

For example, my best 2 ISAs in Physics were C (AS) and D (A2) but I got A's in all four exams so I scored an A at AS and an A at A2, so don't worry, just try your best.

Thanks- thats really made me worry a bit less. I don't usually score very highly in Biology so I really needed some security with my ISA...but I guess that will just make me work harder for the exam:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by alex_1998
Just found out today from my teacher that my AS Biology ISA grade was a C :frown::frown: I was really hoping for at least a B or an A to boost my bio grade, as it is my weakest subject. All I want to achieve in the exam is an overall C...Is this achievable now i have a C in my ISA? Thanks :frown::frown: :frown:

Ahhh, the many struggles of ISA's.... let me offer my services.
The answer to your rather poorly structured but straight to the point question, is Yes my friend. The ISA will most likely make up around 25% of your overall grade so if you perform in weakly in your exam, then it will boost up your grade. However, as a voice of experience, I would like to hope that one with your capabilities would be aiming a little higher.
Thank you for your time, hope this helps, Kind regards, LBBJ :smile:
Reply 6
Hey guys is anyone doing aqa A2 biology unit 6X as an isa if so I desperately need some help doing my Biology A2 privately so I have no teacher to help. it would mean so much to me thank u

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by LBBJ
Ahhh, the many struggles of ISA's.... let me offer my services.
The answer to your rather poorly structured but straight to the point question, is Yes my friend. The ISA will most likely make up around 25% of your overall grade so if you perform in weakly in your exam, then it will boost up your grade. However, as a voice of experience, I would like to hope that one with your capabilities would be aiming a little higher.
Thank you for your time, hope this helps, Kind regards, LBBJ :smile:

Poorly structured? Yes, I'm trying my hardest at the moment! Thanks. :smile:
Hi, was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I need an A overall in biology but I got a D/E in my isa. I don't even know what happened because obviously we aren't allowed to see our paper. Is it still possible for me to get an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a high B in my isa and I think I've done okay on unit 2 and 3 papers. Is it likely I will get a C grade? That's all I want is a C x

Quick Reply

Latest