The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
Self-employed. Tks for your concern.

Lol you dont count doll payments as self employment. If anything th@ts government employment
Original post by Renascence
Hello all, I was hoping you guys could help me out with the situation I'm in right now.

So I've been offered a place at Cambridge to study Economics, but I'm now having doubts about what course I really want to do. To be honest, I only chose econ at the start of the year because I thought it would help my career options the most (and I do actually like it quite a lot), but I've realised the subject I'm most passionate about is Physics. I've looked up the Natsci course for Cambridge, and there are a lot of courses that really interest me throughout the 4 years. I know that this is quite a leap. I emailed Cambridge admissions a couple of weeks ago to see whether they could clarify my future options, but they just advised me to email my college now. What do guys think I should do? I fear my offer will be rescinded if I email my college (which I don't want to happen because I would still love to learn economics, I just prefer Physics), so I reckon it would be wiser to ask about a course change once (if) I'm there in October? I really have no idea what to do tbh.

Additional info: I'm predicted A* in maths, further maths and physics, but just an A in economics (offer is A* in FM and economics, A in maths/physics - I know I will need 4A* if I want to be admitted and switch to Physical Natsci).

Hello all, I was hoping you guys could help me out with the situation I'm in right now.

So I've been offered a place at Cambridge to study Economics, but I'm now having doubts about what course I really want to do. To be honest, I only chose econ at the start of the year because I thought it would help my career options the most (and I do actually like it quite a lot), but I've realised the subject I'm most passionate about is Physics. I've looked up the Natsci course for Cambridge, and there are a lot of courses that really interest me throughout the 4 years. I know that this is quite a leap. I emailed Cambridge admissions a couple of weeks ago to see whether they could clarify my future options, but they just advised me to email my college now. What do guys think I should do? I fear my offer will be rescinded if I email my college (which I don't want to happen because I would still love to learn economics, I just prefer Physics), so I reckon it would be wiser to ask about a course change once (if) I'm there in October? I really have no idea what to do tbh.

Additional info: I'm predicted A* in maths, further maths and physics, but just an A in economics (offer is A* in FM and economics, A in maths/physics - I know I will need 4A* if I want to be admitted and switch to Physical Natsci).

i asked christs admissions tutor for you
He said email your college and they wont takw away your offer
Original post by jneill
Self-employed. Tks for your concern.

Do you not get bored?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HeavisideDelts
Hes unemployed

Classic
Original post by HeavisideDelts
Lol you dont count doll payments as self employment. If anything th@ts government employment

*Dole. Why are you being so unpleasant, he's helped so many Cambridge applicants, and I don't see how his employment status is relevant either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cerlohee
*Dole. Why are you being so unpleasant, he's helped so many Cambridge applicants, and I don't see how his employment status is relevant either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with you
Original post by EHZ17
I heard the academic focus at emma is only rivalled by Trinity? Is there any truth in that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There really isn't focus on academic rivalry. I haven't heard any thing of sort since I've been here, it never gets mentioned. Nobody really cares how well other colleges do here.
Reply 1967
Original post by MrDobney
There really isn't focus on academic rivalry. I haven't heard any thing of sort since I've been here, it never gets mentioned. Nobody really cares how well other colleges do here.

you read it wrong mate, they said academic focus not academic rivalry, theyre talking about how much pressure there is to work hard at each college
Original post by physicsmaths
Anyone else get an email about accomadation from UCAS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did, was it about Downing? (Even though my offer's not from there)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laurensmiley97

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was a private company called Downing I think. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrDobney

safeee then

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yhh. Looked really nice tbh. They said at the bottom they are not affiliated with downing at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Yhh. Looked really nice tbh. They said at the bottom they are not affiliated with downing at all.

Original post by HopefulLawyerHG
It was a private company called Downing I think. :-)

Oh I musn't have read it properly! It does look very nice, I wonder how it works as I was under the impression that we got accomodation through our college.
Oh I musn't have read it properly! It does look very nice, I wonder how it works as I was under the impression that we got accomodation through our college.

You do. In almost all cases.

Posted from TSR Mobile

UCAS is just spreading advertisements - I also got emails about accommodation in London. This accommodation may be, got example, more useful for Anglia Ruskin students who have to find their own place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol yeah why would anyone choose that though unless they're ARU since its considerably more expensive than college accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm having the same doubts, but with different courses. If you do write, please let me know what comes of it. I really don't know what to do!
Can anyone on here help me with a UMS issue? The way A*s work is very confusing with A2 and I think my dreadful maths skills are really starting to show...

If I need 90% overall at A2 (not worrying about AS), and I already know I've full marks in 20% of the A2 course, does that mean I could just get 80 UMS in the exam (which constitutes 80% of the grade) and still get an A*? I'm doing AQA, so I just need 80% overall and 90% at A2 for an A*.

This sounds wrong to me, but I'm so confused. For some reason I thought I needed a minimum of 86 UMS for that, but now I don't know.
Well, IB exams start tomorrow...
Good luck to everyone! May the fourth be with us all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Can anyone on here help me with a UMS issue? The way A*s work is very confusing with A2 and I think my dreadful maths skills are really starting to show...

If I need 90% overall at A2 (not worrying about AS), and I already know I've full marks in 20% of the A2 course, does that mean I could just get 80 UMS in the exam (which constitutes 80% of the grade) and still get an A*? I'm doing AQA, so I just need 80% overall and 90% at A2 for an A*.

This sounds wrong to me, but I'm so confused. For some reason I thought I needed a minimum of 86 UMS for that, but now I don't know.

What is it out of?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending