The Student Room Group

What realistic chances do i have of getting into Oxford for PPE?

Hello, I am currently studying my A levels and am in year 12, aged 17. Alongside my education, i set up and run my own organisation.

As well as my work through activism, i have terrible GCSE grades, i got 2A's and 5 C's, A's only in IT and urdu. At AS, i am studying IT, Urdu, Applied science and business studies. I think that i may get BBBC or ABBC a AS level. I have had a child long dream to get into Oxford university to study PPE as i have immense passion for that subject. Would Oxford take a look at my work and leadership away from my academics and consider me for PPE. What are my actual chances of getting into PPE at oxford? Would it be worth me applying to Oxford? What are the minimum grades that i must achieve at As level or A level to make sure that i get a firm offer from Oxford? Thank you.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by suhofficial
Hello, I am currently studying my A levels and am in year 12, aged 17. Alongside my education, i set up and run my own organisation campaigning for peace human rights, justice and education around the world. For this, i have also visited Auschwitz in the past 2 months. I have gained international recognition for this work, have been nominated for the international children peace prize 2015 award. I have also been invited to 10 downing street recently by the Prime minister at a reception. A few months ago, i was also invited to address the house of lords, where i addressed all he lords. I am leading a campaign now to build a few schools and provide education to those who are unfortunate around the world. So far, i have gained letters of support from 25 MP's and many government ministers. You can view more about my work on our website: Movementforpeaceglobal.org.

As well as my work through activism, i have terrible GCSE grades, i got 2A's and 5 C's, A's only in IT and urdu. At AS, i am studying IT, Urdu, Applied science and business studies. I think that i may get BBBC or ABBC a AS level. I have had a child long dream to get into Oxford university to study PPE as i have immense passion for that subject. Would Oxford take a look at my work and leadership away from my academics and consider me for PPE. What are my actual chances of getting into PPE at oxford? Would it be worth me applying to Oxford? What are the minimum grades that i must achieve at As level or A level to make sure that i get a firm offer from Oxford? Thank you.

Your gcse are way too low for Oxford. Sorry but they are

At A2 you would need A*AA minimum and I'm not sure how they'd react to the fact you aren't offering any humanity or essay based subjects. They don't specify what subjects you need to take but the ones you are taking seem like an odd combo for an essay based course
Reply 2
You sound brilliant at what you do and certainly have the passion to do Oxford PPE, but ultimately don't meet the requirements. You need to study A level maths for the economics component, and your GCSE's really aren't up to scratch in comparison to the average PPE applicant. There is very little flexibility for allowing people in without the minimum required grades
Reply 3
Original post by Aloogobi123
Your gcse are way too low for Oxford. Sorry but they are

At A2 you would need A*AA minimum and I'm not sure how they'd react to the fact you aren't offering any humanity or essay based subjects. They don't specify what subjects you need to take but the ones you are taking seem like an odd combo for an essay based course

The requirement is AAA no?
Original post by anonlad
The requirement is AAA no?

My mistake. It is AAA

I was getting confused with Cambridge who set A*AA for all non-science degrees.
Reply 5
I wanted to choose essay based subjects and maths, but unfortunately realised that after i had chosen my A level options, i seriously regret it.
Reply 6
Original post by anonlad
You sound brilliant at what you do and certainly have the passion to do Oxford PPE, but ultimately don't meet the requirements. You need to study A level maths for the economics component, and your GCSE's really aren't up to scratch in comparison to the average PPE applicant. There is very little flexibility for allowing people in without the minimum required grades

Is there any chance that they may be flexible with me due to the work i do outside academics?
Reply 7
Original post by Aloogobi123
My mistake. It is AAA

I was getting confused with Cambridge who set A*AA for all non-science degrees.

Wouldn't they consider me without those grades? or due to the work that i do outside academics? i have the passion and determination to work hard.
Is there any chance that they may be flexible with me due to the work i do outside academics?

I would highly doubt it. Oxford couldn't care less about extra curricular. Take that from someone who has a brother and a sister who've attended and countless friends who have recently received decisions.
Reply 9
Original post by cleverasvoltaire
I would highly doubt it. Oxford couldn't care less about extra curricular. Take that from someone who has a brother and a sister who've attended and countless friends who have recently received decisions.

oh! i have many advisers who went to cambridge and said that if i get one A and the rest B's, i have a very strong chance to get in, as my work outside would balance everything
I am confident that if i make the interview page, i will make it, as i naturally good with interviews. This is because i regular have interviews with the press. Is there anyway that i can make the interview phrase. i am the first person from the UK to be nominate for the international children's peace prizes, in the entire history of the prize.
i have no issues with writing long essays, i write articles for local newspapers as well so have no problems with writing, i love writing!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
I am confident that if i make the interview page, i will make it, as i naturally good with interviews. This is because i regular have interviews with the press. Is there anyway that i can make the interview phrase. i am the first person from the UK to be nominate for the international children's peace prizes, in the entire history of the prize.

If you get to the interview stage, you might well get in. But with your GCSE results and A level subjects being what they are, you're unfortunately extremely unlikely to be called to interview. You might have more luck with American universities, as they tend to be much more interested in this level of extra-curricular commitment.
Original post by BJack
If you get to the interview stage, you might well get in. But with your GCSE results and A level subjects being what they are, you're unfortunately extremely unlikely to be called to interview. You might have more luck with American universities, as they tend to be much more interested in this level of extra-curricular commitment.

You mean universities like Yale or Harvard?
You mean universities like Yale or Harvard?

You'd definitely have a chance at those. US unis, especially the top ones accept a wide range of grades, and really like to see extra-curricular work and to see interesting people. I geniunely believe you'd definitely get into one of the top universities there, Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Princeton and Caltech are all really good and due to them being private, they offer financial aid even to non US citizens, meaning that you could be helped with finances if that is an issue. I strongly recommend that you look into those, because with your achievements you have a huge chance of getting in.

Oxbridge only care about academics, they don't care if you've been to the moon, try US unis, but you may as well try Oxford but you're waaay more likely to get accepted to a US uni.

EDIT: Look here, you can see even people with poor academic performance get accepted, although it's obviously less likely. http://collegeapps.about.com/od/GPA-SAT-ACT-Graphs/ss/princeton-admission-gpa-sat-act.htm
(edited 8 years ago)
Is this seriously true that i have a better chance of getting into Yale or Harvard, than i do of getting into Oxford?
Original post by anonlad

You don't need maths
Hello, I am currently studying my A levels and am in year 12, aged 17. Alongside my education, i set up and run my own organisation campaigning for peace human rights, justice and education around the world. For this, i have also visited Auschwitz in the past 2 months. I have gained international recognition for this work, have been nominated for the international children peace prize 2015 award. I have also been invited to 10 downing street recently by the Prime minister at a reception. A few months ago, i was also invited to address the house of lords, where i addressed all he lords. I am leading a campaign now to build a few schools and provide education to those who are unfortunate around the world. So far, i have gained letters of support from 25 MP's and many government ministers. You can view more about my work on our website: Movementforpeaceglobal.org.

Sorry but your not getting into Oxford to study PPE.
You are wasting your time applying.

Do really well in your degree and you'll stand a good chance
for postgraduate at Oxford though.
You won't get in.
Original post by DoubleOG
You'd definitely have a chance at those. US unis, especially the top ones accept a wide range of grades, and really like to see extra-curricular work and to see interesting people. I geniunely believe you'd definitely get into one of the top universities there, Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Princeton and Caltech are all really good and due to them being private, they offer financial aid even to non US citizens, meaning that you could be helped with finances if that is an issue. I strongly recommend that you look into those, because with your achievements you have a huge chance of getting in.

Oxbridge only care about academics, they don't care if you've been to the moon, try US unis, but you may as well try Oxford but you're waaay more likely to get accepted to a US uni.

EDIT: Look here, you can see even people with poor academic performance get accepted, although it's obviously less likely. http://collegeapps.about.com/od/GPA-SAT-ACT-Graphs/ss/princeton-admission-gpa-sat-act.htm

Is this seriously true that i have a better chance of getting into Yale or Harvard, than i do of getting into Oxford?

Quick Reply

Latest