The Student Room Group

Biology Q help

Okay i don't know how to answer this question:

Explain how its possible to have so many different types of biological molecules from a limited amount of monomers.

I've put this, but don't think its correct:
It’s possible to have so many different types of biological molecules from a limited amount of monomers as monomers can form long chains to form a polymer. For instance, fatty acids (monomer/monosaccaride) can form a Polymer to produce Triglycerides (Carbohydrate). Also, monomers can break and form bonds via condensation reaction and hydrolysis.
(as Glucose is a type of Carbohydrate) as monomers can form long chains
anyone?
Original post by Uz25
Okay i don't know how to answer this question:

Explain how its possible to have so many different types of biological molecules from a limited amount of monomers.

I've put this, but don't think its correct:
It’s possible to have so many different types of biological molecules from a limited amount of monomers as monomers can form long chains to form a polymer. For instance, fatty acids (monomer/monosaccaride) can form a Polymer to produce Triglycerides (Carbohydrate). Also, monomers can break and form bonds via condensation reaction and hydrolysis.
(as Glucose is a type of Carbohydrate) as monomers can form long chains

You're answer is fairly correct but you also have to say that it is due to hydrogen bonds and covalent bonds forming between them as well as oppositely charged groups.. Also the bond that formed from two monomers. For example ester bond in lipids. Lastly look at their properties this will give you the marks 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Simple_student
You're answer is fairly correct but you also have to say that it is due to hydrogen bonds and covalent bonds forming between them as well as oppositely charged groups.. Also the bond that formed from two monomers. For example ester bond in lipids. Lastly look at their properties this will give you the marks 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. Basically we did an paper chromatography experiment and have an assignment in it. The q is kinda related to what I said but the teacher gave us an example like e.g. why can u get cellulose, phospholipids. E.t.c. from a protein
Original post by Uz25
Thanks. Basically we did an paper chromatography experiment and have an assignment in it. The q is kinda related to what I said but the teacher gave us an example like e.g. why can u get cellulose, phospholipids. E.t.c. from a protein

Yeah.. And I think proteins isn't a monomer of carbs and also don't have alpha and beta glucose .. You gotta remember that protein has 4 different structures and it's for metabolic roles in the body... And cellulose is insoluble in water so it's beneficial for structural roles 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest