The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
In all honesty don't think Chelsea's aim was to not let you play us off the park.

He's better than Allen and Gerrard there I guess.

He's a very fine midfielder. Just lost physicality and pace because of successive knee injuries.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
He's a very fine midfielder. Just lost physicality and pace because of successive knee injuries.

Well can you afford a guy who's lost his physicality but is good technically? He's not got enough technical ability to make up for that even if he is good technically?

Obviously he shouldn't be first out of the door(that belongs to Joe Allen) but he's not good enough to start for a title winning team.
Original post by leinad2012
I'm just saying we've seen it all before, all we've done is managed to mix together our 2013 and 2014 campaign into 1 season. Sometimes I feel there's progress then others like the last week where I've looked back at the stays and all they show is that there hasn't been any.

Cazorla wasn't anywhere near the player he is today 2 season ago when Wenger signed Ozil and we didn't have an out and out LW so you can't use Walcott as a counterexample to the Sanchez transfer. I'm just being realistic, we won't sign a cb, we probably won't sign a keeper, wengs will risk coq over signing back up so the only marquee signing we're likely to get is a striker, of which there are very few on the market which are worth £40mil price tag.

I don't want Walcott sold, the fact that people have forgotten how good he was a few years ago just because he hasn't banged in 1 a game since his return is laughable (especially seeing as he scored a fair few straight after his return). I have faith he'll be a 15 goal winger next season and would fit in with our style provided we play Jenko at rb over bellerin or debuchy.

Welbeck is a flop, he was signed as a striker and has played on the wing to accommodate him, and he isn't good enough in either position. If we wanted a new rw, we should have signed a winger, not a striker who is know to dislike playing on wing. Tbh I get the feeling he was only signed as a stand in for this season whilst Walcott gets back to fitness and can now still be sold while retaining value (probs why we wanted a loan).

Lol Cazorla along with Walcott were the only reasons why we got through that season, the latter being one of the best CAMs in the premier league at that point. Again all speculation, being obtuse for no reason by suggesting he wont be looking to improve the current squad.

No ones forgotten how good he was or his talent but with the current system we are playing, Welbeck still offers more on the wing as a complete player than Walcott has shown to be capable. Sure Walcott could improve to fit better with our team and don't explicitly want him to be sold with any urgency or anything (great option to have off the bench in certain games) but if he wants to leave because we aren't putting him in our first 11 all the time then i'm indifferent and he'd be stupid to be asking for a significant bump in his wages too. Not all about goals btw, which is why people seem to shun Welbeck in favour of Walcott constantly even though the former is much more involved in games, but if Walcott was to add more to his game (defensively and link up mainly) which is entirely possible (becoming less likely though) then he could quite easily reclaim Welbecks spot. Welbeck is certainly not a flop just because he's a donkey infront of goal though. People seem to be calling for Walcotts inclusion in games i.e Chelsea where he was ineffective, I know he was only on for a few minutes but if he wants a starting spot he deffo needs to become more involved in team play.

Still not rating Bellerin ey? wonder if the boy will have to pocket Messi on top of having succesfully dealt with the likes of Cout, Sterling, Hazard, Silva before getting an honourable mention in our squad next year. Him and Jenko are our best RBs in all honesty, the only thing Debuchy has on both is experience but ability wise they have/will be above him by the end of next season anyway.
Original post by jam277
Well can you afford a guy who's lost his physicality but is good technically? He's not got enough technical ability to make up for that even if he is good technically?

Obviously he shouldn't be first out of the door(that belongs to Joe Allen) but he's not good enough to start for a title winning team.

He's a DM. His technical ability is more than adequate for his role. He's not Pablo Aimar but he doesn't need to be. He needs to shadow players, cover space, intercept, tackle, win headers and shield his CBs. And he does that as good as any DM in the league. He also needs to prevent people dribbling past him, and be quick horizontally, and there he's not so brilliant. On the whole, more than adequate.

He's not good enough for a title winning team, but I never claimed he was. He'll probably leave this summer and we're fools for letting it happen.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest

Welbeck is certainly not a flop just because he's a donkey infront of goal though

Lol he clearly is a flop. Guy was brought in as a striker otherwise he could've played as our bitch on the wing but Wenger realised he's **** up front so he does dog work for you lot now. Good squad player though. In all honesty we should've kept him as he's quite a good winger in some regards.
Welbeck is a flop, he was signed as a striker and has played on the wing to accommodate him, and he isn't good enough in either position. If we wanted a new rw, we should have signed a winger, not a striker who is know to dislike playing on wing.
Every United fan told you this was coming from the moment he was signed. He's proven he is a decent player but not that he is one who is good enough for a top side, and he's had his chances. LVG was 100% right to sell him if it meant giving Wilson game time.

BIG BIG place to fill when terry leaves though. You're right they are in their prime and will be for another year or two, but they're a 14 man squad realistically, a few injuries and they're ****ed.
They say its not luck if its repeated and Chelsea's injury free season, history suggests is very repeatable. They have Zouma who looks pretty capable. Probably the area of the pitch Jose is most capable of making perform too.

You can easily spend another £150mil this season buying a new cb and fullback, new cm and winger if you wanted, Rooney Hernandez up top would surely suffice for next season?
I don't think we actually have that much money this season. Hernandez is off think that is clear. Rooney and RVP probably would suffice but suffice probably doesn't win the title when it comes to strikers.
dont get why people are being negative.

I mean, sure there are many occasions to be negative.. but right now? things are looking pretty good.

As things stand we may improve on our league position by 2 places, and retain a major trophy?

We are the inform side of 2015, and the team is playing pretty well..

I agree that our away form against top opponents needs to be better, and last season was absolutly dire in that regard.. but honestly, I look at our squad now, and I look at our recent transfers, and I am the most excited I have been about arsenal in a long while.

We are actually spending these days, and the result of that is that we have the most complete squad in years. This year we will spend again, and add even more quality. We are not loosing big players each window, and we are on course to win 2 trophies in 2 years... AFTER A DECADE OF NOTHING.

And yet people are negative?

Jeeze, get things into prespective.. we could be liverpool - collapsing completly and missing out on CL more years then not.. Or actually we could be united. Missed out on CL this year, and dispite spending 150m and bringing in a new manager, they still will finish behind us in the league, and win nothing.

Or we could just be spurs. lol.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
He's a DM. His technical ability is more than adequate for his role. He's not Pablo Aimar but he doesn't need to be. He needs to shadow players, cover space, intercept, tackle, win headers and shield his CBs. And he does that as good as any DM in the league. He also needs to prevent people dribbling past him, and be quick horizontally, and there he's not so brilliant. On the whole, more than adequate.

He's not good enough for a title winning team, but I never claimed he was. He'll probably leave this summer and we're fools for letting it happen.

Fair enough with the first bit

In all honesty a top 4 chasing team should be synonymous with winning the title anyway.
0 trophies in 9 years to 1 in 10, 2 in 11, 3 in 12 etc. Only stops looking bad once it's 9 in 18.
Original post by shawn_o1
0 trophies in 9 years to 1 in 10, 2 in 11, 3 in 12 etc. Only stops looking bad once it's 9 in 18.

Or you could think of it as 1 in 1 and 2 in 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam277
Fair enough with the first bit

In all honesty a top 4 chasing team should be synonymous with winning the title anyway.

I agree that should be the aim, but just highlighting how Lucas is actually a great player, just injury prone. The meaning of 'good enough for a title winning team' has lost all value, seeing as Flanagan, Cissokho, Allen were all inches from winning a title. I agree that they were in less influential positions but meh. We have more pressing concerns than replacing him right now.
Original post by Arkasia
We have a real shot at 2nd place and retaining the FA Cup, how is this not progress? Also, last week we drew 0-0 against the run-away league leaders, compared to the 6-0 dicking we took last season, this was promising. Cazorla was rated something like 10th best player in the world when he joined us, he is showing the form he had right before we signed him, it's just his 2014 dip that exaggerates this and makes it seem like he has advanced massively. We may not sign a CB, although I think we might sign a versatile defender who can play across the back line. We won't sign a keeper because Szczesny is honestly a good keeper who could turn out world class, and in the meantime we have Ospina, a more than competent keeper, to cover for him. I think we might sign a DM/Arteta style deep-lying playmaker, and a forward player like Dybala, a role I think Wenger wanted Welbeck to make his own (and he has been effective in that role, if not having the stats to back him up).

I agree with you on the Walcott situation, which is nice I guess :yy:

But I don't think we've got better, just those around us are worse, we're still likely to only finish a point better than last season. And we didn't lose 6-0 at home to Chelsea last season, we drew 0-0, last season we took 1 point in the head to head, we've dine the same this year?

Deep lying playmaker, I wonder who that could have been...
Lol Cazorla along with Walcott were the only reasons why we got through that season, the latter being one of the best CAMs in the premier league at that point. Again all speculation, being obtuse for no reason by suggesting he wont be looking to improve the current squad.

No ones forgotten how good he was or his talent but with the current system we are playing, Welbeck still offers more on the wing as a complete player than Walcott has shown to be capable. Sure Walcott could improve to fit better with our team and don't explicitly want him to be sold with any urgency or anything (great option to have off the bench in certain games) but if he wants to leave because we aren't putting him in our first 11 all the time then i'm indifferent and he'd be stupid to be asking for a significant bump in his wages too. Not all about goals btw, which is why people seem to shun Welbeck in favour of Walcott constantly even though the former is much more involved in games, but if Walcott was to add more to his game (defensively and link up mainly) which is entirely possible (becoming less likely though) then he could quite easily reclaim Welbecks spot. Welbeck is certainly not a flop just because he's a donkey infront of goal though. People seem to be calling for Walcotts inclusion in games i.e Chelsea where he was ineffective, I know he was only on for a few minutes but if he wants a starting spot he deffo needs to become more involved in team play.

Still not rating Bellerin ey? wonder if the boy will have to pocket Messi on top of having succesfully dealt with the likes of Cout, Sterling, Hazard, Silva before getting an honourable mention in our squad next year. Him and Jenko are our best RBs in all honesty, the only thing Debuchy has on both is experience but ability wise they have/will be above him by the end of next season anyway.

I rate Bellerin, but he only works when there's a defensive minded winger in front of him. Him and Walcott on right flank would be ideal if you're a 12 year old on Fifa, but I. Real life you're ****ed defensively
The best time to look at potential problems is when you're doing well, fix the roof when it isn't leaking
Original post by IceyFish
Lol he clearly is a flop. Guy was brought in as a striker otherwise he could've played as our bitch on the wing but Wenger realised he's **** up front so he does dog work for you lot now. Good squad player though. In all honesty we should've kept him as he's quite a good winger in some regards.

The dog work he does is pretty valuable to our team regardless. Stopping counters and tactical nous (i.e knowing when to narrow play/hug the touch line or stay deep etc. etc.) are his biggest strengths over Walcott and while he can stretch play and get behind defences like Walcott he hasn't got that clinical edge to him, but its not much of a problem (still frustrating) because we have goalscorers all over the pitch. Agree that Welbeck is **** up front as a lone striker, he doesn't possess any of the required qualities to a high enough level to do it but as a Winger he's a good enough player. Would buy him again if offered in the same circumstances which is why I don't see him as a flop.
Original post by fallen_acorns
and retain a major trophy?
Which side was it that won it the year before you? Who played you in the final last year, who are you playing this year? Its a nice trophy to win, particularly in combination with a league title, but its hardly the CL. Getting to the final is quite clearly on the basis of previous finalists of poor indicator of quality, and beating a team escaping relegation doesn't add much more to that.

The fact remains, as in previous years you where a considerable margin off the title (a slightly better also ran), and in Europe you messed up the group stage (again) and exited at the R16 (again). Progress made by Arsenal this season in terms of performance is marginal at best, mere fluctuation quite possibly.
Original post by Fizzel
Progress made by Arsenal this season in terms of performance is marginal at best, mere fluctuation quite possibly.

They've shown more maturity in the big PL games, forget the CL for now. I think that alone, Wenger finally yielding and being more pragmatic, constitutes a lot of progress.
I rate Bellerin, but he only works when there's a defensive minded winger in front of him. Him and Walcott on right flank would be ideal if you're a 12 year old on Fifa, but I. Real life you're ****ed defensively

Yet people still were calling for Walcott to start when we had Debuchy out because he can "get behind defences" as if teams make it that easy these days. Bellerin isn't even bad defensively, yet to see anyone prove the myth that he gets ripped by any pacy forward because he's too high up the pitch. Generally agree though which is why Ramsey/Bellerin work well on the wing, think they have good synergy whereas Debuchy/Ramsey just didn't click against Reading for example.
Original post by Fizzel
Which side was it that won it the year before you? Who played you in the final last year, who are you playing this year? Its a nice trophy to win, particularly in combination with a league title, but its hardly the CL. Getting to the final is quite clearly on the basis of previous finalists of poor indicator of quality, and beating a team escaping relegation doesn't add much more to that.

The fact remains, as in previous years you where a considerable margin off the title (a slightly better also ran), and in Europe you messed up the group stage (again) and exited at the R16 (again). Progress made by Arsenal this season in terms of performance is marginal at best, mere fluctuation quite possibly.

not arguing that it is on the same level as the CL or league - its certainly below both.

But I would put it in the catagory of major trophies.. all top teams in leagues have 3 major trophies to win:

Europaen cup
National league
national cup

--

As for progress:

as it stands, we will finish 7pts off the lead. Looking back it looks like:

7pts, 7pts, 16pts, 19pts, 12pts, 11pts, 18pts, 4pts

So you have to go back 8 seasons, until you find us closer to the title then we have been this and last season.

Our points totals also reflect this:

(potential) 79-82, 79, 73, 70, 75, 72, 83

I think its pretty clear to see that we have bassically had a massive dip in between cycles, as wenger re-builds a new squad.

He built a squad, post-invicibles, that peaked around 2008-10.. which started to do alright, a cup final, a decent points total..

But then our best players were sold off, and that squad fell appart.

Since then we have been re-building, and working to a new core of players, and the results have gradually improved back to where they were at our best.

-- The key difference that should make arsenal fans confident though, is that unlike that squad in 2008, our current squad already has won a trophy, and may win a 2nd this year.. that winning mentality is crucial, and this squad does seem to have it more, and less of a tendancy to bottle it, then the last squad wenger built.
The dog work he does is pretty valuable to our team regardless. Stopping counters and tactical nous (i.e knowing when to narrow play/hug the touch line or stay deep etc. etc.) are his biggest strengths over Walcott and while he can stretch play and get behind defences like Walcott he hasn't got that clinical edge to him, but its not much of a problem (still frustrating) because we have goalscorers all over the pitch. Agree that Welbeck is **** up front as a lone striker, he doesn't possess any of the required qualities to a high enough level to do it but as a Winger he's a good enough player. Would buy him again if offered in the same circumstances which is why I don't see him as a flop.

Yeah I guess so, he makes sense if you're thinking about Arsenal's lack of work rate up top but he's not the most technical player. I guess it could be argued to show a measure of pragmatism from Wenger, in the sense that he's finally willing to drop the jizzfest over technically skilled offensively minded playmakers on the wing and fit some hardworking industrious players into the side. You could probably upgrade but it's not too much of a problem for now, a CF is definitely needed though as Giroud is either not good enough (which I believe personally), or exposed with no back-up.

Latest