The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature GCSE 2015 JUNE SUMMER *OFFICIAL THREAD* OMAM AIC

Scroll to see replies

Les Grands Seigneurs came up last year, as did On a Portrait of a Deaf Man. The only poems yet to come up are Brendon Gallacher, TRM and Give, I believe. However I have seen on various posts on different Character and Voice threads from previous years that these poems only come up on foundation, but I have no idea whether this is true as I personally haven't been told this by my teacher, so I'm just going to revise all the poems in case. I think it's likely that we'll get at least one repeated poem. I think possibly My last duchess, The clown punk or Ozymandias, but they are complete guesses- it seems impossible to predict this year!
Does anyone have the mark scheme for the foundation june 2014 paper?
Original post by _ariane29

Here you go everyone. :itsme:I'm really skeptical about this hypothesis someone proposed, it has seemed to work in the past but this question (part a) Is very similar to last years higher question, but please don't rely on this. (Foundation 2014 OMAM AQA)
:goodluck: to everyone sitting this exam

For all of you who do not know, there is a pattern in the last few years exams, that means that the year before foundation question is always similar to the next years higher question. So this is the 2014 foundation question, meaning we could have a question similar to this this year :smile:

Do you have the mark scheme for this paper please?
Original post by NayanWagz
Do you have the mark scheme for this paper please?

No I am sorry. It should be similar to the 2013 mark scheme though. They are all marked across the same criteria :smile: I had to get the paper from secure access, the mark scheme wont be released until late next month I believe.
Reply 144
Original post by youreanutter
aha doing the same as you and i have the same predictions and so does everyone for OMAM so hopefully we are right
any predictions for poetry?

Same predictions for Curley or Candy ?

Poetry: my teacher hasnt got any predictions since they have all more or less come up before. However "come on come back" was mentioned in last years paper so maybe we can rule out that ?

But obviously not sure haha :smile:

Wbu any predictions ???
Original post by tara_v
Same predictions for Curley or Candy ?

Poetry: my teacher hasnt got any predictions since they have all more or less come up before. However "come on come back" was mentioned in last years paper so maybe we can rule out that ?

But obviously not sure haha :smile:

Wbu any predictions ???

yeah OMAM has to be curley or candy so like eveyone else gonna mainly focus on them to an inspector calls our teacher was saying either gerald or sheila is most likely but not mr birling as he's came up twice and poetry absolutely no idea
Reply 146
hey im doing of mice and men, an inspector calls and the conflict section of poetry - I really need help with the poetry predictions pls? any ideas either about wht it could be or wht it shouldn't?
ps I have read other comments but there was little said on poetry conflict
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by GCSE student 1
Thanks for the advice.

I also need a bit more help. I've been revising 'The Crucible' and I have been looking at the theme of reputation and ones name, however I'm struggling to find/come up with any decent essay plans/ideas. Do you think you could help me out?

well you could always talk about through the importance of reputation to different characters so maybe something like:
point 1: Proctor has built up a lot of respect for his name/reputation which is why it's so hard for him to confess to the affair 'I have given yo my soul, please leave me my name'

point 2: Parris does not want his good name to be tarnished either. Parris is known throughout the town as a church figure. Without it he'd be nothing. (quote about there's a faction that working against him or something like that')

point 3: Danforth eventually realises that he is hanging innocent people but he won't stop for fear it will ruin his reputation.

point 4 Abigail starts off with the low status of an orphan; she eventually builds up he reputation for 'doing Gods work' 'Goody Proctor is a cold, sniveling woman. I will not have my name blackened blah blah')

then make sure for context you talk about the importance of reputation in a Puritan society, how people would do anything to acquire a reputation - link this to how people in the McCarthyism era would accuse anyone of communism to acquire a reputation etc.

sorry if its a really bad plan; i tried:biggrin:
Original post by kingaaran
My prediction for all the questions and extracts in both my literature exams were all right. So, do predict and anticipate, but don't depend on them: make sure you've honed the necessary skills and have the ability to answer questions on any theme/character/symbol in the text you're studying for Section A of Unit 1, in particular. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey Im new here. Could u please predict what can come this year? Exam is In 2 weeks and I am defo panicking...please help!! I am doing omam, sunlight and grass and relationship cluster xx
thanks xx
Reply 149
Original post by dancemoms99
Does anyone have any predictions for Higher OMAM, WIB and Conflict Cluster? And the 'unseen' poem?

Personally, I'm hoping for:

OMAM: Curley and Bullying/Outcasts in the time of the novel

WIB: Some kind of question on the role Mr Bentley plays in creating foreshadowing

Conflict: Belfast Confetti or Mametz Wood, if Next to Of Course God America or Come On Come Back comes up I'm screwed :smile:)))

These are NOT predictions, I honestly don't have a clue. Just what I hope for :smile:

Why? have you got some pointers that you can share, please tell. (for OMAN)
Reply 150
POETRY CONFLICT CLUSTER PREDICTIONS PLEASE? sorry for caps just wanna b noticed :smile: also doent hav to b predictions, can b ones tht will b v. unlikely too
Reply 151
OMAM / RELATIONSHIP CLUSTER / SHORT STORIES PREDICTIONS ? (sorry for shouting)
Reply 152
Original post by aigroeg
POETRY CONFLICT CLUSTER PREDICTIONS PLEASE? sorry for caps just wanna b noticed :smile: also doent hav to b predictions, can b ones tht will b v. unlikely too

Predicting for poetry is difficult since there are so many, however we are able to rule some out (not that this is definite, they may throw a curveball and give us the same poems) :smile:

Out of the Blue and Come on Come back came up in last years paper.

Mametz Wood and The Yellow Palm came up the year before.

Maybe we can rule these out ? But obviously it is very unpredictable.
My teacer says The Charge of the Light Brigrade is quite likely, but obviously this is just a logical guess! :smile:
Reply 153
Original post by tara_v
Predicting for poetry is difficult since there are so many, however we are able to rule some out (not that this is definite, they may throw a curveball and give us the same poems) :smile:

Out of the Blue and Come on Come back came up in last years paper.

Mametz Wood and The Yellow Palm came up the year before.

Maybe we can rule these out ? But obviously it is very unpredictable.
My teacer says The Charge of the Light Brigrade is quite likely, but obviously this is just a logical guess! :smile:

thanku so much :smile: im not tht good with the poetry so want to be sure I don't waste too much of time but dw dw - im not saying I wont revise these nd will then go crazy if they do appear ^.^
Reply 154
Original post by aigroeg
thanku so much :smile: im not tht good with the poetry so want to be sure I don't waste too much of time but dw dw - im not saying I wont revise these nd will then go crazy if they do appear ^.^

My mistake, the year before last was actually Yellow Palm and Hawk Roosting (not Mametz Wood)

Remember for this section there are two questions to chose from so I'm sure one of them will be more preferable to you :smile:

Poetry is definitely the hardest part of English Lit so you're not the only one don't worry :wink:
Original post by tara_v

Poetry is definitely the hardest part of English Lit so you're not the only one don't worry :wink:

Oh no - am I the only one who finds prose much harder?? I feel like with poetry you know what to write about in each paragraph, and close text analysis is easy because you don't have many words to choose from, so when I'm faced with an entire play or novella I find it much harder!
Original post by roarchika
Oh no - am I the only one who finds prose much harder?? I feel like with poetry you know what to write about in each paragraph, and close text analysis is easy because you don't have many words to choose from, so when I'm faced with an entire play or novella I find it much harder!

Sorry for iintruding on this conversation but I agree with you 100%! I feel like the unit 1 exam is going to be much harder because of this, I dislike being asked a question too general about a text or play so long I have nowhere to start. With poetry you have definite points to make. Is this the same with you?
Original post by _ariane29
Sorry for iintruding on this conversation but I agree with you 100%! I feel like the unit 1 exam is going to be much harder because of this, I dislike being asked a question too general about a text or play so long I have nowhere to start. With poetry you have definite points to make. Is this the same with you?

Agreed - if I get asked a really specific question, e.g. one of the "how does ___ show themes of loneliness throughout the ___" then I'm fine, but as soon as it gets even slightly more general than that I blank out. Plus, not knowing exactly which paragraph will be what scares me!
Hello! I did GCSE English Lit last year and I can offer you all some advice if you want :yep:
For poetry, you just need to keep your cool. Normally you'll read the question, won't understand first time and panic. To avoid this, really pick apart the question. The marks are easy to pick up anyway, so if you're not entirely confident it probably won't make a difference grade wise anyway [s]ahee[/s
For the novels, just ensure you have a sound understanding of where things are in the text. This will make it easier for you in the exam.
Other than that, it's a fairly easy exam to get a C and up in so long as you don't panic.
Good luck everyone :awesome:
(A*)
Reply 159
Original post by tara_v
My mistake, the year before last was actually Yellow Palm and Hawk Roosting (not Mametz Wood)

Remember for this section there are two questions to chose from so I'm sure one of them will be more preferable to you :smile:

phew thanku u sound so damn wise I feel like im 6 I get so stressed. seriously tho thanku for tht :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending