The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Howdy all,

I'm a bit late to the party (didn't notice this thread at all). Applying for 2016 entry at Nottingham, Liverpool, Cambridge and ... somewhere else idk yet and sat the GAMSAT in March so practically dying from anticipation for my results. Got a 2:1 in Medical science and a MSc (res) in Neuro.

Original post by DelphiDeWitt
Yes, I have a question. How easy was it to get a job as a HCA? Most of the vacancies I see on the NHS jobs portal require prior experience as HCA or at least a qualification. I could probably only work part-time as a HCA too, are you PT or FT?

HCA jobs can be hard to get in physical care (I applied for literally 50 jobs over the course of 3 months). However, mental health is a doodle. Mental health centres cannot keep staff at all and are screaming for more HCAs they often get advertised as clinical support workers or clinical healthcare assistants so keep an eye out. I've been doing it since Dec and have now been offered a full-time phleb job as I have the required NHS experience :biggrin: . It also surprised me how much I took from the role, esp when it comes to communication with people who may not have capacity or dealing with distressed patients. So hopefully it will provide good interview fodder.

Getting stressed out by the quality of applicants this year and the uncertainty of funding so it is nice to have a place to chat/rant with others in the same boat.
Original post by Jatyization
What universities does everyone have their previous degrees in? Just curious aha... :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this so you can work out if it matters where you have a degree from for GEM? I can tell you it doesn't. My university hasn't even been a university for 10 years yet and most people haven't heard of it.
I was just interested in finding out... :biggrin:

I am fully aware that GEM is a form of widening access to medicine but interestingly, the website WhatDoTheyKnow obtained information and statistics form oxbridge that showed the number of GEM applicants from russell groups universities and those from non-russell groups universities and it seems that VERY few applicants are from non-russell group medical schools, further still most applicants that gain entry have graduated from oxbridge, yet they make up the minority of total applicants! Something I found unfair! :eek:. I think this is only the case with oxbridge however.

But yeah... I was just curious to find out. :smile:

The people on my course come from a wide range of backgrounds and universities. Most of them are not from an Oxbridge background.

There may be many reasons why students from Oxbridge appear have a higher success rate. They may perform better in entrance examination, or perform better under pressure and interview well. Who knows.
Oh wow! Thats so interesting... Yeah thats true aha, there could be lots of different reasons, going to try not to jump to conclusions. :biggrin:

I also wondering... What are the most important factors when applying to GEM medicine? Where do most people tend to fall down? With such high competition to place ratios, I always assumed that its partly down to chance that your given an offer.

Your help would be very much appreciated! I am actually an A2 student who will be reapplying to medicine (yeah, not been a good year :frown:) and looking more into my backup plans if all else fails after I reapply. :smile:

Getting at least a 2:1, acing entrance examinations and being able to reflect well on work experience.

But don't worry about GEM too much(as it all may have changed by then anyway), just focus on getting the grades so that you can reapply.
Thanks for your help! I do appreciate it! I will try to keep that in mined...

How do you mean change? Will it still be around? :s-smilie:

Sorry about the bombardment of questions :colondollar:

We honestly don't know. It's very possible four year courses will cease to exist (if registration moves to point of graduation, rather than at the end of fy1 like it is now) and we don't know if five year courses would be funded.
Hence why it's much better (well one of the many reasons) to get in as an undergrad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 425
Is anyone in the east midlands (Nottingham would be great!) who is studying for the GAMSAT this September? Looking to form a study group if anyone is interested.
Original post by Lxh524
Is anyone in the east midlands (Nottingham would be great!) who is studying for the GAMSAT this September? Looking to form a study group if anyone is interested.

Hey I'm in Notts and studying (or at least trying to!) for the GAMSAT this September, I'd be interested in a study group. Message me if you want to try and sort something out :smile:
Hi,

I am applying this year and like you I will be limiting myself to 2 universities due to only sitting the UKCAT (Kings and Warwick). I bought all the resources for GAMSAT however I now don't feel I am realistically going to be able to revise for both exams and if I do I will be jeopardising both results rather than focussing on one. What is the new Kings Criteria that is not enabling you to apply?
Original post by victoria25
Hi,

I am applying this year and like you I will be limiting myself to 2 universities due to only sitting the UKCAT (Kings and Warwick). I bought all the resources for GAMSAT however I now don't feel I am realistically going to be able to revise for both exams and if I do I will be jeopardising both results rather than focussing on one. What is the new Kings Criteria that is not enabling you to apply?

Kings have said that for 2016 entry only applicants with a science based degree can apply
Hi,

You can apply to more than 2 universities with the UKCAT
Original post by Absorbaloff
You can apply to more than 2 universities with the UKCAT

Not if she's an arts grad without a chemistry a level...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Assuming you are an arts grad with no science a levels, you can apply to Newcastle and Warwick but not kings. Ukcat doesn't require much revision, just exam practice really, so if you did it early you'd still have time to revise for GAMSAT. Have you considered doing a chemistry a level next year? That would make you eligible to apply to Southampton (if you get a decent UKCAT score).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a BSc degree in Nursing but no science A levels which is my limiting factor otherwise I would have a few more doors open. I just think the GAMSAT is going to be a massive push unless I get my ukcat out of the way first and see what score my position would put me in and then revise solidly. Can I do an A level this year before applying, I had initially dismissed that because GAMSAT was the alternative. Are you doing both exams this year?
I have a BSc degree in Nursing but no science A levels which is my limiting factor otherwise I would have a few more doors open. I just think the GAMSAT is going to be a massive push unless I get my ukcat out of the way first and see what score my position would put me in and then revise solidly. Can I do an A level this year before applying, I had initially dismissed that because GAMSAT was the alternative. Are you doing both exams this year?

If you have a nursing degree you may be able to apply to King's still, they do accept healthcare professionals but I think you have to have a minimum amount of experience and I'm not sure how much that is. Definitely worth a phone call to check though. I think some unis do count nursing as a science, so get calling!

You can start the A level whenever, sit the exams next June, and hence apply with a pending grade. For Southampton you only need a C. But unless you do well in the UKCAT there's no point applying to Southampton, because they decide on their interview shortlist purely on the basis of UKCAT score.

No I finished my 1st degree (Classics) in 2013, took the A Level in Chemistry in June 2014, and then applied last September with a strong UKCAT score. I got all 4 interviews as a result, offers for GEM from Southampton and Newcastle, undergrad offer from King's (they automatically consider Grads for A100 if they apply to A102 and don't quite make the cut after interview), and didn't go to my Warwick interview because I had the other offers by then and preferred Southampton, which is where I'll be going in September :biggrin:
Original post by JenniB22
If you have a nursing degree you may be able to apply to King's still, they do accept healthcare professionals but I think you have to have a minimum amount of experience and I'm not sure how much that is. Definitely worth a phone call to check though. I think some unis do count nursing as a science, so get calling!

You can start the A level whenever, sit the exams next June, and hence apply with a pending grade. For Southampton you only need a C. But unless you do well in the UKCAT there's no point applying to Southampton, because they decide on their interview shortlist purely on the basis of UKCAT score.

No I finished my 1st degree (Classics) in 2013, took the A Level in Chemistry in June 2014, and then applied last September with a strong UKCAT score. I got all 4 interviews as a result, offers for GEM from Southampton and Newcastle, undergrad offer from King's (they automatically consider Grads for A100 if they apply to A102 and don't quite make the cut after interview), and didn't go to my Warwick interview because I had the other offers by then and preferred Southampton, which is where I'll be going in September :biggrin:

Congrats on your offers! Have a great time in Southampton!
Original post by KirstieW
Congrats on your offers! Have a great time in Southampton!

Thanks! I'm really excited :smile:
Reply 436
Original post by DelphiDeWitt
If anyone else is studying for the GAMSAT in September and is in London, hoping to set up a study group so get in touch!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it possible for you to message me information about the study group please? :smile: Thank you!

You can do the gamsat a year in advance, you could also do your a-levels now and apply with a predicted grade
Reply 438
I just booked my UKCAT ah 🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 439
Original post by tw781
I just booked my UKCAT ah 🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, it's all starting to get very real!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending